TESTERS WANTED! ×

LPGA WITB

Grit Golf

With the current median driving distance on the LPGA at 253yards, I find that my distance lines up pretty squarely w that tour (and definitely does not line up with the PGA, unfortunately).

For mere mortals like me, it seems like the WITB for LPGA players has a better chance to apply to my game than PGA WITB. Does anybody look at this content or have a good source for it? Any thoughts on the intel that could be gained because LPGA players are typically not bound by as strict equipment contracts as PGA?

After a few minutes there is an interesting top of the bag trend:

15* 3w / 18* 5w / 22* 4h

17* 4w / 20* 3h / 23* 4h

It makes me think the smart move for my swing speed is to add more “headcovers”. Seeing elite LPGA ballstrikers gaming hybrids deep into the bag has me wondering why I’m gaming low lofted irons!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Unfortunately,  haven't found a really good source of information for players other than their website and club manufacturer sites.  Occasionally you will get a winners WITB but not often.   

The lots of headcovers statement is pretty accurate.  There are a few longer players but most are in the 200-230 range and hit hybrids into greens.  

I volunteer at the local LPGA event and enjoy watching how they play the course.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 8:27 PM, Grit Golf said:

With the current median driving distance on the LPGA at 253yards, I find that my distance lines up pretty squarely w that tour (and definitely does not line up with the PGA, unfortunately).

For mere mortals like me, it seems like the WITB for LPGA players has a better chance to apply to my game than PGA WITB. Does anybody look at this content or have a good source for it? Any thoughts on the intel that could be gained because LPGA players are typically not bound by as strict equipment contracts as PGA?

After a few minutes there is an interesting top of the bag trend:

15* 3w / 18* 5w / 22* 4h

17* 4w / 20* 3h / 23* 4h

It makes me think the smart move for my swing speed is to add more “headcovers”. Seeing elite LPGA ballstrikers gaming hybrids deep into the bag has me wondering why I’m gaming low lofted irons!

That top line was basically what I was carrying before I got hurt and sidelined in April. I did alternate between a 19* hybrid and 18* 5 wood. Now I learned on the golf broadcast today that Dustin Johnson of all people is now carrying a 3 and 4 hybrid. As far as my 23* hybrid you will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers no joke. I also carry and hit a 2 iron for low runner wind shots. Even back in the day when I was a big hitter and carried a 1 iron I carried a little Laminate Northwestern 6 wood which BTW was 23*. Like that hybrid I could hit a bunch of different shots with it. I know back in the persimmon days i did not use head covers and folks gave me some strange looks looking in the rear compartment with driver 1 iron and 6 wood. In the summer with lush fairways I did not carry a fairway wood. My driver  ( persimmon) was 10.5 and I could hit it or the 1 iron off the deck. But heck I have always marched to the beat of my own drummer and could care less what others think.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Seeing a ball striker like DJ with 3w 3h 4h makes me think I should play hybrids through the whole bag, lol.

It at least has me seriously considering adding a 25/26* hybrid.

I’ve been motivated to find a hybrid that worked for me (doesn’t go left) and I think the shaft has a lot to do with it, for me anyway. I’m playing an old Axivcore black 100 (in regular - driver swing speed 95) in a 22* Adams tight lies 2 with an oversized grip - its the straightest club in my bag right now and is so much easier off the deck than a wood.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

1 hour ago, Grit Golf said:

Seeing a ball striker like DJ with 3w 3h 4h makes me think I should play hybrids through the whole bag, lol.

It at least has me seriously considering adding a 25/26* hybrid.

I’ve been motivated to find a hybrid that worked for me (doesn’t go left) and I think the shaft has a lot to do with it, for me anyway. I’m playing an old Axivcore black 100 (in regular - driver swing speed 95) in a 22* Adams tight lies 2 with an oversized grip - its the straightest club in my bag right now and is so much easier off the deck than a wood.

dropping my 5 iron and replacing it with a hybrid was a great decision for me.   I can hit 5 iron and can hit it well but the hybrid is much more reliable and easier to hit.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

dropping my 5 iron and replacing it with a hybrid was a great decision for me.   I can hit 5 iron and can hit it well but the hybrid is much more reliable and easier to hit.  

That’s what I’m realizing, Dustin can hit a 22* iron, that’s not the point - shoot, he can hit it a 22* shovel further than I can hit a driver. He’s gaming the 4h because it gives him something the iron equivalent doesn’t, and if that’s true for him, I guarantee I’m not bringing something he isn’t.

Bryson plays a DI/utility in his 25* because it offers a benefit over the more traditional iron.

Nearly all of the LPGA plays hybrids (or woods) down to 23 degrees and some go further into the bag for the same reason - while they can all smoke an iron we the same loft, the hybrid/wood gives them an edge.

Every single one of those players plays at a level I will never achieve. So, this year I’m swallowing the ego and trusting the data. I’m gonna stock up on the Axivcore 100 regular hybrid shafts before they disappear forever :).

That’s what I’m realizing, Dustin can hit a 22* iron, that’s not the point - shoot, he can hit it a 22* shovel further than I can hit a driver. He’s gaming the 4h because it gives him something the iron equivalent doesn’t, and if that’s true for him, I guarantee I’m not bringing something he isn’t.

Bryson plays a DI/utility in his 25* because it offers a benefit over the more traditional iron.

Nearly all of the LPGA plays hybrids (or woods) down to 23 degrees and some go further into the bag for the same reason - while they can all smoke an iron we the same loft, the hybrid/wood gives them an edge.

Every single one of those LPGA players plays at a level I will never achieve. So, this year I’m swallowing the ego and trusting the data. I’m gonna stock up on the Axivcore 100 regular hybrid shafts before they disappear forever :).

Yep I was watching the conclusion of the Travelers while ago. DJ was coming up 18 with his caddie and yes he had 4 head covers 5 counting the putter in his bag. Good enough for me. I feel sure he can hit a lot more variety of shots with those.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/28/2020 at 6:44 PM, Grit Golf said:

Every single one of those players plays at a level I will never achieve. So, this year I’m swallowing the ego and trusting the data. I’m gonna stock up on the Axivcore 100 regular hybrid shafts before they disappear forever :).

First of all I would love to see the data that reveals that the median drive on the LPGA goes 253.  I love the LPGA but their average driver swing speed is 93.  

That's off topic for your main point though which is a good one - we should be looking long and hard at the top end of our bag, between driver and longest iron (including what that longest iron should be.)  This isn't just about total distance though, it's about gaping, angle of attack, type of course and course conditions that you normally play, a whole variety of things.  I don't know your swing characteristics but I would certainly say, don't sleep on lofted fairway woods as much as irons.  Also consider going for a fitting that includes a full bag gaping test.  Consider carefully what type of bounce you need on your wedges for the shots that you normally play and the turf conditions at your course.  If your set is off by enough you could take your 16 to a 13 just by making some set configuration changes.

Good thread and good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD