Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Square face when putting on grips.

Does anyone have any tricks when putting on grips to make sure the face is square?  

I have seen some benches with a laser or a board at the end with lines that makes sure it’s square.  I want to know if anyone has any do it yourself ways that you make sure the club head is straight in when gripping clubs.  

Driver: Titleist Titanium 983K, 10.5, Aldial Green 85-X

FW: Nike Covert VRS 2.0, 15, Kuro Kage 70G

Hybrid: Adams A4 3H, 18,  Rayon Javlnfx h80

Iron: JPX 900 Forged 4-5 JPX 900 Tour 6-PW, Project X 5.5

Wedges:SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 60 D Grind

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot 9, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

Ball: Titleist Prov1x

There's the old door trick. If you have a nice plain wooden door, once you have fitted the grip and it's still capable of adjustment, place the flat face of the grip against the thin edge of the open door. If it's square, the putter face will rest flat against the door face. Simple enough - but doesn't work for every putter, but most designs will be fine. You could also try along the horizontal edge of a workbench or kitchen counter top. Anything with a right-angled edge long enough will do.

Get a horizontal bubble level and rubber band it to the face of the putter to make sure the face is level in your vice. Then use another bubble level to lay flat on the grip when you install it. If both levels are in the center then the grip is square. 

Z3Dsqxfo5oy.jpeg

My bag is a revolving door!

Aside from a putter grip I pretty much eyeball it. And even with a putter I don't get all scientific with it. The door trick sounds good and something I'd try.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Whenever I put a putter grip on for someone, I would always immediately bring it out to them. People’s eyes play tricks on them. I might think that it’s dead nuts square, but the guy wants it turned ever so slightly. I would lay it on the flat counter and see if the thing was square. You’d be shocked how many putters come from the manufacturers with the grips not square 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

On 6/7/2020 at 12:03 PM, 03trdblack said:

Get a horizontal bubble level and rubber band it to the face of the putter to make sure the face is level in your vice. Then use another bubble level to lay flat on the grip when you install it. If both levels are in the center then the grip is square. 

Z3Dsqxfo5oy.jpeg

Thats cool.