TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are the best Irons to upgrade my set?

I started with a Strata set of Irons when I begun and they have been great (I recommend them for anyone starting out) but now I am shooting around 100 and want to shave a few more strokes off my score to consistently shoot in the 90's. What is the best irons to upgrade to? I am looking at used irons but want something that is very forgiving and consistent. 

What has been everyone's experience with brands and types as they have progressed in the game. The irons are the last piece of my bag I haven't upgraded yet. 

Note: Not looking for people to sell me a set (pure advice only). 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

All the companies make good equipment and everyone’s experience with each brand will vary. 

The best irons to upgrade to are the ones that fit you and your swing the best

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There are lots of good used options, I would suggest looking for irons with the correct flex shaft. Get a lesson ask the pro what they think you should get.

I am shooting in the high 90s and always thought regular flex was what I should be playing based solely on my scoring abilities. I recently was fitted for the first time (always played off the rack or used) the fitter from Ping ordered me stiff shaft. I have the speed and he said regular flex was actually promoting/exaggerating my over the top motion 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m still learning too, no expert. But that’s my experience. 

Can’t wait for my new sticks to arrive! 

Cocorover 

I’d buy a full set of Mizuno JPX921 Forged irons this Fall. I’m not sure what anyone else should buy, the range of choices from muscleback blades to SGI shovels and everything in between is HUGE. Then there are shafts, HUGE differences. There is no best, for someone trying to break into the 90’s, or anyone else...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I've never had new clubs, but I've had "like new" clubs. I would buy used from an online shop if you know what fits you? If you con't know what you hit best go to a shop and hit as many different brands they have. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

• Guests
Guest Delete
6 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

I started with a Strata set of Irons when I begun and they have been great (I recommend them for anyone starting out) but now I am shooting around 100 and want to shave a few more strokes off my score to consistently shoot in the 90's. What is the best irons to upgrade to? I am looking at used irons but want something that is very forgiving and consistent. 

What has been everyone's experience with brands and types as they have progressed in the game. The irons are the last piece of my bag I haven't upgraded yet. 

Note: Not looking for people to sell me a set (pure advice only). 

It really depends on how you swing and what kind of contact you make. 

The sole of the club makes a difference depending on how you hit the ground - forward shaft lean at impact our something else. 

The size of the club head you can play depends on your sweet spot consistency. I believe game improvement clubs benefit almost any player but, if you already hit a high ball then a low COG club might launch too high. 

Then there is offset, shaft weight/flex, lie angle, and grip size/material that all affect your experience with the club. 

Not to mention how well you hit your long irons vs trying hybrids or woods. 

If you have a good golf store with practice hitting bays nearby then it is worth trying things yourself. 

Tell us more about your swing, misses, distances, preferences, and the MGS community might be able to respond more directly. 

In general, a good set of Ping, Taylormade, or Titleist irons will never fail if you have the right shaft and flex. 

Hi, if I was you I would really look into Sub70 (www.sub70golf.com) for your new sticks.

the irons they produce are top notch (I will soon write extensive review of my latest experience) and Jason (the CEO) will literally spend as much time at the phone with you to give you the right ones. Prices are incredible and you will have a new latest technology at the Price of an outdated used one. 
of course MGS is a big fan of their 699s, but also their game improvement model seems great.

in alternative of course callaway has a great preowned site where you can truly score good deals

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

• Guests
Guest Delete
19 minutes ago, Wondergiulio said:

Hi, if I was you I would really look into Sub70 (www.sub70golf.com) for your new sticks.

the irons they produce are top notch (I will soon write extensive review of my latest experience) and Jason (the CEO) will literally spend as much time at the phone with you to give you the right ones. Prices are incredible and you will have a new latest technology at the Price of an outdated used one. 
of course MGS is a big fan of their 699s, but also their game improvement model seems great.

in alternative of course callaway has a great preowned site where you can truly score good deals

I am more a fan of the Maltby clubs from Golfworks.com because they cost less and are more forgiving. 

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000198and100000001207eq100000001209/

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

I am more a fan of the Maltby clubs from Golfworks.com because they cost less and are more forgiving. 

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000198and100000001207eq100000001209/

I have never tried. But they have good reviews as well.

On the price point I have to say that Marley you need to build and finish to cost more if you include a good shaft. The shafts on your page are on the cheap side.

I actually made a quote on my same iron specs and Maltby came About same price

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

• Guests
Guest Delete
1 hour ago, Wondergiulio said:

I have never tried. But they have good reviews as well.

On the price point I have to say that Marley you need to build and finish to cost more if you include a good shaft. The shafts on your page are on the cheap side.

I actually made a quote on my same iron specs and Maltby came About same price

Absolutely, those were the middle of the road, slightly lighter, and high launching shafts as their stock offerings. This is the premium shaft combos they have that are in the $300-500 range which is less than half of a new make OEM set

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000001207eq100000001208and100000000159eq100000000198and100000000181eq100000000192/

I like the PTM forged and the KE4 Tour+ irons the most right now. If you want a more ultra game improvement iron then the STI is great. 

Another site I like to buy from is globalgolf.Com where they have deals like this - https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/1001921-ping-i3-o-size-iron-set/used/?flx=2&len=17

I like Globalgolf because it is easy to look for clubs by flex, type, lie, and length. They also have a lot of detail about the shafts to make sure you know what you are getting. 

Another site I like is Callaway Golf Pre-owned. You can find Callaway clubs and other brands too. It is a little harder to narrow down but it is worth browsing through it to find good deals. 

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/irons-bb-x14-pro.html?cgid=iron-sets

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/other-brands/club-type/iron-sets/

I would suggest going to a reputable store that does fittings, give them your budget and let them assist you in finding what works for you.

I played a SLDR driver for 5 years and hit it extremely straight however, I changed it as it wasn’t very forgiving. Went to Callaway Rogue Sub Zero and got 10 yards more on Centre strikes but, 10 yards further in the bushes. I was fit for the SLDR but not the Callaway.

Get fit

Driver: image.jpeg.34eaee8382f091fe0a3c22d07a128f3d.jpeg TS2 10.5* A-1 Tensai AV 55 Stiff

3 Wood: image.jpeg.e516c276ea3badda924b599efc74dc44.jpeg Epic BB Sub Zero Fujikura Pro 62 Stiff

Driving Iron: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 UDI Project X, Hzrdus 85g

Irons: image.jpeg.b7214da2fa3cda117f55d5a1eca9bfdc.jpeg 0211 4-PW Elevate 95 Stiff

Wedges: image.jpeg.eefc27879a3aeb4584a2da0c9fc3cc61.jpeg RTX 4. 50, 56, 60 degrees

Putter: image.jpeg.5f24b023b8db3d017291f4cd9e670f90.jpeg Huntington Beach 11 

Ball: image.jpeg.4ebe90b87a3ca1ef4804bec7677e8df7.jpeg  Chrome Soft Truvis

6 hours ago, TimoTe said:

The sole of the club makes a difference depending on how you hit the ground - forward shaft lean at impact our something else. 

The size of the club head you can play depends on your sweet spot consistency. I believe game improvement clubs benefit almost any player but, if you already hit a high ball then a low COG club might launch too high. 

Then there is offset, shaft weight/flex, lie angle, and grip size/material that all affect your experience with the club. 

If you have a good golf store with practice hitting bays nearby then it is worth trying things yourself. 

Tell us more about your swing, misses, distances, preferences, and the MGS community might be able to respond more directly. 

In general, a good set of Ping, Taylormade, or Titleist irons will never fail if you have the right shaft and flex. 

No callaway? 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

13 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Thank you for your detailed answer. Only recently have I been able to get my swing to start hitting the iron in the air proper distances. Before that I was shanking them low and to the left. Right handed. I have a medium swing speed. I have a 4 hybrid which helps me get distance and I am wanting to start my iron set at 5 to PW.   I have a Roger Dunn near me and I got my driver fitted there. I think I might just have to go there and use one of their booths. I was wondering what brands are more forgiving but had some feedback as I progress. Thank you for mentioning some brands, that is what I was looking for. There are so many irons out there to choose from. I think I might look at TaylorMade, Ping and Callaway options. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
7 hours ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

No callaway? 

Nope. I guessed that he might not do well with the Apex line up because it is a more players cavity. And, I'm not a fan of the X series, big Bertha, or Steelheads when Ping has that area so well covered with the G series clubs and Taylormade Ms and Titleist AP1s. I think those are better in the game improvement categories. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
1 hour ago, Nateyeight said:

Thank you for your detailed answer. Only recently have I been able to get my swing to start hitting the iron in the air proper distances. Before that I was shanking them low and to the left. Right handed. I have a medium swing speed. I have a 4 hybrid which helps me get distance and I am wanting to start my iron set at 5 to PW.   I have a Roger Dunn near me and I got my driver fitted there. I think I might just have to go there and use one of their booths. I was wondering what brands are more forgiving but had some feedback as I progress. Thank you for mentioning some brands, that is what I was looking for. There are so many irons out there to choose from. I think I might look at TaylorMade, Ping and Callaway options. 

Great idea to go to the store. 

If you have a medium swing speed then look at either regular or stiff flex. 

If you are under 45 years old, and you just started golfing then you can grow into stiff. Or if you have a jerky tempo then stiff. 

If you can't swing faster because of age or flexibility issues then Reg flex would be fine. 

Look at Ping G's, Taylormade Ms, and Callaway Steelheads or Big Bertha. All those help get the ball in the air. I put them in order of my most liked to least. 

The shaft is a timing device to make most consistent impact so choosing graphite or steel is just about what helps you be more consistent. 

5 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Great idea to go to the store. 

If you have a medium swing speed then look at either regular or stiff flex. 

If you are under 45 years old, and you just started golfing then you can grow into stiff. Or if you have a jerky tempo then stiff. 

If you can't swing faster because of age or flexibility issues then Reg flex would be fine. 

Look at Ping G's, Taylormade Ms, and Callaway Steelheads or Big Bertha. All those help get the ball in the air. I put them in order of my most liked to least. 

The shaft is a timing device to make most consistent impact so choosing graphite or steel is just about what helps you be more consistent. 

I am under 45 and have medium swing because I am focusing on my technique more than power. Which has helped a lot. When I get more consistent I will be able to swing a lot faster. I have been playing regularly for the last 2 years and have shaved about 10-15 strokes of my score now, and want to consistently shoot in the 90's. I will go test out the Ping G's and TaylorMade Ms when I go visit the store next. My other shafts are all regular. 

Thanks again for the advice. 

When you say used, how old are you thinking?  Within 5 years? 10 years?  I think you should definitely go to Roger Dunn to check out the clubs and hit them but dont make an impulse buy.   Things to look for: cavity back, probably a wide sole, and tech for where the the center of gravity. 

I would take a notepad to rodger dunn and look for what is in your price range, ask questions, test the clubs, and then go home and look up those clubs for the details and reviews.  If its within 5 years, My Golf Spy is probably a good place qfor research.  Once what you hear, what you researched, and what it felt like to test the clubs align, then I would make a purchase.  

As far as OEMs, I think Ping is a good place to go.  

59 minutes ago, Chizzle said:

When you say used, how old are you thinking?  Within 5 years? 10 years?  I think you should definitely go to Roger Dunn to check out the clubs and hit them but dont make an impulse buy.   Things to look for: cavity back, probably a wide sole, and tech for where the the center of gravity. 

I would take a notepad to rodger dunn and look for what is in your price range, ask questions, test the clubs, and then go home and look up those clubs for the details and reviews.  If its within 5 years, My Golf Spy is probably a good place qfor research.  Once what you hear, what you researched, and what it felt like to test the clubs align, then I would make a purchase.  

As far as OEMs, I think Ping is a good place to go.  

I was thinking 2018 or 2019 irons. Just waiting for that one person who upgrades every year and trades the old ones in or is selling them haha. I will definitely take your advice about testing and not buying right away.  I have been reading and the M6's are getting good reviews. I will go test them out and the Pings.  

• Guests
Guest Delete
19 minutes ago, Nateyeight said:

I was thinking 2018 or 2019 irons. Just waiting for that one person who upgrades every year and trades the old ones in or is selling them haha. I will definitely take your advice about testing and not buying right away.  I have been reading and the M6's are getting good reviews. I will go test them out and the Pings.  

The great thing about Roger Dunn is their exchange policy because you can get 100% store credit within 45 or 90 days towards another set if the ones you picked just don't work for you. 

There is NOT much difference between the M4s and M6s other than getting a better deal on price. Save with the Ping G, G30 and G400 - tech is very similar. 

3 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

The great thing about Roger Dunn is their exchange policy because you can get 100% store credit within 45 or 90 days towards another set if the ones you picked just don't work for you. 

There is NOT much difference between the M4s and M6s other than getting a better deal on price. Save with the Ping G, G30 and G400 - tech is very similar. 

Good to know!

Locate all the Golf Performance Centres close to you and go get analyzed. Hit as many brands and as many of their irons as you can. I went to Callaway, Ping, Mizuno and Cobra and hit 4-5 different models with 3-4 different shafts. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I agree, give Sub70 a look

Sent from my moto g(7) power using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Cobra Speedzone 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.bf0039c0fa211a003217e70e184035fa.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg  

Utility- Titleist 718 T-MB 4 Utility  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

Irons- Sub70 649 MB Tour 5-PW, 699 Pro 2U  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Cleveland Zipcore RTX 52°,56°, 60°  default_cleveland-small.jpg.0615c53919b7f92c3524630e353b33bb.jpg

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 default_cameron-small.gif.dd99234f0267bb38c40c23053034a445.gif

Ball- Titleist ProV1x default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg