rsilman

Cobra Speedzone Driver

Our Sponsors

I have been considering a new driver this year, and I really like the looks of the SZ driver with the infinity face wrapping onto the crown. Has anyone hit this driver or played it? I would love to know about its ability to keep spin low and also about its forgiveness. Lastly, as I'm torn when I see pictures of the two, do you all prefer the gloss/yellow or matte/white color scheme and why? 

Cheers all!

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9.5* (set to 8.75*) w/ Accra Tour Z RPG 462 M4+

3 Wood: :titelist-small:TS2 15* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited 80 

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 915H 18* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White HY 90 

Irons: :mizuno-small: HMB (4–6) / MMC (7–PW) combo set w/ True Temper DG X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 54 S-grind / 58 M-grind w/ DG S300

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Rx V-line Fang

Ball: 1258905727_vicegolflogo.png.aa98311b5065658a12dee5e7f32356df.pngPro  

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 

Search for @chisag recent SZ review. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

16 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

Search for @chisag recent SZ review. 

Thank you! I just read the review and it was a great write up!

I hit the SZ yesterday as my current driver - Callaway BB Fusion has a crack in it. I found that it was very forgiving and really long but did not like the way it felt. That said I was at the local course pro shop and they do not have a fitting centre so I did not have any option to change the shaft which btw was R Flex 45G, I usually hit S 65-85G.

Other than the feel - the way it felt when swinging, not at impact, I really did like this driver and I have added it to a short list to test when Demo days finally start again.

As far as colours I like the Yellow.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

15 hours ago, rsilman said:

I have been considering a new driver this year, and I really like the looks of the SZ driver with the infinity face wrapping onto the crown. Has anyone hit this driver or played it? I would love to know about its ability to keep spin low and also about its forgiveness. Lastly, as I'm torn when I see pictures of the two, do you all prefer the gloss/yellow or matte/white color scheme and why? 

Cheers all!

Two things first:  I am somewhere between a hack and someone who has passable ball striking and secondly, I do not have access to a launch monitor to hit clubs on.

I have hit the regular Speedzone on the driving range and so far, I really like what I have seen.  The weights were in the standard setting with the 14g weight near the face and the 2g weight at the heel, the loft was at the standard 10.5 setting, Mitaubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g S flex standard length.  I was able to hit towards the back of the driving range (last sign is 250 yards), but unable to see exactly how far the ball carried.  That's pretty dang impressive for MY drives.  I have it in matte black and white.  The yellow scheme looks sharp, but it's just too loud of a color for me.  That's the one area where I am a bit on the traditional side.  The yellow alignment aid and trim around the top just sours the club for me.  

Edit:I forgot the wrench the one time I took it to the range, but next time I will have the 14g weight at the back to see how that changes the ball flight and performance.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

7 hours ago, AmishJason said:

Two things first:  I am somewhere between a hack and someone who has passable ball striking and secondly, I do not have access to a launch monitor to hit clubs on.

I have hit the regular Speedzone on the driving range and so far, I really like what I have seen.  The weights were in the standard setting with the 14g weight near the face and the 2g weight at the heel, the loft was at the standard 10.5 setting, Mitaubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g S flex standard length.  I was able to hit towards the back of the driving range (last sign is 250 yards), but unable to see exactly how far the ball carried.  That's pretty dang impressive for MY drives.  I have it in matte black and white.  The yellow scheme looks sharp, but it's just too loud of a color for me.  That's the one area where I am a bit on the traditional side.  The yellow alignment aid and trim around the top just sours the club for me.  

Edit:I forgot the wrench the one time I took it to the range, but next time I will have the 14g weight at the back to see how that changes the ball flight and performance.

I appreciate your feedback! 

I have never had a matte club before, but the more I look at the matte/white, the more I seem drawn to it. It just looks clean. I definitely need out to a range and hit the SZ. 

• Like 1

This is a hastily done photo, but here's the black and white Speedzone roughly at address.  I had to make due with just my hitting mat in the spare room and the club twisted a little as I leaned over to take the picture.  Happens when you have a Dunlop gut.

20200614_175254.jpg

• Like 4

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

I have the regular Speedzone. To be honest I was I went with the Extreme... I now have a Honma TR20 I am testing against my Speedzone and the TR20 with the stock Vizard in X-Flex is outpacing the SZ easily while giving me much more forgiveness. 

The Speedzone when hit well is long but anything around the face just seems to fall out of the sky, hence why I wish I went with the Extreme.

• Like 4

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9* Project X Smoke Green 60 6.5

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Big Tour 13.5* Project X Smoke Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrids: :755178188_TourEdge: CB Pro U 17* Mitsubishi Kura Kage Silver 90X

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB/MB 3-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 52* and 58* Modus Tour 130 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

If you are torn between colors go Yellow. It looks great. The white option is for people that are immediately off put by the yellow. 

• Haha 2

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

I’d hit a pink driver if it consistently went 10 yds farther

• Like 2

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

11 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’d hit a pink driver if it consistently went 10 yds farther

I purchased a standard Speedzone because it did go 10 yds farther.

• Like 1

Haha, well there ya go!

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

On 6/13/2020 at 7:48 AM, rsilman said:

Cheers all!

I had the Cobra F9 and it was fantastic, I just traded in for the new Cobra Speedzone with the Rogue Shaft.  I Have been working with it on the range so far, it feels fantastic and it appears to be much longer than that F9, the ball seems to jump of the club face, but the Best thing , which is what I liked about the F9, the dispersion is much tighter. It doesn't exaggerate a miss hit like a TM or Callaway. Looking forward to taking on the course this weekend and seen in real action.

• Like 3

Driver:  PING G410 LST 9.0 with Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff default_ping-small.jpg.62d91fcab0128559ee9cd64c6d3475c7.jpg
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiffdefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
3-Hybrid: Mizuno CLK - , with CLK Paderson Ballistic 80 HUT 20 1 UPdefault_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybriddefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 6-PW , w/SteelFiber i125default_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - , 56, 60, Mizuno S18 Black - 50default_cleveland-small.jpg.2c2c62516a68ba0ca825f7d94c148b86.jpgdefault_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34indefault_odyssey-small.jpg.f16592ebb9519a37e13eebf6fc6df625.jpg
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-default_taylormade-small.jpg.261501bbee0fcd6ea098dc3e15da16eb.jpgSnell.png.18a1bb82d2d821ebf109e429f025552d.png

I just had a driver fitting at golftec. The SZ was one of the drivers I tested. It felt great when I swung it. I didn’t hit it as well as the SIM. I just got better numbers and I tried 2 different shafts on the cobra. I would have been happy either way. The SZ looked great and the milled face left a noticeable ball imprint. It was cool because I could tell after each hit where I was making contact on the face. It also sounded great. I’m not recommending either driver for you. I would recommend you getting a fitting. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Woods

Cobra Hybrid

Hogan Irons
HiToe Wedges

Spider Putter

Snell MTBX golf balls 

I just had a driver fitting at golftec. The SZ was one of the drivers I tested. It felt great when I swung it. I didn’t hit it as well as the SIM. I just got better numbers and I tried 2 different shafts on the cobra. I would have been happy either way. The SZ looked great and the milled face left a noticeable ball imprint. It was cool because I could tell after each hit where I was making contact on the face. It also sounded great. I’m not recommending either driver for you. I would recommend you getting a fitting. 

GolfTec? May I ask where? The GolfTec in Iowa doesn’t carry Cobra...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero
3W, 7W Titelist TS2
4H, 5H; 6I-U Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black
ER7  or Scotty Futura X 

OnCore Elixr

2 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I would go to Club Champion if they have one in your area, fitting there are great, they don't push you into any brand. They get what whichever combination works best for you.
I tried all the drivers with different combinations shaft, it was a 3hr session and the numbers where close between Cobra SZ and Mizuno  ST200.

Driver:  PING G410 LST 9.0 with Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff default_ping-small.jpg.62d91fcab0128559ee9cd64c6d3475c7.jpg
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiffdefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
3-Hybrid: Mizuno CLK - , with CLK Paderson Ballistic 80 HUT 20 1 UPdefault_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybriddefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 6-PW , w/SteelFiber i125default_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - , 56, 60, Mizuno S18 Black - 50default_cleveland-small.jpg.2c2c62516a68ba0ca825f7d94c148b86.jpgdefault_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34indefault_odyssey-small.jpg.f16592ebb9519a37e13eebf6fc6df625.jpg
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-default_taylormade-small.jpg.261501bbee0fcd6ea098dc3e15da16eb.jpgSnell.png.18a1bb82d2d821ebf109e429f025552d.png

That limited pars and stripes driver looks amazing!!!

• Like 7

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

I tested the SZ driver about 6 months ago at my local Golf Galaxy, and for me it was just behind the Callaway Epic Flash in terms of overall best for me.  I think Cobra made great strides with this model!  I had very good swing/ball speed numbers and spin rates for me, and the trajectory was pretty consistent with the Tensai AV Blue S shaft in it.  

I have not tried the SZ Extreme yet.

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

3 wood:  :ping-small: G410, Alta 65 S-flex

Hybrids:  :ping-small: G400 19* & 22*, Alta CB 70 S-flex

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, Proj X LZ 6.0

Wedges:  Maltby M-Series+ 54/10 & 58/8

Putter:  :bettinardi-small: HM2, 34"

7 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I’m blessed to be in Florida. There are 2 golftec’s next to me. One is in a stand-alone building and the other is in the Golf Galaxy. I went to the one inside golf galaxy. Same exit opposite sides of the freeway. 

Taylormade Woods

Cobra Hybrid

Hogan Irons
HiToe Wedges

Spider Putter

Snell MTBX golf balls 

24 minutes ago, Gsi10561 said:

I’m blessed to be in Florida. There are 2 golftec’s next to me. One is in a stand-alone building and the other is in the Golf Galaxy. I went to the one inside golf galaxy. Same exit opposite sides of the freeway. 

Sounds about like having a Starbucks across from a Starbucks.

• Like 2