Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron shafts similar to project x 6.5?

LoganT

Title says it all. I want to know if any of you golfers have played the project x 6.5 shafts and what other shafts on the market would be closest to them in terms of performance. (Launch, spin, etc.) I currently play these shafts and love the performance. I have gotten used to the feel of these but find myself desiring a different feel.

After playing Project X 6.0 iron shafts for 15 years I switched to Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 - S shafts for the past two years and really like the change.  The Modus3 130 - x shafts would be closer to the 6.5.

Driver: Taylormade '16 M2, Aldila NV 2KXV X

3W:  Taylormade '16 M2, Speeder 661 X

3:  Callaway X-forged UT 21*

4-P:  Callaway X-Forged, Modus 3 120 - S

Wedges:  50* - Callaway Apex Pro 19, 54* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black, 58* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black

Putter:  currently Odyssey Works V-Line Versa CB - 36"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X

3 hours ago, KatoGolfer said:

After playing Project X 6.0 iron shafts for 15 years I switched to Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 - S shafts for the past two years and really like the change.  The Modus3 130 - x shafts would be closer to the 6.5.

Did you see any differences in ball flight with the modus shafts compared to the project x?

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

I honestly think the best thing would be go hit different shafts and see what you like best.

I agree completely. I love the performance of the  project x shafts just wish I could find something that felt a little better

On 6/6/2020 at 2:00 PM, LoganT said:

Title says it all. I want to know if any of you golfers have played the project x 6.5 shafts and what other shafts on the market would be closest to them in terms of performance. (Launch, spin, etc.) I currently play these shafts and love the performance. I have gotten used to the feel of these but find myself desiring a different feel.

C-TAPER. Feel much better and characteristics match up very similar. Probably either S+ or X if you are playing 6.5

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 6/8/2020 at 1:43 PM, LoganT said:

Did you see any differences in ball flight with the modus shafts compared to the project x?

I find them a touch less boardy and am seeing slightly higher ball flight.

Driver: Taylormade '16 M2, Aldila NV 2KXV X

3W:  Taylormade '16 M2, Speeder 661 X

3:  Callaway X-forged UT 21*

4-P:  Callaway X-Forged, Modus 3 120 - S

Wedges:  50* - Callaway Apex Pro 19, 54* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black, 58* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black

Putter:  currently Odyssey Works V-Line Versa CB - 36"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X

On 6/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, KatoGolfer said:

I came here looking to ask a similar question!.  I currently have Rifle/Project X 6.5 in my 20 year old irons. Never been fit, but looking to possibly get new similar clubs soon.  I noticed these on Sub-70 used page.  Though I like the price point and the look of the 639 CB/MB Black combo, I'm afraid to go to the KBS Tour V90 Stiff shaft.  There are some 639CB satin w/ Pro modus 120 X-Stiff for a bit more, but looks like might be a better fit based on the shaft.

image.png.ddece3619bace1a256e9f0d62de9b0d6.png

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Modus 120 is a very different profile compared to PX. Way softer under the hands and in the middle section of the shaft. They are similarly firm in the tip section though. Not saying, that you can not replace PX by a Modus 120, but it’s not a given, that it will work out the intended way.

The easiest replacement is the C-Taper 130X.....very similar shaft, since it’s been designed to mimic the PX. Another option could be DG X7. 

In my experience there is no shaft like PX. From what I remember of our discussion at their HQ the PX shaft is stout the whole length of the shaft whereas other companies change tend to have a section of their shafts play softer in some sections than others.

Keep in mind that shafts are going to feel and perform different for each person as well as possible performance differences between heads.

The best thing to do is get fit for a shaft that matches your swing with your head choice.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1