TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Putter for You

What is the best way to determine the best putter for you? Whether it is a blade, mid-mallet, or mallet, do you just go to the store and try them and see which one is the most comfortable? What goes into finding the right putter for you?

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Lots of opinions on this. People will say anything that looks good, anything cheap, just get fit for length and lie, do an Edel fitting, get on Puttlab/Capto/quintic and see what the numbers say. I have an opinion on this but too long to type on my phone. I’ll add my thoughts on the topic when I can get to a keyboard.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Lots of opinions on this. People will say anything that looks good, anything cheap, just get fit for length and lie, do an Edel fitting, get on Puttlab/Capto/quintic and see what the numbers say. I have an opinion on this but too long to type on my phone. I’ll add my thoughts on the topic when I can get to a keyboard.

Amen. I’m with Edel on this, but haven’t done Quintic, which would be the option I’d like to try since it’s about a lot more than aim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've been wondering about this myself.  In 2017 I was fit for an Evnroll ER6, which was the first & only mallet I've ever own, and moved from a traditional blade putter.  Since 2017, my putting style/setup has changed and I am not very confident with the mallet, but I think it might just need to have lie angle adjusted.  I played in a tournament last weekend and used the blade...34 putts, with one 4-putt and two 3-putts.  I would definitely like to get another fitting done, but it's not super high on my list right now.  I think the LAB putters are a very interesting concept and possibly worth looking into.

When I did get fit in 2017, it was at Evnroll's HQ and they didn't have the fitting system they now have.

Edited by M. Parsons
added info
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I did a putter fitting at Club Champion a year and a 1/2 ago and really was impressed.  I learned a lot about my putting stroke and why certain putters and setups were better for me.  I gained a lot of confidence with the putter I was fit into.  So I'd recommend doing something similar.  Lots get fit for irons, drivers, etc but ultimately we use the putter much more during the round.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

What is the best way to determine the best putter for you? Whether it is a blade, mid-mallet, or mallet, do you just go to the store and try them and see which one is the most comfortable? What goes into finding the right putter for you?

May be the wrong way to look at it, but I found the best way to know if a putter is the right fit if I can consistently roll it on line and the weight feels good for my tempo. I start with the putter that rolls on line and feels good, then I fine tune it with grip type and size. Currently using TM spider tour black, with super stroke flatso 3.0 grip. Heavy weight insert for balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried everything in the book, except getting professionally fitted.  I have a putter (Odyssey O works 1w) that I put good with, but not great.  It keeps coming back to the bag after I go out trying something else.  I know that it is not the perfect putter for me and I am obsessed with the hunt for the perfect putter.  With that being said I truly feel that if I was to bite the bullet and get fitted then the hunt would be over.  I love everything in my bag except the putter, so one could say that the reason I haven't gone to get fitted is because just as all golfers I like to experiment with all the shiny new toys out there.  LOL!!!

Hit'em straight and not too often!!!

I think one thing that is often missed from the conversation about toe hang is grip tightness and club head weight. Everything I've read says that more arcing strokes need more toe hang, less arcing strokes mean less toe hang. But if you have a light enough club head and tight enough grip on the putter, you could game a blade putter even with a fairly straight stroke.

My personal preference is for a heavier putter head, and I use a really soft grip, so when I try a putter with a significant amount of toe hang and a heavier head I can actually see the putter face open up by 10° or more on my stroke.

I recently tried the TaylorMade SpiderX and the Odyssey TT 2-Ball side by side at Dick's on the practice putting green in-store. With the same stroke I was draining 10-foot putts with the Odyssey, and missing everything 1-2" right with the TaylorMade.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

You need to work out your swing type 

Straight Putting Path and Curved Putting Path, image: pgatoursuperstore

They recommend a Blade for strong arc, and a Mallet type for a straight line swing. Mid mallet in between. You can rest a putter on something to see how much toe hang there is or if it is square faced (for straight swings)

Is Your Putter and Putting Stroke Matched Up? - The Golf Guide

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

5 hours ago, cciciora13 said:

My selection criteria:

• whichever one I need to use the least
  • end of list

In all honesty, I think it's pretty important to get fit, preferably on grass and PLEASE use your golf balls that you play on the regular. I had the good fortune of getting fit at the Ping factory when I was in college (I think we went in 2006 or 07?) and that's the putter I still play. I've had multiple fittings since and each time the numbers, feel, roll, all of it are the same or worse than what I game now. (For me, I really had to work hard to move away from 'preference' and just go with the raw stats. I love the look of a Scotty blade, but I cannot putt with it to save my life.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

If you don't know what your stroke type is *** (toe hang) or what length (eye position) you should be using, getting fit might be a good idea. If you have an unusually upright (lie) or flat stroke, or you tend to press forward or backward (loft) with a putter, getting fit might be a good idea. If you don't know if you like blades, mallets or something in between (MOI, alignment, etc.), getting fit might be a good idea.

If you know those things, you can probably narrow the field considerably, go try qualifying putters, and buy the one that feels, looks and costs right to you.

And even if you know all the above, what you putt best with may defy conventional wisdom somewhat. Putting is partly what gives you confidence, you just won't putt well with a putter you have doubts about no matter what a fitter tells you (if you're not convinced).

I've known plenty of players who just have ZERO confidence putting, and I've watched them go through several putters without improvement - a fitting may or may not change that. Sounds silly, but you have to believe in yourself before any putter will give you better results.

*** Your stroke type is probably slight or strong arc, SBST is somewhat of a misnomer as it's bio mechanically very awkward.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Simple for me, feel and balance. I can put with a anything and often put out with a PW as generally my putting is the best part of my game. Always has been.

You can do as much research as you want and can get fitted but at the end of the day it all come down to confidence with that club in your hand. I have had 4 putters in 45 years.

One thing however, always take the ball you play with you when you are testing a putter and do it on the greens you play, not in a shop on plastic grass.

Edited by Firebird
spelling

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Here is what I have learned about putters and the putting stroke. 

1. You can pick up any putter and learn to putt well with it no matter how much it goes against all of your natural tendencies;  just like full swing clubs.  The problem is that when you are under pressure you tend to go back to your tendencies which may cause poor performance.  You have basically fit yourself to the putter.   You picked this putter because of the looks,  how it rolled the ball in the store or on a real green. 

2.  You can get fit for a putter.   There are numerous approaches and strategies for fitting a putter.  In no particular order:

2a.  Big Box Stores:   These are typically loft/lie/length adjustments.   Nothing really scientific;  you grab a putter, take your stance and the putter length and lie is typically adjusted to have your eyes over the ball.  

2b.  Edel fitting:  Edel takes the approach of fitting for aim and speed control.  The fitting starts off but trying to identify the blade or mallet and alignment line/dot combination that enables you to consistently setup aimed at your target.  Once that is established, weighting in the head and grip are adjusted until you are able to consistently roll putts a specific distance.  

2c. Puttlab/Capto/Quintic:  These are devices that measure different aspects of your stroke to help identify the putter characteristics that work best for you.  This is performance driven fitting.   You putt the ball and the system helps determine if the putter you are using is launching the ball correctly and on your intended line.   It may make a recommendation for the putter it thinks you should use; however,  this can be influenced by the putter used during the test.  You need knowledgeable fitters to use this technology.  

Putters are designed the way they are to vary how the putter travels along the path. The path can be in to out,  out to in, or zero'd out just like full swings.  Depending on your path,  you will need a putter that assists in returning the club face to the proper position at impact.  The use of weighting, hosel type, hosel positioning (heel, center, etc.), and CoG location all influence the putters rotation through the stroke.  Many people are look for specific toe hangs,  but what they generally don't consider is the associated putter weight.  A 20* toe hang putter weighting 340gr will rotate  differently than a 20* toe hang putter weighing 370gr.  

You can do some self fitting with a putter.   Take your normal setup and try to roll a ball on your intended line; gates are great to verify, using different length strokes.  It is easiest to find putters of different weights so if you miss left,  find a heavier putter  and if you are missing right pick a lighter putter.  Once you find a putter you can roll online,  see how well you can control distance.    I think this can be done indoors or outdoors.

Having rolled lots of putters I can tell you that no matter how similar two putters look,  you will find that they have different balance, feel,   ability to consistently aim, directional control, and distance control.  During most wanted testing, there were putters that I missed left, others I missed right,  some short, some long, some short and long; some that I couldn't make a 5 foot putt with, but did well at 10 and 20 feet.  Others were great at 5 but not at 10 or 20.  

Once you find the putter,  work on startline and especially distance control so you can establish baselines on how long your stroke needs to be for different distances.  

Thanks for the great reply cnosil. I really love all the info you put into this post

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

52 minutes ago, cciciora13 said:

Thanks for the great reply cnosil. I really love all the info you put into this post

I am just a putter junkie and spent a lot of time learning about that aspect of the game.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is funny topic. I have always been a blade putter guy. Don’t like oversized or too many trinkits in the club. Went for a fitting and literally drained everything with a bettinardi mallet. Total opposite of what my eye prefers. Put that bettinardi in my hand at the testing and it was automatic.

long story short I would honestly go play around at a local pga superstore and see what you like, I think you’ll surprise yourself.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• Guests
Guest Delete

Putting is the least consistent variable from golfer to golfer in all of golf because of different stance, release, grip, and stroke. 

To boil it down to something easy to apply across all those variables is difficult but, I will try. 

You want to find a Putter that you can confidently and consistently roll the ball on your intended line with the greatest control of speed and distance that fits how you putt. 

Evidence of a poor fitting putter:

• Hopping or skidding of the ball after being struck
  • Side spin
  • Pulling or pushing the putt
  • Poor distance control
  • Unable to find your tempo/release
  • The toe of the club up in the air
  • Having to stand too hunched or upright

Signs of a good fit:

• Putter is square to ground at address
  • Eyes are in a good place to see your line at address
  • Putts start on their intended line at 3', 10' & 25' distances
  • Pure roll without hopping or skidding
  • No side spin (ball rolling end over end)
  • Good distance control
  • Stroke feels natural or comfortable

Noted, some of the above can be signs of user error or lack of ability but, there is usually evidence that certain putters will get you closer more of the time. 

I have tried a few Anser style putters and landed on an Evnroll ER8 mallet. The longer line on the putter helps me feel I am better aimed where I want. I actually have a 34" but, I wish I had a shorter one because I really like to get over the top of it so, I end up holding it down there grip some. 

I bought it after testing it in the store. It was the only putter I could sink 20'+ putts with. The reality is that the putter took weeks to get used to because it has a milled face and heavy weight that both combined to reduce how far the ball went so I was leaving a lot of putts short until I figured it out. 

All that to say, time with a putter will reveal what putter is best for you. 

Edited by Delete
Spelling

Saw this on Instagram today and I think it is appropriate for this thread

On 6/18/2020 at 5:15 PM, cnosil said:

Here is what I have learned about putters and the putting stroke. 

1. You can pick up any putter and learn to putt well with it no matter how much it goes against all of your natural tendencies;  just like full swing clubs.  The problem is that when you are under pressure you tend to go back to your tendencies which may cause poor performance.  You have basically fit yourself to the putter.   You picked this putter because of the looks,  how it rolled the ball in the store or on a real green. 

2.  You can get fit for a putter.   There are numerous approaches and strategies for fitting a putter.  In no particular order:

2a.  Big Box Stores:   These are typically loft/lie/length adjustments.   Nothing really scientific;  you grab a putter, take your stance and the putter length and lie is typically adjusted to have your eyes over the ball.  

2b.  Edel fitting:  Edel takes the approach of fitting for aim and speed control.  The fitting starts off but trying to identify the blade or mallet and alignment line/dot combination that enables you to consistently setup aimed at your target.  Once that is established, weighting in the head and grip are adjusted until you are able to consistently roll putts a specific distance.  

2c. Puttlab/Capto/Quintic:  These are devices that measure different aspects of your stroke to help identify the putter characteristics that work best for you.  This is performance driven fitting.   You putt the ball and the system helps determine if the putter you are using is launching the ball correctly and on your intended line.   It may make a recommendation for the putter it thinks you should use; however,  this can be influenced by the putter used during the test.  You need knowledgeable fitters to use this technology.  

Putters are designed the way they are to vary how the putter travels along the path. The path can be in to out,  out to in, or zero'd out just like full swings.  Depending on your path,  you will need a putter that assists in returning the club face to the proper position at impact.  The use of weighting, hosel type, hosel positioning (heel, center, etc.), and CoG location all influence the putters rotation through the stroke.  Many people are look for specific toe hangs,  but what they generally don't consider is the associated putter weight.  A 20* toe hang putter weighting 340gr will rotate  differently than a 20* toe hang putter weighing 370gr.  

You can do some self fitting with a putter.   Take your normal setup and try to roll a ball on your intended line; gates are great to verify, using different length strokes.  It is easiest to find putters of different weights so if you miss left,  find a heavier putter  and if you are missing right pick a lighter putter.  Once you find a putter you can roll online,  see how well you can control distance.    I think this can be done indoors or outdoors.

Having rolled lots of putters I can tell you that no matter how similar two putters look,  you will find that they have different balance, feel,   ability to consistently aim, directional control, and distance control.  During most wanted testing, there were putters that I missed left, others I missed right,  some short, some long, some short and long; some that I couldn't make a 5 foot putt with, but did well at 10 and 20 feet.  Others were great at 5 but not at 10 or 20.  

Once you find the putter,  work on startline and especially distance control so you can establish baselines on how long your stroke needs to be for different distances.  

This is an incredibly informative post. Well done and thank you!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I used to be a blade guy and was an average putter, then several years ago I won a trip to play a Ryder Cup Style tournament that came with a full bag of clubs.

As part of that event I paid for a full bag fitting with the Callaway performance center. When it got to the putter they filmed my stroke using my current gamer (a Scotty) at 3 different distances. They then gave me several test putters to try on the same putts. They measured face angle, arc, starting loft and ending loft. When I got to the face balanced mallets it just “clicked” all the measurements were in the “tour range” as they called it and I made all of the test putts!

So I ended up with an Odyssey #7...it felt great and I liked the look. I’ve used several models of the #7 since then and just about anybody that’s played with me says that I’m a very good putter.

I would definitely try a fitting if you can find one.

Or you can look for one of these on eBay, they had some fitting functionality built in.IMG_1286.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 11 months later...

Well, I tell YOU how I choose best putters. Just pick and run finger over the face. Most putters with milling have bumpy face, while an insert feels different. In this way, I check best putters.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

There is so much technology on the market for fitting these days, the cop-out answer is to go do a fitting.

The practical answer, is find the one that you can most consistently deliver with the face square to the line at impact. The more you know and understand about your own stroke, the easier it will be to do that on your own.  Just about every putter manufacturer has some basic guidelines on their websites about which putters fit which stroke types. If this is your route, I'd recommend utilizing the various OEM demo programs so you can work through trial and error to find the one that fits and feels best. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

17 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

There is so much technology on the market for fitting these days, the cop-out answer is to go do a fitting.

The practical answer, is find the one that you can most consistently deliver with the face square to the line at impact. The more you know and understand about your own stroke, the easier it will be to do that on your own.  Just about every putter manufacturer has some basic guidelines on their websites about which putters fit which stroke types. If this is your route, I'd recommend utilizing the various OEM demo programs so you can work through trial and error to find the one that fits and feels best. 

the problem is that people don’t understand the putting stroke or stroke types.  Ping app talk about arc type but it really measures rotation.  The assumption is that higher rotation stroke has a bigger arc.  Arc itself is often defined by how far a person stands from the ball.  Also by telling people to read a website or go try putters you are advocating a self fitting which is still a fitting. 

In my opinion and from what I learned delivering the face square at impact isn’t always a good approach.  Sounds logical, but almost every player has a left or right path bias.  The face angle at impact has about an 80-85% influence on the balls direction,  the rest is path.   Just like with the full swing it is better to have a consistent in to out  or out to in path and not try to zero out your path.  Generalizing the reason is that players with a zeroed out path will potentially have a two way miss due to variation in the stroke.   All that said,  when fitting  a putter to your stroke,  if you path is left biased you want a putter that is slightly open at impact and for right bias slightly closed.  This gives you the best chance to start the ball on you intended line;  which is really what I think you are advocating.  

My vote goes for the putter that gives best distance control which is a combination of many factors pertaining to component and overall weight of the putter, as well as how the individual delivers the putter to deliver the best roll with minimal amounts of skid and hop off the face. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

It can get far too technical and it really doesn't need to. First have a look at the putters, rule out the ones you really do not like the look of, because if you dont like the look of it, then it will not work out for you. Get on a putting green with a few and just putt, putt and putt some more from all over the place. You will find theres 1 or 2 which you really like and keep going back to, when you find 1 or 2 you like go home. Leave it a week or so then go back and do the same thing again, obviously leaving out the putters you did not like. Hopefully you will be drawn to the same 1 or 2 putters again. From there just putt some more and go with what ever works best. 

People will disagree, but as putting is all about feel you cant look at someones stroke and say they need putter x. Its the most personal club in the bag.

Edited by benb1989

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

@RickyBobby_PRand @cnosil And some others are right. What ever can get you closer to the hole more often and has the look that helps you align the best and feels best in your hands is what you should go with. I have three putters including the one I’m testing. When all is said and done, I am gonna keep the two that gives me the best distance control and then rotate based on greens or what I want to use that day. It’s all personal preference. You won’t find some magical putter that helps you sink everything. If that were the case pros would avg 18 putts a round. Take your time. Test some things out. Understand what you like and good luck!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 6/18/2020 at 6:13 AM, cciciora13 said:

Honestly the best way to determine this would be to go and get a putter fitting somewhere than is brand agnostic.  That way you can get imperical data to show what performs the best for you.  The club ho version is to keep buying putters and playing with one until it no linger "feels" right.  But if you look at the tour those guys are always swapping things out.  DJ goes with the itsy bitsy spider most of the time, but he's been know to try a different model out if he's in a funk, Max Homa did the same thing at Memorial this year, went back to a different putter the day before the tournament to just get a different feel and I'm pretty sure he top 5'd or top 10'd after having a few months of poor putting.  It's like what @rbsiedsc said... there is no magic formula.  My advice is get fit, but if you can't or don't want to, find something that feels right then practice practice practice, particularly from 3', 5', and 10'.  

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>