How do you judge a course?

• Guests
Guest Delete
1 minute ago, The 19th Hole said:

$25 A ROUND!?!?!?! man I live in the wrong area...Many courses in this area charge that just for your cart!!! Lucky guy. 

That's with a cart and an adult beverage. 

Just now, TimoTe said:

That's with a cart and an adult beverage. 

Sarcastic Game Master GIF by Hyper RPG

• Haha 1
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

The criteria I look for is as follows:

1) Course conditioning,   Good grass, playable rough, quicker greens, good sand in the bunkers

2) Course layout,  Pleasing to the eye, the feeling of being out in nature (no houses, no back and forth), turns and elevation changes. Options on shots (risk / reward)

3) Reasonable rates. What they ask for on top 100 / premium courses for the most part is ridiculous. I'm going to start a new topic on this shortly.

4) A place to eat and socialize after the round. It doesn't have to be fancy.

5) Decent carts. If I'm on a new course and there is a blind shot or dog leg, I would like to be able to drive up and make sure the course is clear or see what the best layup position is. I don't want to hit into someone. Ban cart path only! Unless the course is saturated. I don't mind walking on familiar courses.

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I judge a course by the condition of the greens and the tee boxes.  If the greens look like theyve been bombed and are covered in ball marks or if the tee boxes are uneven or have lots of bare ground from divots; its probably not a very good course.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 blue ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Ahh I forgot about accessibility. But my definition is different than yours. There are some courses in my area that are just hard to get on to unless you book over a week or sometimes 2 in advance. Like I can't just wake up in the morning and be like..."I think I want to play x course today"...that is unless I want to go and wait a couple of hours and hope for a spot to open up for a single.

(note: This is before the covid situation, and I have not just gone out golfing on a whim yet, so this may not be a problem like it was before currently) 

I agree with you on the thought of accessibility, that's part of the definition too. For example in my area there are a few courses that have a "one price all the time" policy. They keep rates super low, like $25 for 18+ cart on a weekend, so their tee sheet is full all the time, but they also allow walk-ups too, so the course is always jam packed and 6 hour rounds are normal.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Greens and weirdly hot dogs. The only time I find myself eating a hot dog is on the golf course and I've been fortunate to only eat decent hot dogs. But the quality of the greens are my only metric. A crappy place isn't going to have an all of a sudden stellar green, a mediocre course layout can have a great grounds crew and tight greens and if you're paying $90+ on a round the greens are expected to be great. We spend most of our time on or around the greens anyway so I want the place I spend most of my time to be have the best conditions possible. You can come back and practice, get the feel for with or against the grains, really practice your short game on good greens.

Edited by Skulled Birdies

Green conditions are tops but just recently realized that the tee box is important to me.  I can understand the divots but what I cant stand is when there isn't a flat or even semi flat surface.  Having the greens be like turtle shells is tough enough but to also have multiple tee boxes with a slope or slightly turtle shelled tee boxes turn me off from a course.