Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2019 vs 80"s irons

LeftyHawk

I went out the other day with the Classic Beryllium Copper irons and was surprised at how much more "on target" they were over the 410's. That caused me to conduct an experiment. I set up at the 150 marker on one of the holes at my home course. Dropped 12 balls, 6 for the 410, 6 for the BeCu. My target was the pin in the middle of the green.  Took out a 410 7 iron hit 3. 2 were left of the green, 1 went right of the green. BeCu 6 iron...all 3 on the green. 3 more with the 410 7 iron. 1 short, 2 went left of the green. 3 more BeCu, all 3 on the green.

I'm sitting here trying to understand "WHY?"

With all the tech in the 410's, why can't I hit where I'm aiming? Why are the BeCu's so much more accurate?

Any thoughts?

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

58 minutes ago, LeftyHawk said:

I went out the other day with the Classic Beryllium Copper irons and was surprised at how much more "on target" they were over the 410's. That caused me to conduct an experiment. I set up at the 150 marker on one of the holes at my home course. Dropped 12 balls, 6 for the 410, 6 for the BeCu. My target was the pin in the middle of the green.  Took out a 410 7 iron hit 3. 2 were left of the green, 1 went right of the green. BeCu 6 iron...all 3 on the green. 3 more with the 410 7 iron. 1 short, 2 went left of the green. 3 more BeCu, all 3 on the green.

With all the tech in the 410's, why can't I hit where I'm aiming? Why are the BeCu's so much more accurate?

Any thoughts?

Chris

This is just my 2 cents, nothing scientific. I find blades more accurate, way more accurate but your misses with bad ball striking will hugely affect distance. If your a great ball striker stick to blades old or new doesn't matter. My favorite clubs in my bag are my BeCu wedges they are hot lighting I rarely miss with them. The game improvement irons see to focus more on distance and forget about accuracy. You can find a few tests on youtube showing exactly this. If you compress the ball well and your a good ball striker newer irons are almost always going to be less accurate. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I'm not an expert by any means on the game of golf, but after experiencing the same thing it has me curious. I would have expected with the lack of offset to see my normal fade with SGI get bigger. I would assume that the fractional difference in clubface closure would leave them more out to the right. What about the shaft? Is one set a R and the other a S? 

Again, I'm curious why the older irons are more accurate than a newer set with all the tech. 

I believe that the older irons probably have shorter shafts, making them easier to control.

Im with you though.  I recently put my old Mizuno MX-11s back in the bag after getting frustrated with a lack of control with the Tommy Armour Atomics and Im hitting some of the best iron shots Ive hit in a long time.

This has got me thinking about picking up a half set of Titleist 720 CBs because they have more traditional lofts but have some new tech in them.

Im personally not of the mind that you really gain much with new irons, other than more distance and distance isnt everything in irons.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I believe that the older irons probably have shorter shafts, making them easier to control.

You may be on to something there. The BeCu shafts are shorter, both are stiff shafts, but with them being made in different "centuries" (lol) I'm sure the measurement scale is not consistent.  One thing this has taught me is  buying new irons last year was a big mistake. I was playing i10 before these. Silly me I thought they would help my game. Lesson learned.

As far as distance is concerned, it's all relative, the number on the bottom really doesn't matter, a 150 yard club is a 150 yard club regardless of the number on the bottom, that's my thinking anyhow.

Chris

Far and Sure......

You may be on to something there. The BeCu shafts are shorter, both are stiff shafts, but with them being made in different "centuries" (lol) I'm sure the measurement scale is not consistent.  One thing this has taught me is  buying new irons last year was a big mistake. I was playing i10 before these. Silly me I thought they would help my game. Lesson learned.
As far as distance is concerned, it's all relative, the number on the bottom really doesn't matter, a 150 yard club is a 150 yard club regardless of the number on the bottom, that's my thinking anyhow.
Chris
The number on the club really is meaningless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I wish I still had my old Titleist DCI irons to experiment or my Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Back irons...I feel like it hit both of those sets “purer” than any others I’ve had.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

6 shots from a preferred lie to a known pin under identical conditions each time is hardly enough of a sample size.

Try 60 from random distances under varying conditions and places and see how that turns out.

I also read someone here claiming that blades are more accurate - they aren’t - if they were every player on tour would game blades - they don’t - it’s not even a majority any more.

There is nothing I’d rather do than play the rest of my life with my trusty old Ping Eye 2’s other than play the best golf and shoot the lowest scores possible for my age and physical limitations.

I will stick with my G30’s or some other set of more modern irons that afford me some help and are more Taylor’s to the peculiarities of my swing.

If you prefer the Berillium set by all means game it.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

Here's my two pesos,,,,,,,,,,

Were both set EQUAL and by that I mean,  IDENTICAL shafts? shaft length? Loft? Lie? and grip size? 

I don't think there has been has been a technology improvement on iron heads as much as we seen in Golf Balls, Shafts, "Wood" and hybrid heads.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the shaft. Or just maybe, you could  smoothly swing a choked up 410 6 iron. Choking up will result in similar shaft length.

No expectations with the copper, lots of expectation with your current gamer. I know the lofts are different and the lofts for the 6 copper and 7 410 are probably similar, but still think you should redo and hit the 6 for both. 

Edited by Beakbryce

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Went out last week to a sloppy, Cart Path only course, with Powerbilt Air Force One Irons in the bag rather than my Wilson D7’s. Why? The Powerbilt have a wider platform so I would dig into the sloppy soft ground as much. Result? I snapped two shafts, 4 iron and 9 iron.
Image1598612209.849326.jpg
You gotta beweary of 10 year old graphite shafts.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 6/17/2020 at 5:34 PM, LeftyHawk said:

Any thoughts?

Chris

I'd suspect the lie angle of the 410's is too upright for you since most shots went left.  What is the dot color of the 410's?  Maybe with shorter shafts in the 410's you'd be less likely to catch the toe end on your swing?  Try shortening up on the club by 1" or so and see how they play.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I’ve seen many ads over the last 20 years claiming a new iron goes farther. I don’t recall a single one touting more accuracy. That’s why Ping Eye 2’s are still playable today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Any thoughts?
Chris

Are the BeCu steel shaft and G410 graphite?

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Are the BeCu steel shaft and G410 graphite?

Both steel, regular. I know the 410's lie is correct, the BeCu's are too flat. I've gone back to using the 410's exclusively working on my alignment.  I have an iron fitting in September, I'm thinking I have a shaft that isn't a good match to me and my swing. After further testing with the BeCu's, other than the 6 iron, I have target issue with the other irons. That I believe is a result of the lie of them. After using the 410's for most of the season up to this point my aim is getting better, but they just don't "feel" right which is why I'm doing the fitting, hopefully finding an answer to my problem.

I may tinker with the BeCu's this winter on the sim to see if I can find a ball that feels better off them, you definitely feel the ball when you mishit the darn thing.

Chris

Far and Sure......