Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Can't Get Driver Carry Distance Up

Just spent an hour and a half at an indoor range trying to sort out gaps in my bag. The main thing I noticed is that my distance is all over the place on my irons (high handicap on GI irons, so that's to be expected I guess) but one thing that bothered me was my lack of driver distance.

According to the system my swing speed is consistently in the 100-105 mph range, and while I admittedly struggle with making good contact, even the times I did I was rarely getting more than 220 yards of carry. The best shot I had was 106 mph club head speed, 13.8° launch angle, and only 228 yards of carry, and it felt like I hit it right on the sweet spot. Meanwhile, my best shot with my 5-iron carried 189 yards.

So, what gives? Do I need to get fitted for a new driver? (unfortunately not financially feasible right now) Is it potentially a mental thing with swinging indoors? Is it an issue with the launch monitor overestimating my swing speed? (it was the built-in-to-the-ground style with three lines of infrared sensors) Can bad form take that much off my carry distance, even if I'm generating a decent amount of clubhead speed? Are all the online charts comparing swing speed to carry distance off a ways?

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

2 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Just spent an hour and a half at an indoor range trying to sort out gaps in my bag. The main thing I noticed is that my distance is all over the place on my irons (high handicap on GI irons, so that's to be expected I guess) but one thing that bothered me was my lack of driver distance.

According to the system my swing speed is consistently in the 100-105 mph range, and while I admittedly struggle with making good contact, even the times I did I was rarely getting more than 220 yards of carry. The best shot I had was 106 mph club head speed, 13.8° launch angle, and only 228 yards of carry, and it felt like I hit it right on the sweet spot. Meanwhile, my best shot with my 5-iron carried 189 yards.

So, what gives? Do I need to get fitted for a new driver? (unfortunately not financially feasible right now) Is it potentially a mental thing with swinging indoors? Is it an issue with the launch monitor overestimating my swing speed? (it was the built-in-to-the-ground style with three lines of infrared sensors) Can bad form take that much off my carry distance, even if I'm generating a decent amount of clubhead speed? Are all the online charts comparing swing speed to carry distance off a ways?

Definitely seems like you're leaving some distance on the table with the big stick. 

To better understand the cause, we'd need to know at least your ball speed and spin numbers. If you were able to get angle of attack, that would be even better. 

My guess is spin (through angle of attack and potentially strike location) are zapping most of your distance. I'd assume you have a negative angle of attack and spin over 3200 with center strikes few and far between to be giving you 228 carry. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
19 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Basing your swing speed in your best 5 iron wouldn't be the consistent number. It would have been better to look at the average carry distance. 

One thing to note about big box store launch monitors is that if the efficiency is the same every time then it is only measuring ball speed and calculating club speed. 

As said already, high spin, off center strikes, and negative to neutral attack angle rob distance tremendously. 

Using a lower lofted club head like 9 degrees instead of 10.5 is usually the first choice in lowering launch and spin to the magic 12 degrees launch and 2300 spin (+/-200). It is also possible to have to low spin under 2000. 

If your club head speed is in the 105 range then you are in the lower end of X flex which could help to keep head deflection at a minimum. Head deflection can open the face and add loft which increases launch, increases spin, and lowers efficiency. 

Also, some driver heads are lower spinning: Ping LST, Taylormade M3/M5, Callaway Sub Zero. 

The best video I have found to optimize your swing is this one. It teaches you how to hit driver and all your clubs best. 

Let us know if you get any additional details about your specific launch monitor data. 

Screenshot_20200605-184428.png

3 hours ago, gavinski91 said:

Based on your irons being all over the place my guess is you rarely square up the driver. Not knowing what driver/shaft you have or, as @jlukes said, your ball speed and spin numbers it is difficult to say where you’re going wrong. 

For all we know, there is a ton of back/side spin and that’s completely killing the ball speed. You could consistently be missing off the heel or toe, which would do the same thing.

I disagree with @TimoTe, I don’t think you’re at the bottom of X flex. Having your best driver speed at 106 is firmly in stiff. You need at least 4-5 more mph to get xflex, which is a lot. 

My recommendation would be to get lessons. Getting fit for a new driver while still spraying your irons all over the place would be a waste. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

• Guests
Guest Delete
11 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

Based on your irons being all over the place my guess is you rarely square up the driver. Not knowing what driver/shaft you have or, as @jlukes said, your ball speed and spin numbers it is difficult to say where you’re going wrong. 

For all we know, there is a ton of back/side spin and that’s completely killing the ball speed. You could consistently be missing off the heel or toe, which would do the same thing.

I disagree with @TimoTe, I don’t think you’re at the bottom of X flex. Having your best driver speed at 106 is firmly in stiff. You need at least 4-5 more mph to get xflex, which is a lot. 

My recommendation would be to get lessons. Getting fit for a new driver while still spraying your irons all over the place would be a waste. 

I was basing it off of the graphic below in a recent article. 

I find that I swing about 105-108 and stiff is too soft. 

true-spec-data.jpg

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

true-spec-data.jpg

Everything I’ve come across has always said it should be higher than that. There’s a lot more to the feeling of stiffness that the flex rating. Have you tried hitting heavier stiff shafts? You could also be playing something with a bend profile that just doesn’t line up with your swing at all. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

7 hours ago, TimoTe said:

true-spec-data.jpg

Which manufacturers stiff and what shaft profile? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Exactly would need to know these items.  As a recent No Putts Given Pod, they talked about if manufacturers should have a baseline stiffness profile across the board.  I can tell you that a Project X is going to play much firmer than a Nippon 850 shaft.  

I think the cool thing with club fitting is that everyone swing is unique and could offer a very unique club make up to perform optimally. 

I have a buddy that swings his driver about 98 mph, but has such a positive AoA that his best fit club for optimal launch, spin, distance, and dispersion almost seems like a long drive champion. 8.5* of loft turned down 1 degree to 7.5* and an X stiff shaft to keep spin down and lower ball flight even more.

Many companies offer help now like the chart below or you can usually find a lot of shaft reviews online.  This could give you a start, but naturally going through a true club fitting would be best ofcourse.  Also keep in mind that this is only a small handful of shafts available.  The options are nearly endless since shafts from 5 - 8 years ago are still great offerings.

image.png.514521c86d7f6ffcd2ae12ccb49ef619.png

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

8 hours ago, TimoTe said:

true-spec-data.jpg

Keep in mind that this is a starting point, that's why it's so important to go to a 'real' fitter. Using the graph as an example, I should be in a senior shaft, note; that was also the recommendation from the Ping online fitting tool. When I went for a complete bag fitting, one of the key changes was moving up from a senior to a regular flex shaft cut down 1/2". There was an immediate increase in distance and better dispersion.  

Also as a side note to the OP @gavinski91 in your post you mentioned , there is a difference between thinking you're hitting the sweet spot and actually doing it. At the range , I normally use either impact tape or foot spay to confirm. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• Guests
Guest Delete
43 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It is a Project X LZ 6.0 driver shaft.

I don't know what bend profile it is. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
6 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

Everything I’ve come across has always said it should be higher than that. There’s a lot more to the feeling of stiffness that the flex rating. Have you tried hitting heavier stiff shafts? You could also be playing something with a bend profile that just doesn’t line up with your swing at all. 

I've seen that smooth tempo swingers can play a wider variety of shafts. And, quick tempo benefit from stiffer than their club speed would suggest. 

There isn't a hard fast rule. 

7 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

I've seen that smooth tempo swingers can play a wider variety of shafts. And, quick tempo benefit from stiffer than their club speed would suggest. 

There isn't a hard fast rule

Agree in general and normally more aggressive tempos from the top could benefit with heavier shaft weight.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

41 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

It is a Project X LZ 6.0 driver shaft.

I don't know what bend profile it is. 

That shaft has a soft middle section to help with the loading thus the name LZ (loading zone). It will play way different from a Hzrdus Black in 6.0 or a hzrdus yellow as examples.

flex is only relevant to the shaft model it’s stamped on. Like torque it’s measure differently by different companies and even within a shaft company different lines will be different.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

There isn't a hard fast rule. 

I agree completely. Swing speed is just a starting point. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

I would guess that you are not finding the middle of any of your clubs.  I would also bet that your face is wide open and possible leaning back (staying on your back leg a bit) at impact adding loft to your driver.  Are you hitting high slices that maybe start off to the right and keep going right?  Maybe take a video of your swing and post it.  It's so hard to say based on the information we have. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Pretty hard to get a good understanding of what might be the cause without knowing some additional factors such as spin rate, face angle and angle of attack.

Personally I not a huge fan of launch monitors that solely rely on infrared sensors in the mat. I just have not found them to be consistently accurate enough for me. I would highly suggest trying to get on something more along the lines of GCQuad, Trackman or the commercial Flightscope options. All of those should be able to provide accurate yardages with some of the additional diagnostic data points myself and others have mentions that would help us get a better understanding of what is going on with your delivery

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Sounds like I need a combination of lessons and some time on a better launch monitor so I can get more info about attack angle, dynamic loft, and face angle. I'm using a Nike Vapor Speed set to 9.5° with a Fubuki Z50 stiff shaft. My miss is a pull draw, so I don't think I'm leaving the club face open - I think I'm probably getting low and heel side on the club face, but I'll hit the range with some foot spray this week and find out for sure.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS