Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rating Potential Move By Golf

nynoles

Hello fellow spies,

I am moving next summer.  My wife is in medical school and will be applying to residency programs and next March we will find out where we will be living for 3 years.  Being analytical in nature, and a golf enthusiast, I was wondering if people familiar with the quality/quantity of golf in any of the following cities could give me some pointers on how to evaluate where we may end up!  Obviously it will not be the only factor (she has a say too after all), but just looking for some input.

In no particular order, the top 4 candidates are currently as follows:

1) Raleigh, NC

2) Charlottesville, VA

3) Columbus, OH

4) Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

I might not be very good, but I walk and play fast!

Going by Golf Alone---Raleigh, NC hands down no question.   You have 3 great university courses at NC State, Duke and UNC.  You have Tobacco Road 30 to 40 minutes south of Raleigh and Pinehurst about and hour south of Raleigh, you'll have more courses to play than time available.  

As to quality of the cities, all are great medical field areas which I assume she already knows.   So factors outside of golf, I'd rank them.

1) Raleigh-Lived there for several years and it's a great overall area, fantastic for college sports, NHL team, minor league baseball and the best weather of any of the choices.

2) Columbus-Some of the nicest people in the world in Ohio, and you are between two major league cities, Cincinnati and Cleveland both reasonable drives if you need to see NFL or MLB  and NHL is right there in town.

4) Pittsburgh, really has changed from a steel town with dirty air and rivers.  So many great culture and professional sports to do.  Fantastic multiple Universities in the area as well.  Probably the worst weather city of the 4 though as far as winters go.

5) Charlottesville- A great college town, and hospital.  But really not a lot else there to attract me within a reasonable drive.   You'd really have to be tied into UVA in my mind to make that a high choice. Pretty area in the fall though. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

16 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Going by Golf Alone---Raleigh, NC hands down no question.   You have 3 great university courses at NC State, Duke and UNC.  You have Tobacco Road 30 to 40 minutes south of Raleigh and Pinehurst about and hour south of Raleigh, you'll have more courses to play than time available.  

As to quality of the cities, all are great medical field areas which I assume she already knows.   So factors outside of golf, I'd rank them.

1) Raleigh-Lived there for several years and it's a great overall area, fantastic for college sports, NHL team, minor league baseball and the best weather of any of the choices.

2) Columbus-Some of the nicest people in the world in Ohio, and you are between two major league cities, Cincinnati and Cleveland both reasonable drives if you need to see NFL or MLB  and NHL is right there in town.

4) Pittsburgh, really has changed from a steel town with dirty air and rivers.  So many great culture and professional sports to do.  Fantastic multiple Universities in the area as well.  Probably the worst weather city of the 4 though as far as winters go.

5) Charlottesville- A great college town, and hospital.  But really not a lot else there to attract me within a reasonable drive.   You'd really have to be tied into UVA in my mind to make that a high choice. Pretty area in the fall though. 

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

I might not be very good, but I walk and play fast!