Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Delete

Guest Delete

10 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I'm wondering what kind of variety everyone uses around the greens or on less than full swing approach shots?

I can think of:

• Putter style chip - only shoulders, no wrist
  • Shoulders back, hip through where club never goes past left arm straight
  • Partial swing with varying amounts of backswing and through swing with similar to full swing tempo
  • Shoulders, hips, and knees back and through together without any wrist - like Dave Pelz clock system 
  • Bunker shot
  • Flop shot

And so on...?

Great question.

I'm wondering what kind of variety everyone uses around the greens or on less than full swing approach shots?

I can think of:

Putter style chip - only shoulders, no wrist = Yes, Fringe/very fine-thin cut shot both with putter and/or hybrid/lower lofted iron-#6
Shoulders back, hip through where club never goes past left arm straight =  chipping holding face square to target, very short motion
Partial swing with varying amounts of backswing and through swing with similar to full swing tempo = my pitches / toe up-waist hight  to toe up follow through waist high
Shoulders, hips, and knees back and through together without any wrist - like Dave Pelz clock system = my longer pitching motion 
Bunker shot = high on lip w/room - face wide open/splash shot , normal middle bunker w/room to carry I use normal - slightly open face and take appropriate sand first needed (varies with texture/thickness of sand plus amount of ball above the sand)
Flop shot = rare as the conditions must be perfect for me to execute this with confidence (thick well cut turf layer - perfect grass like 1st cut fringe, ball)
And so on...? = at all possible I try to get the ball rolling as early as possible given distance to pin

I frequently use a swing for tight lie that has the ball well forward with what feels like a very wristy swing. basically the opposite of everything ive been told to do. oh, but it works so well. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I have two. The

1. Partial swing with varying amounts of backswing and through swing with similar to full swing tempo. Use this for every shot inside 90M including Flop. I simply open my stance to accommodate the opening of the club face.

2. Chip shot. Was taught the 4 rules to chipping along time ago and it is one of my most consistent shots. If I leave the ball more than 1M away you will hear me swear under my breath. I do not use a Texas Wedge, I will almost always chip if the ball is off the green. On average I hole out at least once a round.

The rules.

1. Ball just inside front foot = High ball flight. Ball just inside back foot = low ball flight. Never in the middle.

2. 90% of weight on Front Foot. I was taught to chip standing on 1 foot.

3. Hands in. front of the ball. In my case my hands are in the same position for both shots.

4.  Keep your Head over the middle of your stance. This is the one thing that makes a huge difference. As your weight is on your front foot you have a tendency to move your head forward.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/15/2020 at 11:18 AM, scooterhd2 said:

I frequently use a swing for tight lie that has the ball well forward with what feels like a very wristy swing. basically the opposite of everything ive been told to do. oh, but it works so well. 

Great reply. I like it. 

That's using the bounce for sure. Gareth Raflewski also teaches to use the bounce and not dig. 

But, that video is super wordy without much actual demo if anyone is going to watch it. 

What I noticed is that even though he delivers the club close to vertical, his club never went past his left arm being straight = no flip. The hands kept moving forward through the shot. 

To me the biggest error most make in pitching/chipping is flipping. 

The biggest key to success seems to be just being comfortable playing the ball at the bottom of your arc instead of trying to manufacture a shot with artificial shaft lean. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/16/2020 at 4:42 PM, Firebird said:

I have two. The

1. Partial swing with varying amounts of backswing and through swing with similar to full swing tempo. Use this for every shot inside 90M including Flop. I simply open my stance to accommodate the opening of the club face.

2. Chip shot. Was taught the 4 rules to chipping along time ago and it is one of my most consistent shots. If I leave the ball more than 1M away you will hear me swear under my breath. I do not use a Texas Wedge, I will almost always chip if the ball is off the green. On average I hole out at least once a round.

The rules.

1. Ball just inside front foot = High ball flight. Ball just inside back foot = low ball flight. Never in the middle.

2. 90% of weight on Front Foot. I was taught to chip standing on 1 foot.

3. Hands in. front of the ball. In my case my hands are in the same position for both shots.

4.  Keep your Head over the middle of your stance. This is the one thing that makes a huge difference. As your weight is on your front foot you have a tendency to move your head forward.

I love it. Having too many approaches can lead to inconsistency because most don't have the time to practice them all. 

I am very similar where I use partial swings from 100 down to 30 yards and then use chips from there if varying degrees. 

Great response.

Do yourself a favor a pick up a copy of this book and study it.
IMG_1287.JPG

I really worked this system several years ago and dropped my handicap several strokes.

With all my wedges I have 5 swings and I know the yardages for each.

* basic chip
* 7 o’clock swing
* 9 o’clock swing
* 10 o’clock swing
* full swing

Each type of swing creates a different trajectory and ball reaction on the green.

I also use 3 different swings with my 7,8,9 irons

* 7 o’clock
* 9 o’clock
* full swing

The Dave Pelz book is a must read in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

IMG_1287.JPG

I really worked this system several years ago and dropped my handicap several strokes.

* basic chip
* 7 o’clock swing
* 9 o’clock swing
* 10 o’clock swing
* full swing

Each type of swing creates a different trajectory and ball reaction on the green.

* 7 o’clock
* 9 o’clock
* full swing

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, TBT said:

IMG_1287.JPG

* basic chip
* 7 o’clock swing
* 9 o’clock swing
* 10 o’clock swing
* full swing

* 7 o’clock
* 9 o’clock
* full swing

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpMyGolfSp

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

In order of frequency:

1. Ball on front foot, weight on front foot, wrists locked, hands just ever so slightly in front of ball, narrow stance.  Used for 20 yards and in with some green to work with. 60 or 54 degree wedge depending on how much green. Probably 60% of my shots are this

2. Ball on back foot, weight on front foot, wrists locked, hands just ever so slightly in front of ball, narrow stance.  54 degree or my gap wedge.  Used for 20 yards and in on fairway with lots of green to work with.  Probably 25% 

3. regular stance, ball in middle to maybe slightly back, weight on front, hands just in front, adjusting swing based on distance.  Used from 30-50 yards out.  60 or 54 degree depending on how I want it to land.  10% of my shots

4. open stance, 60 degree flop shot, lots of wrists.  60 degree wedge.  Swing speed depending on distance.  Scariest shot on the course for me. 4% of shots.

5. one percenters.  Make things up cause of some strange thing having to do with the lie or course.  get creative.  Turn on cell phone camera.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

Is your 7 o'clock swing with the club parallel to the ground or about 2ft back and more straight in line with your left arm?
I really like his approach.

Closer to 2ft back...it creates more of a pitch and run shot..higher lofts produce less run out.

When I first started with this system I went to a short game area and hit shots and measured distances with a laser for each shot and I printed them on a card that I laminated and put in my bag for reference....I know them all now so I don’t need to use the card.

The 9 o’clock shot is by far my favorite, it provides plenty of height and spin and I’m very accurate with it. It’s my “go to” shot for most shots inside 100 yards

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/22/2020 at 3:31 AM, TBT said:

Closer to 2ft back...it creates more of a pitch and run shot..higher lofts produce less run out.

When I first started with this system I went to a short game area and hit shots and measured distances with a laser for each shot and I printed them on a card that I laminated and put in my bag for reference....I know them all now so I don’t need to use the card.

The 9 o’clock shot is by far my favorite, it provides plenty of height and spin and I’m very accurate with it. It’s my “go to” shot for most shots inside 100 yards

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete
Thanks for responding. I took your description to the range and, I had a great time with it. 
I tend to have these as benchmarks:
  • 2ft back
  • Club parallel to ground
  • Hip high to hip high
  • 9 o'clock or shoulder high
  • Full for me is about 10 o'clock
You and me both love the 9 o'clock swing for 100 yards. 
I find that partial swings are more accurate for approach shots in my game. 

Glad you had fun....I did that routine twice a week for several months a few years ago and my index dropped significantly (I should probably start doing it again)

Sounds like your benchmarks are very similar to mine. I love the hip to hip shot too...great for getting out of trouble and getting the ball back in play.