Best Putter for You

Well, I tell YOU how I choose best putters. Just pick and run finger over the face. Most putters with milling have bumpy face, while an insert feels different. In this way, I check best putters.

• Haha 3

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR/XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1 laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review

There is so much technology on the market for fitting these days, the cop-out answer is to go do a fitting.

The practical answer, is find the one that you can most consistently deliver with the face square to the line at impact. The more you know and understand about your own stroke, the easier it will be to do that on your own.  Just about every putter manufacturer has some basic guidelines on their websites about which putters fit which stroke types. If this is your route, I'd recommend utilizing the various OEM demo programs so you can work through trial and error to find the one that fits and feels best. 

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

17 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

There is so much technology on the market for fitting these days, the cop-out answer is to go do a fitting.

The practical answer, is find the one that you can most consistently deliver with the face square to the line at impact. The more you know and understand about your own stroke, the easier it will be to do that on your own.  Just about every putter manufacturer has some basic guidelines on their websites about which putters fit which stroke types. If this is your route, I'd recommend utilizing the various OEM demo programs so you can work through trial and error to find the one that fits and feels best. 

the problem is that people don’t understand the putting stroke or stroke types.  Ping app talk about arc type but it really measures rotation.  The assumption is that higher rotation stroke has a bigger arc.  Arc itself is often defined by how far a person stands from the ball.  Also by telling people to read a website or go try putters you are advocating a self fitting which is still a fitting. 

In my opinion and from what I learned delivering the face square at impact isn’t always a good approach.  Sounds logical, but almost every player has a left or right path bias.  The face angle at impact has about an 80-85% influence on the balls direction,  the rest is path.   Just like with the full swing it is better to have a consistent in to out  or out to in path and not try to zero out your path.  Generalizing the reason is that players with a zeroed out path will potentially have a two way miss due to variation in the stroke.   All that said,  when fitting  a putter to your stroke,  if you path is left biased you want a putter that is slightly open at impact and for right bias slightly closed.  This gives you the best chance to start the ball on you intended line;  which is really what I think you are advocating.  

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My vote goes for the putter that gives best distance control which is a combination of many factors pertaining to component and overall weight of the putter, as well as how the individual delivers the putter to deliver the best roll with minimal amounts of skid and hop off the face. 

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

It can get far too technical and it really doesn't need to. First have a look at the putters, rule out the ones you really do not like the look of, because if you dont like the look of it, then it will not work out for you. Get on a putting green with a few and just putt, putt and putt some more from all over the place. You will find theres 1 or 2 which you really like and keep going back to, when you find 1 or 2 you like go home. Leave it a week or so then go back and do the same thing again, obviously leaving out the putters you did not like. Hopefully you will be drawn to the same 1 or 2 putters again. From there just putt some more and go with what ever works best. 

People will disagree, but as putting is all about feel you cant look at someones stroke and say they need putter x. Its the most personal club in the bag.

Edited by benb1989
  • Like 2

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:bridgestone-small:, Ball, Tour B X

@RickyBobby_PRand @cnosil And some others are right. What ever can get you closer to the hole more often and has the look that helps you align the best and feels best in your hands is what you should go with. I have three putters including the one I’m testing. When all is said and done, I am gonna keep the two that gives me the best distance control and then rotate based on greens or what I want to use that day. It’s all personal preference. You won’t find some magical putter that helps you sink everything. If that were the case pros would avg 18 putts a round. Take your time. Test some things out. Understand what you like and good luck!

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

On 6/18/2020 at 6:13 AM, cciciora13 said:

What is the best way to determine the best putter for you? Whether it is a blade, mid-mallet, or mallet, do you just go to the store and try them and see which one is the most comfortable? What goes into finding the right putter for you?

Honestly the best way to determine this would be to go and get a putter fitting somewhere than is brand agnostic.  That way you can get imperical data to show what performs the best for you.  The club ho version is to keep buying putters and playing with one until it no linger "feels" right.  But if you look at the tour those guys are always swapping things out.  DJ goes with the itsy bitsy spider most of the time, but he's been know to try a different model out if he's in a funk, Max Homa did the same thing at Memorial this year, went back to a different putter the day before the tournament to just get a different feel and I'm pretty sure he top 5'd or top 10'd after having a few months of poor putting.  It's like what @rbsiedsc said... there is no magic formula.  My advice is get fit, but if you can't or don't want to, find something that feels right then practice practice practice, particularly from 3', 5', and 10'.  

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 10.5*

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5*

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid 😍

:Sub70: 939X 22* Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-AW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 54* and 58*

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods 😉