TESTERS WANTED! ×

FIRST LOOK! - MacGregor Tourney Iron 2011

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Here are some images of the new MacGregor 2011 Tourney Iron. It is scheduled for a Fall 2011 release. The Finish is a Black PVD Chrome.

RATE THESE IRONS 1-10

MacGregor-Tourney-6i-01.jpg

MacGregor-Tourney-6i-02.jpg

MacGregor-Tourney-6i-03.jpg

MacGregor-Tourney-6iGw-Addr.jpg

MacGregor-Tourney-Gw-01.jpg

#TruthDigest

I much prefer how the VIP lineup looked compared to these. Not a big fan of the black on irons.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

I like the color combination. I agree, too chunky, but I like blades anyways! MacGregor always has very simple and clean designs and I like that.

I much prefer how the VIP lineup looked compared to these. Not a big fan of the black on irons.

I Agree. Not my style but VIP's were nice.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

As someone who plays a larger iron, I like them. The back badge gives me a bit of the 09 Burner vibe.

Slap some DG S300's in 'em and send them this way :)

Visual 9/10 for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I am not sure how golfsmith have done it...... they have taken a brand who created some of the most beautiful clubs and created a total spade. How hard would it have been for them to take a look at the old VIP line and create something beautiful..... instead they give us this. Thanks a bunch another soulless spade.

Not a bad looking club. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but the Tourney is better looking than a lot of the over styled clubs from Callaway or TM. Even though I'm not a black finish fan, I think they're ok looking for a game improvement club. The thicker top line serves that market.

I really like the VIP and hope MacGregor can gain a foothold in the market. The drivers they've put out so far were uninspiring but the VIP is solid and the Tourney will hold some appeal for GI fans.

I like them, I play 2010 Burners, and they do remind me a bit of the Taylor Made clubs, which isn't a bad thing.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I like the finish just don't like the back. But I would rather see the performance!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

These look good to my eyes but I am reluctant about the durability of the color and am wondering how they would look after some use. They are calling it black chrome. Is the color built into the metal or some surface application ? Black shows wear and use so easily that these might not look that good at the end of a round or two. The head shape looks good to me, if seemingly a bit undersized.

Shambles

These look good to my eyes but I am reluctant about the durability of the color and am wondering how they would look after some use. They are calling it black chrome. Is the color built into the metal or some surface application ? Black shows wear and use so easily that these might not look that good at the end of a round or two. The head shape looks good to me, if seemingly a bit undersized.

Shambles

The Chrome process over top of the Black PVD increases the durability of the product greatly. These are a product worth hitting.

Golfsmith - Proprietary Graphic Designer

What's in my Bag?

What's not to like?

I currently game the Callaway X24 Hot irons w/gahite shafts.

The dark finish is scratching off, but i did not buy them for the finish, i bought them for the extra control and they work.

These are very appealing to the mid handicapper wanting to get better.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 months later...

Like the look maybe grey on the inside instead of white.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

They must be targeting the older bracket. Wonder how many 7 iron shot I can hit until I bend a shaft?

It's certainly clear that Golfsmith has fully taken over. They don't look bad at all, but certainly not the classic MacGregor I like. As a clubmaker, I really wish they would make these available as components to offer serious customization. As they stand right now, nothing really sets them apart from anything...

I like the color combination. I agree, too chunky, but I like blades anyways! MacGregor always has very simple and clean designs and I like that.

Syd I am too a big Mac fan but I prefer the true old thin sole "butter knife" Macs. Like you said they do look a little chunky especially the sole

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived