TESTERS WANTED! ×

If you did carry a specialty club...

Single use clubs  

167 members have voted

1. 1. If you were to carry a specialty club, what would it be?

• A second driver (for accuracy)
    • A second driver (for distance)
    • Another tee club (driving iron) for accuracy
    • A rescue club (for bad lies)
    • An extreme loft wedge
    • A specialty bunker club
    • A chipper
    • A club for hitting off rocks, etc.
    • A left-handed club (or right for lefties)
    • A second putter

It's interesting that @Middler started a thread this morning that, on the basis usage data, he might not need 14 clubs. I had been thinking something similiar, but for different reasons: like many mid-speed players with middling ball-striking skills, I don't get consistent yardage gaps between the clubs at the top of my bag. If I dropped one of my fairway woods, I doubt my game would suffer much.

But it seems to me that absent other considerations (weight, etc.), if you're allowed to carry 14 clubs, it makes sense to (even if a club is only used for one particular shot).

So the poll question: if you were to carry a club that has a single job in your bag, what would it be, and why?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Hmmm I’d probably go with a lefty club (maybe like a 9 iron ) for those awkward next to a tree.

But perhaps one of these would lead to even bette results

IMG_9985.GIF

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

This is actually very interesting. I voted a lefty club which would have dual purpose for me. 1 obviously being giving me an advantage in odd locations where I can’t fit a seing being a righty. I would probably get a mid lofted iron for this case like a 7/8. Second it could be my rock club lol

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I chose driver for distance. How far are we talking in distance? If it is enough to drive the green/get close to short par 4's, or get into position to have comfortable second shot for par 5 and I don't have to swing like @GB13 or pull a muscle, I'm in. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I'm with @B.Boston and @Lacassem on picking the left handed club for situations where I can't swing right handed. Between SuperSpeed training and backyard wedge practice where I'll occasionally turn the wedge toe down to the ground and try to hit the ball, I feel comfortable hitting from the left side to get out of trouble. 

I'm with [mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] and [mention=85612]Lacassem[/mention] on picking the left handed club for situations where I can't swing right handed. Between SuperSpeed training and backyard wedge practice where I'll occasionally turn the wedge toe down to the ground and try to hit the ball, I feel comfortable hitting from the left side to get out of trouble. 

Those SuperSpeed swings would certainly
Come in handy to make it feel less strange. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Those SuperSpeed swings would certainly
Come in handy to make it feel less strange. Haha

I've toyed with the idea of buying a left handed driver just to take to the range and see how bad it might be. The only thing that's stopped me so far is I can't find one at a price I'm willing to pay. 

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm with @B.Boston and @Lacassem on picking the left handed club for situations where I can't swing right handed. Between SuperSpeed training and backyard wedge practice where I'll occasionally turn the wedge toe down to the ground and try to hit the ball, I feel comfortable hitting from the left side to get out of trouble. 

We have a very odd hole (was in a video the other day from my round) and it’s all rock slabs on the right side, have had to take my putter or 4 iron and hit against the wall and bounce it off to the green....a lefty rock club would have come in handy there

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I've toyed with the idea of buying a left handed driver just to take to the range and see how bad it might be. The only thing that's stopped me so far is I can't find one at a price I'm willing to pay. 

My cousins range usually has some clubs to use. Maybe I’ll see if there’s a lefty one there and record my swing next time. Haha

I pondered the specialty bunker club, but have learned to hit a bunker shot decent enough to get out in one. Maybe would pick the specialty chipper. Seems like my short game is bad when my long game is good, but if my long game is bad, my short game comes through. Would use the chipper on the bad short game days.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I have 12 ‘essential’ clubs and room to swap in 2 ‘utility’ clubs based on the course, conditions, and my mood. Here’s my top 3:

1. Cobra F9 One Length 4i. I bent the loft down to 16* and play it with the same shaft as the rest of my irons. Because I wiped out all the bounce, it’s a tee only club, but my Arccos average with it is 235 yards, 10 yards less than my driver average and 5 yards more than my 4w. If I’m playing a narrow lay out that goes in the bag.

2. 64* Callaway sureout clone. I play a course with 10’ tall greenside bunkers fronting the green on a few holes. If you plug in the back wall of one of these pot bunkers you have to take an unplayable, go out backwards, or square the club face and chop as hard as you can under the bottom of the ball and pray. The 64* version of the cally sureout has a sharp edge that knifes in for these shots and I’ve dropped the jaws of much better players by saving some horrific bunker lies. I hate the sureout for normal bunker shots and only bring it for courses with tall “eff you” pot bunkers.

3. Cobra King 60* One Length. A full swing with a 7i length 60 wedge goes comically high, especially if you hit down on the ball. This goes in the bag alongside my standard lob wedge to be used only for going over mature trees or over trees at the top of a hill to get back on the fairway (my home course Boulder Creek is MEAN if you miss fairways in the wrong spot).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I would throw an muscle back 2 iron as a specialty club. When you absolutely, positively need to keep it low, go 2 iron

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Chipper.  Theres times when it would probably save me strokes around the green.  I just hate carrying a club that is a 1 trick pony.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I actually just put the Srixon U85 iron into play this year.  It was a prize from the winter league I was in and I have 0 regrets!  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

already play a driving iron. I have gotten pretty good at choking up on my driver when I need to be accurate. The only two that really interest me are the lefty club and the extreme loft wedge. Went with the wedge because I just think I would use it more. 

I will say one time accidentally carrying my  daughters 7 iron down in the bottom of the bag saved me in a tournament. I only carried 13 clubs then, but I would put her 7 iron in to go make for an easier trip to the range and often it would fall down in the bag. Forgot I had it until I landed right on the edge of a deep pot bunker. The ball was nearly waist high and my setup is comical until something flashed in my head to dig for that club. That helped get me in a decent position and I put it on the green from 130 out. So cheers to the short club. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I guess I have a different mental approach to this game.  I'm of the mindset that my 3 wood, irons, hybrids, and 3 of my wedges are the only true multipurpose clubs in my bag.  Driver, driving iron, and putter are all specialty clubs for me.  My 60⁰ wedge is a bit of a specialty club in that I use it explicitly from 30 yards in.  Doesn't matter where the ball is, that's the club I want in my hand to make those shots.  My 3 wood is borderline specialty because I only use it on the tee and from the fairway.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

It's interesting that @Middler started a thread this morning that, on the basis usage data, he might not need 14 clubs. I had been thinking something similiar, but for different reasons: like many mid-speed players with middling ball-striking skills, I don't get consistent yardage gaps between the clubs at the top of my bag. If I dropped one of my fairway woods, I doubt my game would suffer much.

But it seems to me that absent other considerations (weight, etc.), if you're allowed to carry 14 clubs, it makes sense to (even if a club is only used for one particular shot).

So the poll question: if you were to carry a club that has a single job in your bag, what would it be, and why?

I only need 4 clubs to play golf, 8 to score better, 14 to score my best, and maybe 16/17 to have a club for every situation. 

I voted for a lefty club on the basis that this would probably help out in that one random situation than any of the other specialty clubs would. The times I would use the other stated specialty clubs, I could think of different ways of utilizing my current set for those situations. There have been a handful of times I have played lefty out of trouble, but I have resorted to flipping a club upside down to play. Carrying an actual lefty iron would make this much easier! I like to mess around lefty as it is (have a driver and 5w that a friend gave me) but I don't have any irons. Seeing as I only play with 13 clubs in the bag right now, I might just bag a lefty club...

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I don’t have or want any of the novelty specialty clubs. I voted extreme loft wedge as the next to last club I bought was a 60* wedge. In truth my 3H, 3i and 60* rotate in and out as my 13th & 14th club - I’d love to carry all three but I’d have 15, no can do.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I already have/use an iron/utility/hybrid off the tee for accuracy, my course needs that for much of the back nine.  So were I to have room, I'd probably go with a 62* wedge, for those lovely shots around the green.

I've been playing with old school setups much of the year, with a 56* wedge on top of my PW.  A 62* wedge fills the progression nicely.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• Guests
Guest Delete

There are a couple overlaps and specialty clubs I own that wander in and out of the bag depending on conditions and the 14 club limit. 

Usual setup: D, 5w, 4h, 4i/u, 5-G, S, L, P = 14

I have two 3 woods, a 3i/utility, 72* lob, and a chipper. The 72* and chipper are the only two "specialty" clubs that are true to the definition. 

The 72* is only useful when bunkers are rock hard or you find yourself on hard pan (super tight lies) quite a bit. 

The chipper is a fun club that is 37* loft with an upright lie for a Putter type motion. It also works well out of the rough. I used it more when I was new to golf. 

The 3i utility I have is a hybrid of a driving iron and hybrid with a hybrid shaft and produces a lower ball flight than my 4h which is the same loft 21*. In windy conditions or more links style courses the 3i/u works better than the 4h. 

I carry my driver about 240. My 5w carries about 215-220. So carrying a 3w for fitting between those usually isn't beneficial to push another club out of the bag. The exception is long courses with big greens where I would have a chance to reach a long par four or par 5 in 2. 

So if there wasn't a limit on clubs I would carry my normal bag with a 3w, 3i/u, 72*, and chipper all the time = 18 clubs. 

On a side note, I have a friend who carries a 54* and 56* for the 5 yard gap. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I have an old Alpha 410cc (I think) driver head that's 15°.  My kid used it when he was younger and I have no need for it anymore.  I could build it up for you to try.  Msg me if interested.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

As much as it hurts to say, I would carry a chipper.

I lose 3-4 strokes a round to bad chipping and I tend to putt off the green any time I can. Chipper makes perfect sense for my game 

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length