What Would You Do - Fitting Conundrum

Our Sponsors

Last Thursday I hit a TS4 at a Titleist Demo Day and the numbers were a significant improvement over my current driver (910D3). I can get the driver build from Titleist for a decent discount below retail because of connections, so there's some strong incentive to go that route.

However, the TS4 is literally the first driver I've hit in the last 8 years besides my 910D3. I have no other frame of reference. It's possible that I'd put up better numbers with a Ping, TM, Mizuno, Cobra, etc. driver than the TS4. However, if I go to get fitted it'll cost me extra $ at a minimum, or I'll pay full retail (vs. the discount through my Titleist rep).

So what would you do?

1. Numbers are good with the TS4 - Just run with it and don't look back!
  2. Should really swing more than 1 other driver before buying.

Overall my main need/goal is to kill spin, so I'm looking at TS4, G410 LST, ST200G, etc. There's obviously fewer options there than the full pool of drivers.

:titelist-small: 910D3 8.5° w/ Diamana Whiteboard          :callaway-small: 2004 Big Bertha 3W          :titelist-small: 816H 19°         :taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P760 8-PW w/ Project X 6.0

:vokey-small: 52°, 56°, 60°          :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant          :titelist-small: Hybrid 14 Stand Bag          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

21 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

Last Thursday I hit a TS4 at a Titleist Demo Day and the numbers were a significant improvement over my current driver (910D3). I can get the driver build from Titleist for a decent discount below retail because of connections, so there's some strong incentive to go that route.

However, the TS4 is literally the first driver I've hit in the last 8 years besides my 910D3. I have no other frame of reference. It's possible that I'd put up better numbers with a Ping, TM, Mizuno, Cobra, etc. driver than the TS4. However, if I go to get fitted it'll cost me extra $ at a minimum, or I'll pay full retail (vs. the discount through my Titleist rep).

So what would you do?

Overall my main need/goal is to kill spin, so I'm looking at TS4, G410 LST, ST200G, etc. There's obviously fewer options there than the full pool of drivers.

Get fit is going to be the number one reply. And there are things you can learn in a fitting that are valuable. Plus you can tweak a lot of variables these days to really help your delivery of the clubface (which is what really matters for launch parameters). 

A 10 year gap in driver technology is huge, so I would expect improved numbers with most clubs off the shelf. If you really like the way the TS4 looks, feels, and plays and the numbers back it up then it might just be the right club for you. Any chance you can demo one for a few rounds? 

• Like 2

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

29 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

So what would you do?

I would think this is going to come down to personal preference. You can get fit and remove doubt from your mind, you may or may not find a better fit than the TS4. You could also just pull the trigger on the TS4 knowing that upgrading your 10 year old driver will produce better results and be happy with the change. If it was me I would hit all of them but again that is my preference. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Appreciate the thoughts. Going back today to re-confirm the fitting details (also want to try my current shaft in the TS4 to see what that looks like).

I'm basically just trying to decide if the extra $200 and time for a full fitting with multiple drivers is going to be worth it. Agree the jump is going to be big regardless, just not sure if any potential marginal gain from one new driver over another is worth the extra time/cost.

:titelist-small: 910D3 8.5° w/ Diamana Whiteboard          :callaway-small: 2004 Big Bertha 3W          :titelist-small: 816H 19°         :taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P760 8-PW w/ Project X 6.0

:vokey-small: 52°, 56°, 60°          :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant          :titelist-small: Hybrid 14 Stand Bag          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

You were basically fit for the driver from a specific manufacturer. They took their lineup and found the best combination for you. You can go get another fitting and maybe find something better or maybe the titleist will come out on top.

What “gain” would make another fitting worthwhile to you? Is 5 more yards worth the cost? How about narrowing dispersion by 5 yards?

I’d probably go with the Titleist

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That’s a tough one...

I would get fit to remove all doubt from my mind knowing it’s a driver and I’d probably be playing it for another 10 years.

Logically I’d say that most any new driver will probably be an improvement, especially if spin is the big factor in your gains.

Depends on what value you put on the possibility of finding something better. For me, it would always be in the back of my mind, especially on a bad day with the TS4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have my fittinf scheduled for next Saturday. Somehow, I feel my Epic is gonna hold its own vs the new drivers (after a few lessons last week).

But I'm still paying the fitting to get ease of mind. Better 100 bucks to find out than 399 wasted, right?

If I was you, I would pay for fitting to be 100% sure. Nothing worse than playing golf with doubts in your mind.

• Like 2

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

You know you could try tru fit for 8$ or whatever that is now.

For me it’s always should be about value - are the gains worth $200 to you? For me it would have to be significant dispersion, forgiveness or length or better both.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I have had a situation like this before. Callaway and Taylormade had 150% trade in bonuses, so i limited the options to those two or keep the current gamer. I ended up going with a SIM Max. Is there some head out there that may be a better fit for me, maybe?  But the value I got from the trade in bonus was too good to forego. 

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

On 6/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, jwlong410 said:

So what would you do?

If the numbers were good, why NOT go with it??? If it’s better than what you’re playing, go with it, I say.

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I’m curious what the numbers are with the ts4 and what they were with the 910d3.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m curious what the numbers are with the ts4 and what they were with the 910d3.

Going on Thursday (had my dates mixed up; thought it was last week) so I'll share here once I do.

33 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

Going on Thursday (had my dates mixed up; thought it was last week) so I'll share here once I do.

But your op said you hit the ts4 last Thursday  and the numbers were a significant improvement over your current driver. These are the numbers I’m curious about. 

Appreciate the thoughts. Going back today to re-confirm the fitting details (also want to try my current shaft in the TS4 to see what that looks like).
I'm basically just trying to decide if the extra $200 and time for a full fitting with multiple drivers is going to be worth it. Agree the jump is going to be big regardless, just not sure if any potential marginal gain from one new driver over another is worth the extra time/cost.
I'd honestly stick with the Titleist. If the distance is good and it is reliable to where you want it makes sense. Unless you are a very competitive golfer or have a lot of disposable income I think saving money for a solid product makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

IF fitting numbers were good and the TS4 fits your eye, feels good  then I would keep things simple and go with the TS4 and save the $$. Sounds like a win win. 

IF you have any doubts and say a couple of your numbers were borderline (like dispersion and spin) then IMO you test and take your time to find a quality driver for the amount of $$ those things can cost today.

Yeah, ~10 year since last driver, its time to start another 10 yr run 😃 Good luck

• Like 1
On 6/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

But your op said you hit the ts4 last Thursday  and the numbers were a significant improvement over your current driver. These are the numbers I’m curious about. 

It was 7-8 swings as he was packing up from a Titleist Thursday event. I scheduled a proper time for a fitting this coming Thursday to dial in shaft and what not. Those couple of swings were way better than my current driver based on distance and launch alone, but it wasn't a proper fitting and I was just hitting while he packed up the rest of the clubs.

6 hours ago, jwlong410 said:

It was 7-8 swings as he was packing up from a Titleist Thursday event. I scheduled a proper time for a fitting this coming Thursday to dial in shaft and what not. Those couple of swings were way better than my current driver based on distance and launch alone, but it wasn't a proper fitting and I was just hitting while he packed up the rest of the clubs.

Do you have the numbers between the two from  that day or was your op really just saying the swings and visual results were better with the ts4

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Do you have the numbers between the two from  that day or was your op really just saying the swings and visual results were better with the ts4

I don't remember the exact numbers, I was just peeking at the laptop between shots. I was carrying the ball ~15-20 yards further (thereabouts) for example.

Like I said - it wasn't a proper fitting experience which is why I scheduled time to go back and do it in a more official capacity. Set a true baseline, then hit the TS4 with different shaft options, etc.

I don't remember the exact numbers, I was just peeking at the laptop between shots. I was carrying the ball ~15-20 yards further (thereabouts) for example.
Like I said - it wasn't a proper fitting experience which is why I scheduled time to go back and do it in a more official capacity. Set a true baseline, then hit the TS4 with different shaft options, etc.

Did you hit your driver on their launch monitor? Comparisons need to be made head to head. Launch monitors are great tools but unless you know exactly how they are setup you really can’t compare clubs.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG