TESTERS WANTED! ×

I Probably Don't Need 14 Clubs...

Middler

Not that there's a right answer for everyone, depends on the player, the course, course management, preferences but it's interesting how I only use my last 7 clubs 7% of the time. We all know the putter is first for everyone, but our club selection after that varies considerably I'm sure. Just for laughs...

Picture1.png

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Nice to see the data with this. I played with 13 clubs for the last 3 years, until recently adding a driving iron that I had envisioned using 6 or so times a round, but actually only use once or twice. Would be just fine without it. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I went minimalist last year and dont miss having 14 clubs and dont notice that my scores are any different.  Not to mention my bag is lighter and with only 9 clubs, I can just have a Sunday bag, which is even lighter still; so it makes walking more enjoyable and less tiring.  IMO, you dont need more than 9 clubs.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I carry 13 clubs and actually use them all to one degree or another. Some more some less. If I didn't need or play some of them I'd certainly ditch them. I will tell you who doesn't need 14 clubs. The guys on TV playing the 3-club tour. And... they should all be carrying a Sunday bag as well. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I mean you only "Need" 1 club. The purpose of having more is so you have the option when needed to play a different shot. For example, you can chip around the green with a 9i (substitute any other club here if you want), but there are shots that will be easier to pull off consistently if you had other option (short sided, downhill, over a trap is a lot easier with a 60* than it is a 9i if you want to have a chance at being near the hole). You can putt by bladeing a wedge or using a driver/3 wood on the green. I've done it...do I do it as well as a putter? No, because it is a better club for that shot. I will concede that if there is a club in your bag that is for a particular shot, and you are not able to consistently hit that shot, then you may be better off not having the club to tempt you into trying and forcing you to default to a more reliable shot. However, if you have the skill, and the space in the bag, having a club for those once a round needs, can save your round. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Cool topic.

I actually did a similar breakdown of club use during a round at my home course and determined that I do not use my 4 iron or 5 wood more than once per round....maybe. Last week I played a new to me course and used the 5 wood four times but never pulled the 4 iron out of the bag so I ditched the 4 iron when I got back home, didn't hit it well at all anyways. Other clubs in my bag that don't get a lot of use at my home course found a lot more time in my hands at the new course. So I am down to 13 clubs at the moment.

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I’ve looked very closely at my club usage the past two seasons and learned the following.

I could play with 13 clubs. I carry 14 because that’s what is allowed but there is normally a club in my bag that is rarely used. The kicker is it will depend on which course I’m playing.

I have four courses that I play regularly. On 2 of them i will almost never touch 3 wood - I would be smarter to just pull it and out in an extra wedge but that would require pulling 58 for 60 and being dialed in around the green is too important for that.

I have one course that I play where I may hit 3 wood off the tee 4 or 5 times. And another where it could get hit off the tee 3 times depending on wind direction.

So I think I will stick with the 3 wood, 48,52,58 combo that I’ve been using -

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Only carry 12 clubs, lob wedge to 5 iron, putter, 5w and driver.  Large gap between 5w and driver but not filled until I find the right club I can hit consistantly.  

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I only have 13 clubs currently.  Still looking for the right gap wedge.  I use the top end and bottom end of my bag a lot.  The clubs I don't use much are my 5, 6,7 and 8... well, unless I duff a shot.  The mid-irons become necessary when the wind changes, so Yes I need them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I carry 13 clubs and actually use them all to one degree or another. Some more some less. If I didn't need or play some of them I'd certainly ditch them. I will tell you who doesn't need 14 clubs. The guys on TV playing the 3-club tour. And... they should all be carrying a Sunday bag as well. LOL

It will be interesting to see how the big dogs play Colonial.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interesting.. I have been looking at my club use through arccos and I started taking our clubs I don’t use. I don’t use 14 clubs but I want 14 in my bag. Finding more use from wedges lately. Might have as many as 5 very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe