Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping TS Grind - anything similar?

Granata13

Hey guys I have been playing the Ping TS grind for a long time, since the Tour- S wedges before the glides. It’s worked very well for me even though I have moved and the courses I play now are softer I am still happy with the wedge. I just have an itch to try something else, not drastically different, maybe a little more bounce but similar in grind. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the Ping TS is actually high forward bounce but the thin sole makes the effective bounce low. 

what else out there that is similar? 

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

Ping TS grind is actually 6 degrees making it low bounce in anyone's book really. Equivalent grinds would be something like the Vokey L-grind or for like for like bounce the Cleveland RTX low bounce grind can match it at 6 degrees. Low bounce favours "pickers" of the golf ball who take a shallow divot or for firm ground conditions. They do require an accurate ball striking to get the most of them though. More bounce normally equals more forgiveness for normal ground conditions - 8-10 degrees would be ideal. The Vokey M grind is a good example of an "all-rounder" or if the ground is a touch firmer, the Callaway C grind is very good. Or just stick with what you know works with the Ping - it's a great club.

Edited by jaskanski

The great thing about the Ping TS is the actual measured bounce is high and forward but the sole is thin making the effective bounce low. I am looking to see if there is anything similar to that. I am not a big fan of C grinds / vokey M grinds, I don’t think they are as versatile as the Ping TS grind

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

If you like the TS sole and it works well for your new softer conditions, why change?  I think pros are "married" to their wedges.  lol.

If you just want something new, buy a new TS.  I do seem to remember that the TS sole is slightly different than the original TS sole, but don't remember what changed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/14/2020 at 5:24 AM, Granata13 said:

Hey guys I have been playing the Ping TS grind for a long time, since the Tour- S wedges before the glides. It’s worked very well for me even though I have moved and the courses I play now are softer I am still happy with the wedge. I just have an itch to try something else, not drastically different, maybe a little more bounce but similar in grind. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the Ping TS is actually high forward bounce but the thin sole makes the effective bounce low. 

The TS sole is only on the 58* and 60* lob wedges because that is the one you open up to keep it low to the ground for versatility. 

I love having a high bounce Sand wedge and lob wedge like what you have now with low bounce to open up the options around the greens. 

The Maltby MG, FGT and TSW all have similar TS style grinds. The M+ wedges are wider and more of a full grind. 

My 60* = Maltby Tour MG

My 54* = Maltby M+ medium

I saw someone recently post about their new TSW wedge and it looks great. 

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000317/

On 6/14/2020 at 7:24 AM, Granata13 said:

I gamed the Tour S TS(Thin Sole) years ago, very versatile wedge. 

"Our Glide Thin Sole 60° wedge actually has 20° of measured bounce angle, but an “effective bounce” of only 6°." (PING)

good source for Ping views on how bounce/sole width: https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/simplifying-bounce