Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Those WTH Moments

HeathS16

Here’s a thread for all of those “what the heck moments” that happen either on the golf course or during practice. I know we have all had them so I’d love to hear some of the moments that have made you scratch your head and say “Did that really just happen!?”

Here’s one that happened on Thursday ( pictures to go along)

I was warming up with my net and hitting mat in my backyard hitting 50* half shots to loosen up for a 3 pm tee time. About 10 balls in I hit a simple 60 yard pitch and this happens to my wedge...

IMG_1769.JPG

Split the grip in half right along my palm. This is my RTX-3 wedge that I was lucky enough to test for MGS way back in 2016 and was one of my favorite clubs. Super bummed. As I stare at my broken wedge I feel my right hand start to throb. I look down and see this:

IMG_1775.JPG

I was shocked, I could not believe what had happened in the span of about 45 seconds. The cut was pretty deep and bled a TON. But all I thought about was the tee time I had about an hour from when this happened. Naturally, I bandaged the hand up and went to play golf anyways. The dumb thing is I enjoyed one of the best ball striking days of my life and shot on 83....golf is weird.

I looked for a similar thread on this and didn’t find anything. Sorry if I missed it but I’d love to hear some “what the heck” stories!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I was building my golf green and after several stages I was up to the final contouring and grading before the turf was laid out. I would water, roll to compact the material. Take a few practice putts then leave the balls on the green area . This process took a few days. Every time I came back to the green the balls were gone. Then finally got the green down, but would leave the balls after practicing. Balls gone again. Blamed the kids but they all pleaded not guilty. 

Then a neighbor comes over with a dozen or so balls and asks me to stop hitting balls into her horse pasture. I also pleaded not guilty. But they were my balls. So I went into stealth mode, set up a blind and did my stake out. 

To my surprise it was a few American Black Vultures. They would swoop down, land take the balls out of the hole and take off. Once they realized it was not an egg they would drop them in my neighbor's pasture.

I live a few hundred yards from a river. There is a bluff of about 60 to 80 feet from the edge to the water where they would nest.

Just one of those weird things that was driving me crazy.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.e7291bda432b22d73c8ecbf946cf56b3.JPG

Was that a TT DG S300 shaft by any chance?

The exact same thing happened to my buddies wedge yesterday. We assumed the shaft had to be rusted out under the grip and I was super surprised to find it had no sign of corrosion. It was a TT DG S300 in an ‘09 Adam’s head.

61362414529__99736F40-8D50-4876-8E2E-F849A2FB553C.JPG

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I can’t match the OP, that’s a unique WTH story.

Most of my WTH moments are after errant shots in every round.

The only one I can think of, a buddy I was playing with found his ball in deep rough but decided to hit it. The grass weeds were as much as a foot tall so he took a mighty whack just trying to get the ball back in the fairway. Two balls came out. Evidently there was a long ago lost ball buried in the mud directly under his ball that he didn’t see until he hit. Only seen that once in 56 years.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Was that a TT DG S300 shaft by any chance?

The exact same thing happened to my buddies wedge yesterday. We assumed the shaft had to be rusted out under the grip and I was super surprised to find it had no sign of corrosion. It was a TT DG S300 in an ‘09 Adam’s head.

61362414529__99736F40-8D50-4876-8E2E-F849A2FB553C.thumb.JPG.c3b56ebb4083e06e03ab3c391614c4bd.JPG

Weird... no it was a KBS HI REV wedge shaft, maybe it was rusted underneath I’m not sure. Strange I have never seen that in my life and I was completely shocked.

Was your buddy hitting on a mat as well? Or just on the course?

I bought my first car when I was 17 and decided it would be smart to leave my clubs in the trunk so that I could golf or go to the range at any moment. I did this for several months in the winter and spring, but sure enough in June it got ridiculously hot outside as you would expect in Las Vegas. That didn't deter me from going to the range, but on my very first swing my driver head flew off and went a good 75 yards out into the range. I was mortified and wasn't going to say anything as these were an old set given to me by my grandfather, but someone a few bays back took lead and stopped everyone from hitting so that I could march out there and grab the club head. Wow, that was embarrassing. I took a few seconds to compose myself, pulled out the 3 wood and... yep, the head came off and flew even further out in the range. I promptly picked up my bag and left an entire bucket of balls (minus 2) in the stall and drove home.     

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Was your buddy hitting on a mat as well? Or just on the course?

MyGolfSpy

Weird! No he was hitting a 40yd shot out of the rough and definitely found the ground after the ball, but the club came through and he even finished his swing before he was like “WTH?” He ended up w a pretty decent shot and a ruined shaft. I’ve repaired a decent amount of clubs and that was a first for me.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Par-4 18th green this morning, everyone in our threesome has a birdie chance but 40-50 feet from the hole.

Pete chips first from a tough downhill lie in the primary cut, says “Thank You very much” when the ball is barely halfway there and it drops in the hole.

Paul says, “You called that really early... is that your secret Pete?” He then strokes his downhill sliding 50 footer, immediately yells “Thanks a lot” and it rolls in the center several seconds later.

I’m chuckling on the other side of the green and facing a slick right-to-left 40 footer. Made a good stroke, immediately took my hat off, marched after it waving, bowing and saying “Thank you, thank you thank you” to the non-existent crowd. It curled right in the middle with perfect pace.

I have a suspicion that the secret to golf is gratitude. WTH?!!

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

4 hours ago, Grit Golf said:

Weird! No he was hitting a 40yd shot out of the rough and definitely found the ground after the ball, but the club came through and he even finished his swing before he was like “WTH?” He ended up w a pretty decent shot and a ruined shaft. I’ve repaired a decent amount of clubs and that was a first for me.

40 yard shot on course! At least his was worth something hahahaha.  Such a weird thing to happen. 

1 hour ago, downlowkey said:

Par-4 18th green this morning, everyone in our threesome has a birdie chance but 40-50 feet from the hole.

Pete chips first from a tough downhill lie in the primary cut, says “Thank You very much” when the ball is barely halfway there and it drops in the hole.

Paul says, “You called that really early... is that your secret Pete?” He then strokes his downhill sliding 50 footer, immediately yells “Thanks a lot” and it rolls in the center several seconds later.

I’m chuckling on the other side of the green and facing a slick right-to-left 40 footer. Made a good stroke, immediately took my hat off, marched after it waving, bowing and saying “Thank you, thank you thank you” to the non-existent crowd. It curled right in the middle with perfect pace.

I have a suspicion that the secret of golf is gratitude. WTH?!!

I am officially trying this on Wednesday.  If it doesn't work at least I'll be grateful! That green had a bit of magic in it. 

On 6/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, Middler said:

I can’t match the OP, that’s a unique WTH story.

Most of my WTH moments are after errant shots in every round.

The only one I can think of, a buddy I was playing with found his ball in deep rough but decided to hit it. The grass weeds were as much as a foot tall so he took a mighty whack just trying to get the ball back in the fairway. Two balls came out. Evidently there was a long ago lost ball buried in the mud directly under his ball that he didn’t see until he hit. Only seen that once in 56 years.

If I saw that I'd be laughing for a good while. 

10 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

I bought my first car when I was 17 and decided it would be smart to leave my clubs in the trunk so that I could golf or go to the range at any moment. I did this for several months in the winter and spring, but sure enough in June it got ridiculously hot outside as you would expect in Las Vegas. That didn't deter me from going to the range, but on my very first swing my driver head flew off and went a good 75 yards out into the range. I was mortified and wasn't going to say anything as these were an old set given to me by my grandfather, but someone a few bays back took lead and stopped everyone from hitting so that I could march out there and grab the club head. Wow, that was embarrassing. I took a few seconds to compose myself, pulled out the 3 wood and... yep, the head came off and flew even further out in the range. I promptly picked up my bag and left an entire bucket of balls (minus 2) in the stall and drove home.     

So thankful that this did not happen to me, I don't blame you for leaving. 

On 6/14/2020 at 8:03 AM, toehold57 said:

Son-in-law was hitting in the garage. Said it started sounding funny. Then...

IMG_0402.JPG

He’s talking to Dicks but I don’t think there’s much hope.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

This honestly makes me very sad...Saw that with the M series from Taylormade a few times. Big bummer. Let us know if he gets it replaced! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 8:40 PM, HeathS16 said:

This honestly makes me very sad...Saw that with the M series from Taylormade a few times. Big bummer. Let us know if he gets it replaced! 

Kudos to DIcks, even though the driver is two generations old, they stepped up today and replaced the driver with a new TA 845.

How about that!

F53035BA-3826-43CF-BE3F-895C81AC1462.jpeg

Edited by toehold57

Kudos to DIcks, even though the driver is two generations old, they stepped up today and replaced the driver with a new TA 845.
How about that!
F53035BA-3826-43CF-BE3F-895C81AC1462.jpeg.2a94f6ceddf14c7aed5f3c97d72f8423.jpeg

Yooooo! That’s legit! Good on them!