TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Contact & Lag Putting Difficulty

Does anyone have any good drills for working on consistent clubface contact with the putter, and specifically on the height of the clubface?

I seem to be really struggling with lag putting and feel the same stroke doesn't always transfer the same energy into the putt, and the ball will feel and sound a little different off the putter face.  I'm very confident in my face control, but my speed is very inconsistent and I'm pretty certain I'm not delivering the putter at the same point on the ball height-wise.  (Feel like I'm fumbling to express the problem here...hope everyone gets what I mean.)  I've been doing Stockton left-arm only drills trying to keep the putter low to the ground through the stroke, but I don't feel like I'm seeing results from the work.  Too many 3-putts are killing my rounds lately.

I putt left-hand low FWIF. 

Thanks.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Old school simple method; take rubber bands and put them around putter leaving gap just barely bigger than the ball at the sweet spot. Should help with contact.

Ladder drill is really the best for speed. Try this variation. Throw two tees in the ground spaced a foot apart. Start at 3'-5' every time you make it between tees move back to a longer distance. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Old school simple method; take rubber bands and put them around putter leaving gap just barely bigger than the ball at the sweet spot. Should help with contact.
Ladder drill is really the best for speed. Try this variation. Throw two tees in the ground spaced a foot apart. Start at 3'-5' every time you make it between tees move back to a longer distance. 

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

@THEZIPR23 gave you a good drill for heel/toe misses. You can put a pencil behind the ball which will help you not hit the top of the face. For ball position and stance setup with a yardstick and mark feet and ball positions to ensure consistent setup.
You can also use foot powder or impact tape to see where you are actually striking the ball.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@THEZIPR23 gave you a good drill for heel/toe misses. You can put a pencil behind the ball which will help you not hit the top of the face. For ball position and stance setup with a yardstick and mark feet and ball positions to ensure consistent setup.
You can also use foot powder or impact tape to see where you are actually striking the ball.

Love the pencil idea, thanks

I don't use left hand low, but I always start my putting practice with right hand only putts from 3 feet then 6 feet holding the angle in my right wrist through the putt.  Tiger does this.  Putts have to go in or hit the target; never short.  If you have mishits at this short range, you will have difficulty with lag putts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I don't use left hand low, but I always start my putting practice with right hand only putts from 3 feet then 6 feet holding the angle in my right wrist through the putt.  Tiger does this.  Putts have to go in or hit the target; never short.  If you have mishits at this short range, you will have difficulty with lag putts.

I learned to putt like this. Working as an Asst Pro there were some long boring afternoon/evenings. I would go out to the putting green and practice but inevitably the phone would ring, so left hand holding phone right hand holding putter and just hitting all kinds of different putts. Haven't done it in years but there are many good golfers who I can out putt with just my right hand. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Do all those drills a million times... and then buy an Evnroll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha. I actually am wondering if I need a new flat stick...my current Scotty is toe-balanced and I’ve gone left-hand low with a more straight-back straight-through Stockton motion that screams face-balanced....

Ha ha ha. I actually am wondering if I need a new flat stick...my current Scotty is toe-balanced and I’ve gone left-hand low with a more straight-back straight-through Stockton motion that screams face-balanced....

Before you get another putter evaluate if you can consistently start the ball on your intended line and can control speed.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Before you get another putter evaluate if you can consistently start the ball on your intended line and can control speed.

I'm with you, and I definitely don't want a new putter, I like my Scotty.  I don't struggle with starting the putt on line, it's just my speed control that needs work.

Playing a different course almost every time out probably isn't helping either. 

I do have some forward press in my stroke, I wonder if that is delivering the top of the putter face to the ball too much too. 

I'm with you, and I definitely don't want a new putter, I like my Scotty.  I don't struggle with starting the putt on line, it's just my speed control that needs work.
Playing a different course almost every time out probably isn't helping either. 
I do have some forward press in my stroke, I wonder if that is delivering the top of the putter face to the ball too much too. 

If you are starting online then the putter is fine.

As for green speeds, that is just a matter of adjustment. Always use the same tempo and figure out how far the ball is rolling on the green for stock stroke lengths/feels. Let’s say when you move the putter to your right big toe it goes 8 feet because when you practice that is how far it goes on the green/carpet you use for practice. On the course it goes 6 feet. That means greens are a little slower and you need to make a little bigger swing to go 8 feet. This is part of your warmup before a round and the first few holes.

As for the forward press, If you are consistent it shouldn’t matter since the ball would always
Have the same speed. Putting strokes are about consistency.

There is a webinar on Scott fawcetts YouTube page. During that webinar he talks about a PGA pro that rolled a bunch of 20 foot putts and the distance between the shortest and longest was about 6 feet. Speed control is hard, but you should be about to roll balls into a 3 Foot diameter circle around the hole. 3 footers should be about a 100% make
Rate.

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you are starting online then the putter is fine.

As for green speeds, that is just a matter of adjustment. Always use the same tempo and figure out how far the ball is rolling on the green for stock stroke lengths/feels. Let’s say when you move the putter to your right big toe it goes 8 feet because when you practice that is how far it goes on the green/carpet you use for practice. On the course it goes 6 feet. That means greens are a little slower and you need to make a little bigger swing to go 8 feet. This is part of your warmup before a round and the first few holes.

As for the forward press, If you are consistent it shouldn’t matter since the ball would always
Have the same speed. Putting strokes are about consistency.

There is a webinar on Scott fawcetts YouTube page. During that webinar he talks about a PGA pro that rolled a bunch of 20 foot putts and the distance between the shortest and longest was about 6 feet. Speed control is hard, but you should be about to roll balls into a 3 Foot diameter circle around the hole. 3 footers should be about a 100% make
Rate.

Very helpful, thank you.

Very helpful, thank you.

Just to add to the forward press topic. It is possible to have too much and end up hitting the ball into the ground causing poor launch conditions. That could be fixed by adjusting loft. You mentioned Stockton and if I remember right hit approach dictates having a putter with a little more than standard loft to allow for the forward press.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Just to add to the forward press topic. It is possible to have too much and end up hitting the ball into the ground causing poor launch conditions. That could be fixed by adjusting loft. You mentioned Stockton and if I remember right hit approach dictates having a putter with a little more than standard loft to allow for the forward press.

Yes, you're right.  If you read his Unconscious Putting book he most focuses on the mental aspect of things, but he does get into some technical info, and he advocates a forward press and loft on the putter....7 degrees actually.

In my case, I had a GolfTec putting lesson and he encouraged less press and not quite so much loft, so I'm at 5 degrees on the putter and the press is not as forward as I'd had it previously.  Most important, I'm confident I'm setting up consistently with it, although a putting mirror might be a good idea.

LOL. Can confirm. Never putted better. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On 6/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Does anyone have any good drills for working on consistent clubface contact with the putter, and specifically on the height of the clubface?

I seem to be really struggling with lag putting and feel the same stroke doesn't always transfer the same energy into the putt, and the ball will feel and sound a little different off the putter face.  I'm very confident in my face control, but my speed is very inconsistent and I'm pretty certain I'm not delivering the putter at the same point on the ball height-wise.  (Feel like I'm fumbling to express the problem here...hope everyone gets what I mean.)  I've been doing Stockton left-arm only drills trying to keep the putter low to the ground through the stroke, but I don't feel like I'm seeing results from the work.  Too many 3-putts are killing my rounds lately.

I putt left-hand low FWIF. 

Thanks.

For on the course putting green practice I use this: H3 Putting Trainer from Graves Golf. (moenorman.com / click on short game trainer tab) Allows me to cover alignment and putting stroke. There are other like products/brands that have been around a long time,  I just happen to use this particular one since I use the Graves single axis/plane system. 

And obviously the rubber band and pencil drills listed previously are solid and time tested. 

26 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

For on the course putting green practice I use this: H3 Putting Trainer from Graves Golf. (moenorman.com / click on short game trainer tab) Allows me to cover alignment and putting stroke. There are other like products/brands that have been around a long time,  I just happen to use this particular one since I use the Graves single axis/plane system. 

And obviously the rubber band and pencil drills listed previously are solid and time tested. 

I used the Graves Golf program for 10 years; gave it up 3 years ago and went back to the 2-plane swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

48 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I used the Graves Golf program for 10 years; gave it up 3 years ago and went back to the 2-plane swing.

I have threatened to quit several times and admittedly I get frustrated often. With that stated, my all time best rounds are with this (~10 yrs w/single plane) period of my 40 years playing the game. I do follow Mike Malaska on youtube and sometimes want to go back to two plane but have not done so yet.

I don;t know if you are a long ball hitter and/or have high swing speed? -- I do not. And its the distance game part of the single plane setup and swing that I get frustrated with. I should not because even though I am lower swing speed, very short backswing I do make good contact and hit it relatively straight.

And sometimes when practicing I will go back to two plane (still kinda one plane setup but I bend my knees/get athletic posture) and absolutely crush one-- well for my standards I crush it. It goes farther than when I play normal single plane setup. 

10 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

I have threatened to quit several times and admittedly I get frustrated often. With that stated, my all time best rounds are with this (~10 yrs w/single plane) period of my 40 years playing the game. I do follow Mike Malaska on youtube and sometimes want to go back to two plane but have not done so yet.

I don;t know if you are a long ball hitter and/or have high swing speed? -- I do not. And its the distance game part of the single plane setup and swing that I get frustrated with. I should not because even though I am lower swing speed, very short backswing I do make good contact and hit it relatively straight.

And sometimes when practicing I will go back to two plane (still kinda one plane setup but I bend my knees/get athletic posture) and absolutely crush one-- well for my standards I crush it. It goes farther than when I play normal single plane setup. 

We seem to be playing the same game.  

I don't want to thread-jack this thread on putting.  Sorry to all.   I'll send you a PM.

could be a useful training aid for you. its called sweet spot 360.

image.png.31495b34880b4d5a57795e0c358c6f7c.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 1 month later...

When struggling with putter contact I stick a bandaid near the toe and heal, on each side of the sweetspot that only leaves a small part of the sweetspot exposed.  If you miss the sweetspot and hit the ball on the cushion of the bandaid you know it immediately and the ball goes halfway to the hole.

The basics of putting are keeping your core/head rock still, so as long as you do that find a way to set up where you can see the line and make a repeatable stroke.  Don't limit yourself to the "conventional" wisdom on setup and ball position - find a way to see the line and let your inner athlete out to roll it on that line.

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Dave Edel from Edel Putters has a podcast out that talks about different things concerning putting and putters in general.  It's a pretty good listen.  During one of the episodes, he talked about the best drill to do for putting.  He mentioned simply putting a string down, standing 15 feet away and consistently hitting the ball on the string will make your putting significantly better...

It seems like an over simplification, but if you can consistently hit your distance aim will come, maybe is the thinking.  

Either way, it's a cheap and easy drill that can be done.

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

42 minutes ago, Markelly82 said:

Dave Edel from Edel Putters has a podcast out that talks about different things concerning putting and putters in general.  It's a pretty good listen.  During one of the episodes, he talked about the best drill to do for putting.  He mentioned simply putting a string down, standing 15 feet away and consistently hitting the ball on the string will make your putting significantly better...

It seems like an over simplification, but if you can consistently hit your distance aim will come, maybe is the thinking.  

Either way, it's a cheap and easy drill that can be done.

Part of the Edel fitting is rolling a ball to the 15 foot string.  I have done an edel fitting and found it very comprehensive and informative.     Just rolling to a 15 foot string will do no more than rolling to a 10 foot string other than groove that single length.   Speed is definitely the main factor that you need to work on since rolling the ball at a desired speed is crucial in making a putt.   You can "aim" perfectly but if you roll the ball at the wrong speed it probably won't go in.    Even if you control speed,  you still have to practice face control to make sure that the ball goes on your intended line.    There are many skills that must be mastered in putting;  speed is definitely one of the top.  

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Part of the Edel fitting is rolling a ball to the 15 foot string.  I have done an edel fitting and found it very comprehensive and informative.     Just rolling to a 15 foot string will do no more than rolling to a 10 foot string other than groove that single length.   Speed is definitely the main factor that you need to work on since rolling the ball at a desired speed is crucial in making a putt.   You can "aim" perfectly but if you roll the ball at the wrong speed it probably won't go in.    Even if you control speed,  you still have to practice face control to make sure that the ball goes on your intended line.    There are many skills that must be mastered in putting;  speed is definitely one of the top.  

I put it as a statement for some help, not a silver bullet fix.  I even stated it might be an oversimplification.  It's a place to start.  

I too have gone through an Edel fitting and agree it's really thorough.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5