TESTERS WANTED! ×

Eyes when you putt

Do you keep your eyes on the ball on your back swing? Or do you you follow the putter head back with your eyes?

I have started experimenting and it feels like I keep the putter head straighter when I follow it back. 

Thoughts?

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

My eyes follow the putter head back when I look down towards the ball. That said, I have also been known to look at the hole while putting to get my brain out of it a bit. With that said, putting is the worst part of my game. I plan to go and get a putter fitting/lesson possibly when everything in the world calms back down. I will just add that when I try to look just at the ball, my eyes twitch and I end up looking at the putter anyways. Just can't do it...

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

I follow the putter.  I experimented with aligning then looking at the hole but it did not work out very well.  My biggest gain in improving putting stats of late was slowing my tempo, particularly on shorter putts.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Anything greater than 3-4 feet, I tend to focus on the ball.  If it's under about 4 feet (and little break), I'll look at the hole.  I just recently made this change and it was VERY uncomfortable at first but after a few rounds and some sessions at the putting green it feels much more natural now and removed nerves from those "gimme" putts.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

8 minutes ago, den748 said:

Anything greater than 3-4 feet, I tend to focus on the ball.  If it's under about 4 feet (and little break), I'll look at the hole.  I just recently made this change and it was VERY uncomfortable at first but after a few rounds and some sessions at the putting green it feels much more natural now and removed nerves from those "gimme" putts.  

I started looking at the hole in 2015, and I could only do it for putts less than 3-4 feet.  Helped a lot.  I kept moving the distance back as I got more comfortable with it.  Now I look at the hole on all putts.  Once the ball is aligned to my read on the green and my putter is aligned with the mark on the ball, I don't need to look at the ball or putter anymore.  I am only focusing on the distance to the hole, so my speed is much better than it used to be.  When I was looking at the ball when I made my stroke, I couldn't keep my head from looking up when I stroked the ball.  Now my head doesn't move.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use a line on my ball for alignment to my target line. Two practice swings only looking at the hole for speed/ distance. Then step up to the ball, align the line on the putter with the ball. I keep my eye on the ball, watch the putter move straight back / straight through never looking at the hole until the ball has either a few revolutions on it or hopefully making the sound of the ball in the hole. 

Edited by Tom the Golf Nut

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Thanks for the feedback. I will experiment with looking at the hole also. It does make sense when trying to factor in distance and pace. 

I guess whichever method makes me sink more putts is the way to go. Practice makes perfect

I also look at the ball except for short putts when I look at the hole. No need to come up out of a long putt from longer range but so many people come up on the shorter ones and tend to miss then. I also change from a standard putting grip to reverse overlap in close. I have never tried looking at the putter. Not sure how that would affect distance control. Since you look at the ball for long swings it would seem to help consistency to do the same for putting.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

My focus is just in front of the ball; I want to "see" my center alignment aid go over that point.  My bad putts come when I follow it back;  probably because I prefer to move/swing my hands and not the putter head.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

Do you keep your eyes on the ball on your back swing? Or do you you follow the putter head back with your eyes?

I have started experimenting and it feels like I keep the putter head straighter when I follow it back. 

Thoughts?

When my eyes follow the putter, my head tends to move a little, my body tends to move a little, and the resulting line is pretty random.  I hit my line better if I keep focused on the ball, to minimize movement.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I can't help but to follow the putter head. I draw an imaginary line that I try keeping the putter head as close to it, it works well most of the time for me.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I actually will look at the hole the entire time.  Only for putts under 6 feet or so.

Right handed golfer from Austin, Texas (Handicap: 8.1)

Driver: Titleist 907D2 (9.5 degree with stiff shaft)

Fairway Wood: Tayormade RocketBallz Stage 2 (3 Wood)

Hybrid: Cleveland CG Black (2 Iron)

Irons: Mizuno MP20 MMCs (Standard length and lie with stiff steel shafts)

Wedges: Callaway MD3 and Sub70

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Ball: Pro V1x

I pick a dimple on my ball and stare at it. I find If I follow my putter my head moves and sometimes this causes be to drop a shoulder and hit the green with my putter making my putt short. Inside 3 or 4 feet I just look a the hole and tap it in. Unless there is some huge break then I find the line and stare at the ball again.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

19 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I started looking at the hole in 2015, and I could only do it for putts less than 3-4 feet.  Helped a lot.  I kept moving the distance back as I got more comfortable with it.  Now I look at the hole on all putts.  Once the ball is aligned to my read on the green and my putter is aligned with the mark on the ball, I don't need to look at the ball or putter anymore.  I am only focusing on the distance to the hole, so my speed is much better than it used to be.  When I was looking at the ball when I made my stroke, I couldn't keep my head from looking up when I stroked the ball.  Now my head doesn't move.

It was after we played the 2019 PNW Meetup that I tried using your method.  I may have given up on it too soon, but it just felt unnatural and was moving my putting stats the wrong direction.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

6 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will experiment with looking at the hole also. It does make sense when trying to factor in distance and pace. 

I guess whichever method makes me sink more putts is the way to go. Practice makes perfect

If you "give looking at the hole" a try.  That doesn't mean a few putts, one hour, or one round.  It's so much different that you have to commit to it until it starts to feel comfortable.  That will vary depending on the individual.  I started with 4-5 footers and it wasn't so bad.  As I moved back, I got apprehensive, but that eventually goes away.  Now, I don't think about it, even from 40+ feet.   I can actually judge distance better looking at the hole.  Think throwing horseshoes, darts, shooting baskets, throwing a ball; you instinctively "know" how much energy to give to reach the target.  

Obviously, if the putt has a lot of break, I don't actually look at the hole.  Every putt is a straight putt.  Line the ball on the line to the apex of the putt; look at that point.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I look at the ball and zone out when I’m putting my best. Just keeping my eyes on the ball for reference. Trying my best to feel the weight and the face. The less I think about the technique and the more I feel in touch with the face moving down the line the better I putt. So I’m not really “looking” at anything. Just have my gaze at the ball then feel the stroke. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If you "give looking at the hole" a try.  That doesn't mean a few putts, one hour, or one round.  It's so much different that you have to commit to it until it starts to feel comfortable.  That will vary depending on the individual.  I started with 4-5 footers and it wasn't so bad.  As I moved back, I got apprehensive, but that eventually goes away.  Now, I don't think about it, even from 40+ feet.   I can actually judge distance better looking at the hole.  Think throwing horseshoes, darts, shooting baskets, throwing a ball; you instinctively "know" how much energy to give to reach the target.  

Obviously, if the putt has a lot of break, I don't actually look at the hole.  Every putt is a straight putt.  Line the ball on the line to the apex of the putt; look at that point.

As I was reading your comment, my mind started to think about if there is a break then shouldn't I be focused on the original line before the break. But then you addressed this. Thanks for the advice.

I look at my ball until I "feel" it's gone about halfway to the hole. When I played in Estero this winter, one of the ladies I was paired with commented to the others "look how still his head is"...at least it's one thing I do OK.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/18/2020 at 3:55 PM, Nateyeight said:

Thoughts?

I close my eyes and pray to Jesus. I thank God he hears me quite often. 

I follow the putter on my practice strokes to get the feel of it but focus on the ball during the actual stroke.

Putting is probably the best part of my game, I very rarely 3 putt

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I look at the ball: once I pick my line and feel my speed, I just focus on trying to put the centerline of my putter through the center of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I look at the ball: once I pick my line and feel my speed, I just focus on trying to put the centerline of my putter through the center of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I find that I used to follow the putter back and not look at the ball.  This would cause all sorts of problems with my distance control/line/strike on putter face.  This Covid season, I started putting on a mat and I saw a tip that said put the ball on a penny or a dime, and stare at the ball as you hit and look at the dime after the ball is gone.  This helped a lot.  I now try to focus on the ball and then the spot where the ball was.  It has helped me with all the above mentioned problems. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I find that I used to follow the putter back and not look at the ball.  This would cause all sorts of problems with my distance control/line/strike on putter face.  This Covid season, I started putting on a mat and I saw a tip that said put the ball on a penny or a dime, and stare at the ball as you hit and look at the dime after the ball is gone.  This helped a lot.  I now try to focus on the ball and then the spot where the ball was.  It has helped me with all the above mentioned problems. 

Thanks for the drill. This is where I got the question from while practicing putting at home. I will add this to my drills to try out. 

17 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

Thanks for the drill. This is where I got the question from while practicing putting at home. I will add this to my drills to try out. 

No problem, hope it helps.  I tend to now focus on one single dimple on the ball, stare at it and then look for the coin after I hit the ball.  Have fun

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

19 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Many years ago I used to do this, because I kept looking up too soon and couldn't start the ball on line.  It did help to keep my head still.  

However, old age crept in and when I stared at the ball before the putt, I would forget how far the hole was and could never get the speed correct.

8 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Many years ago I used to do this, because I kept looking up too soon and couldn't start the ball on line.  It did help to keep my head still.  

However, old age crept in and when I stared at the ball before the putt, I would forget how far the hole was and could never get the speed correct.

My routine, after I line up the ball, is to look at the hole, look at the ball, look at the hole, find the one dimple and swing.  I look at the hole twice just to get a visual of how hard I need to hit the putt.  I found that I used to pick a spot out along my intended line and look at that last, but I almost always left the putts short.