Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2021 Driver rumors

RSS

Now I'm curious to see what callaway has up their sleeve. Not a fan of the Mavrik look so anything different would be welcome.

Also interesting that the "Mavrik Max Fast" photo shows a fixed hosel. I'd be fine with that, but when was the last time Callaway introduced a mainstream driver with a fixed hosel? It's been awhile hasn't it?

Edit: guess this isn't a mainstream driver, it's the Japanese market club that will be replacing the "star" lineup.

Edited by ChitownM2

On 7/10/2020 at 11:27 PM, 2puttbogey said:

Pair is with a hazardous smoke shaft as stock too

YES! That's the spirit! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

On 7/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, golfingbrock said:

Thanks for sharing. I am The Green Fee. I saw this on the USGA list a couple of weeks ago. I posted the original article then I found the driver on the Callaway Japan website. Like I said in my article the use of Carbon Fiber is interesting for sure. Callaway has been known to release midcycle light weight drivers

Edited by numberonecoog

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

On 7/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Now I'm curious to see what callaway has up their sleeve. Not a fan of the Mavrik look so anything different would be welcome.

Also interesting that the "Mavrik Max Fast" photo shows a fixed hosel. I'd be fine with that, but when was the last time Callaway introduced a mainstream driver with a fixed hosel? It's been awhile hasn't it?

Edit: guess this isn't a mainstream driver, it's the Japanese market club that will be replacing the "star" lineup.

The mavrik won’t be going anywhere as it’s only on the first year of its cycle. The upcoming release will be for the epic flash which is already discounted to $350 and isn’t on Callaway’s site anymore 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I need to tell myself, don't buy a new 2021 driver, the SIM Max is already awesome...

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I need to tell myself, don't buy a new 2021 driver, the SIM Max is already awesome...

Enjoying it? I bought the 3W last week should be in tomorrow cant wait to try it out. I have not had a wood in the bag in several years...wish me luck

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Enjoying it? I bought the 3W last week should be in tomorrow cant wait to try it out. I have not had a wood in the bag in several years...wish me luck

The SIM Max is a bomber. Something about it causes it to be slightly fade biased even though its not really supposed to be. Its good for one WTF slice a round, otherwise it behaves pretty well unless I put a really poor swing on the ball.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The mavrik won’t be going anywhere as it’s only on the first year of its cycle. The upcoming release will be for the epic flash which is already discounted to $350 and isn’t on Callaway’s site anymore 

I know the Mavrik will be around for this year, but @Golfspy_CG2 seemed to be hinting that something non-Mavrik was coming.

Also, is Callaway really on a 2 yr cycle with drivers or is it really just 1 year now? When the Mavrik came out, the Epic Flash seems to not only be discounted, but also discontinued. All you can get is whatever retailers have in-stock, you can't order anything which makes me think they aren't making them anymore and it was really only a 2019 product. It used to be that Callaway would have 2 driver/wood lines in production at once and they would alternate years which one got refreshed. 

9 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I know the Mavrik will be around for this year, but @Golfspy_CG2 seemed to be hinting that something non-Mavrik was coming.

Also, is Callaway really on a 2 yr cycle with drivers or is it really just 1 year now? When the Mavrik came out, the Epic Flash seems to not only be discounted, but also discontinued. All you can get is whatever retailers have in-stock, you can't order anything which makes me think they aren't making them anymore and it was really only a 2019 product. It used to be that Callaway would have 2 driver/wood lines in production at once and they would alternate years which one got refreshed. 

Yes Callaway is on a 2 year cycle per model. The mavrik came out but the epic flash was still an offering and now the replacement for epic flash will come but the mavrik will still be an offering. Just like with rogue irons replaced by the mavrik. It can be confusing because the last several releases the pricing and advertising can have one think one is a replacement for the other, but Callaway has been doing two driver releases at different time for a long time with the GBB and XR lines. 

So yes what was being referred to is the epic flash replacement. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes Callaway is on a 2 year cycle per model. The mavrik came out but the epic flash was still an offering and now the replacement for epic flash will come but the mavrik will still be an offering. Just like with rogue irons replaced by the mavrik. It can be confusing because the last several releases the pricing and advertising can have one think one is a replacement for the other, but Callaway has been doing two driver releases at different time for a long time with the GBB and XR lines. 

So yes what was being referred to is the epic flash replacement. 

Maybe this mid-summer launch will get them back to a 2 year cycle because I just went and looked it up again and Epic flash launched Jan 4 2019 and has been unavailable to order a custom club (which I take as "discontinued") at least as early as March of 2020 which was when I noticed it. Assuming availability began in February 2019 then the club barely got a 1 yr run. Epic Flash production was basically ended within a month or so of Mavrik launch on Jan 9 2020 and availability in Feb 2020.  

20 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Maybe this mid-summer launch will get them back to a 2 year cycle because I just went and looked it up again and Epic flash launched Jan 4 2019 and has been unavailable to order a custom club (which I take as "discontinued") at least as early as March of 2020 which was when I noticed it. Assuming availability began in February 2019 then the club barely got a 1 yr run. Epic Flash production was basically ended within a month or so of Mavrik launch on Jan 9 2020 and availability in Feb 2020.  

Well in March of 2020 there was a shutdown and there would be no way for them to make a custom club. Then add in supply chain issues for pretty much everybody there would be backorders that could take months. Callaway in 2013 when Harry Arnett took over the marketing they went on a 5 year war with the rest of the industry and started working on 18-24 month production cycles. The multiple lines of drivers and irons has been a consistent thing for a long time with them and each release is marketed differently. Rogue was the accuracy driver where epic and epic flash have been marketed for speed and both epic flash and mavrik marketed with the use of AI.

To my knowledge there has been no indication of a driver coming mid summer not to mention it would be hard to do that when the r&d department as well as factories were shutdown for months. Even so if there was a mid summer or even a fall release that would still fall inline with the 18-24 month cycle Callaway has maintained for the last 5-6 years. 

Yes it seems like the rogue was a replacement for the epic and then the epic flash was the replacement for the rogue and mavrik a replacement for epic flash but per Callaway themselves they are separate lines and separate releases and neither is a replacement for the other. However as consumers it doesn’t come off that way and on several forums and Facebook groups the marketing does get questioned as confusing, especially when the epic line was reduced in price just before the rogue release. 

Either way the mavrik is still in its first year of at least 18 month release and epic flash is running out of its 2 year cycle.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Also keep your eyes peeled for something possibly coming from Callaway sooner than most may think.

image.jpeg

Soon will be here very very soon. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yeah, like in 2 days!

Soon will be here very very soon. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

1 minute ago, Hadi05 said:

Yeah, like in 2 days!

Well that would be very very soon, I guess you could say. 

They have a teaser on Twitter. Looks like new irons, driver and fairway woods and hybrid? Maybe the return of BIG BERTHA????

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

Well that would be very very soon, I guess you could say. 

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

Pic from the end of the Twitter tease.

05EB9594-1B08-4893-A53C-6E5B3B6CB2D8.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just now, PMookie said:

Pic from the end of the Twitter tease.

05EB9594-1B08-4893-A53C-6E5B3B6CB2D8.jpeg

I was just doing the same LOL. That hybrid definitely says Big Bertha.

Updated 07/15/2022

Callaway Golf has announced the Big Bertha B21. It's supposed to be more forgiving and even more draw biased than Mavrik Max. They are talking about taking away the slice for a lot of players.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/clubs/big-bertha-b21-family/

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

Tony's article says "Typical test participant had backspin numbers between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM... When you get into the 3,000 and 4,000 RPM range, you’re very often talking about a ball that’s curving significantly more than you want it to. When using the B-21 driver, Callaway says its testers saw a significant reduction in spin. On the high side, B-21 dropped spin by 600 to 700 RPM."

So to go from 4000 rpm to 3300, we are still in that number range of too much spin. 

If there is anyone that can power slice a drive, it's me. These companies need to use me as a tester.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Tony's article says "Typical test participant had backspin numbers between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM... When you get into the 3,000 and 4,000 RPM range, you’re very often talking about a ball that’s curving significantly more than you want it to. When using the B-21 driver, Callaway says its testers saw a significant reduction in spin. On the high side, B-21 dropped spin by 600 to 700 RPM."

So to go from 4000 rpm to 3300, we are still in that number range of too much spin. 

If there is anyone that can power slice a drive, it's me. These companies need to use me as a tester.

I think it is like most things relative to your spin.  A person spinning it 4,000 with say a standard MAVRIK or SIM, might actually see a reduction greater than the 700, maybe 1,000 to 1,200 while a person just barely over the 3,000 threshold, might only see a reduction of 300 to 500 max.  

Any word (rumors) as to timing on new Titleist woods?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

On 8/18/2020 at 6:15 AM, KurtActual said:

Using the MSRP of $499.99 your paying between .83 and .71 cents per RPM reduced,,,,,,,,,, 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

Not sure if you saw, but the Ping G425 just made it to the USGA's Conforming List.  Usually that will mean "for sale" soon!

Hopefully that leads to a reduction of prices on the 410 model too.

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

3 wood:  :ping-small: G410, Alta 65 S-flex

Hybrids:  :ping-small: G400 19* & 22*, Alta CB 70 S-flex

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-900 5-GW, Proj X LZ 6.0

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7, 54*/S; :callaway-small: MD4, 58*/S

Putter:  :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Black 2.0 #1

10 minutes ago, AceBino said:

Not sure if you saw, but the Ping G425 just made it to the USGA's Conforming List.  Usually that will mean "for sale" soon!

Hopefully that leads to a reduction of prices on the 410 model too.

Check out the main page of the Blog there was a feature piece on it yesterday 🙂  It's still there.

The price drop actually happened about 4-6 weeks ago, so don't expect any further drops on the 410 driver or woods. 

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Check out the main page of the Blog there was a feature piece on it yesterday 🙂  It's still there.

The price drop actually happened about 4-6 weeks ago, so don't expect any further drops on the 410 driver or woods. 

Price drop actually happened back in January!

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Price drop actually happened back in January!

Really?   Well I've just tried to pretend from March through August didn't really happen...ha    Can't believe it's been that long.  Unless I had a brain F%$% and am thinking of JPX or Titleist Woods.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:15 PM, MadMex said:

Using the MSRP of $499.99 your paying between .83 and .71 cents per RPM reduced,,,,,,,,,, 

That is an awesome cauculation. 

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg