TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is your "killer" move in the golf swing?

Guest Delete

• Guests
Guest Delete

I see people at the range all the time trying so hard to get better but, they have a killer move in their swing that is robbing them of power, speed, balance, and/or consistency. 

What is your killer move?

How do you prevent it?

What helps you overcome it?

Examples could be:

• Casting
  • Locking the back leg
  • Moving hips knees and shoulders together
  • Swaying
  • Over the top
  • Flipping
  • Bad grip
  • Leaning back/weight stays back
  • Taking the club back low and inside
  • Bending the arms in the takeaway way too early
  • Strangling the club
  • lifting at/before impact
  • Etc. 

Note: sometimes the killer move can be revealed by one of the above where the thing you think is the killer move is actually the result of something else. 

• Guests
Guest Delete

My killer move is rushing the downswing. 

I have a tendency to not finish my backswing and get quick with the hands and pull down early with the club. 

I practice 2/3rds distance with full swing rotation to reveal where I am rushing. This drill helps me keep the body leading and more time to set the full rotation in the backswing with effortless distance and good balance. 

I have a number of problems but by far the worst is when my left hand comes off the grip at the top of the backswing. This most frequently happens with driver. Then at the start of the downswing, i regrip the club which causes my left wrist to cup and the face is wide open. From there, its just a disaster, mostly ending in a snap hook from shutting the face hard right before impact or a big push right from the face remaining open.

How I fix it is make sure my left hand grips the club properly during setup and then actively thinking about keeping my hands tight on the grip during the swing.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

My killer move is picking up a golf club.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

My killer move is picking up a golf club.

You too? I bet there's a lot of us!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Right now, my killer move is ego driven. I'm 60 years old and I'm used to driving the ball 260/70 and hitting my 7 iron 160/5. I have two junk shoulders and a finicky back. I call myself a "tweener" golfer right now. I can't get past what I used to be able to do ,from I can now do. I'm getting better...lol.

I now take a club or two more (I still hate it) and make sure I get there. I can still get the driver out there when everything is clicking (rare). This is the year I need to come to terms with age and pain. So.... my killer move is way over swinging... trying to maintain what once was.

Edited by silver & black

My killer is, coming over the top. If i don't take a nice slow backswing I get very handsy and fade the ball pretty bad sometimes when I really try to kill it I just slice the living crap out of it. For me I try to keep good tempo and compress the ball well with my irons. I usually get better distance if my tempo is good. When I try to kill it I rush my backswing and come over the top hard and leave the club face open. When i'm taking my time and think about my swing i'm okay. Like Silver & Black said if my ego gets in the way and I wanna outdrive the group I usually loop one out of bounds.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I don't know what my killer move is;  I need to go to an instructor to figure that out.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If I knew my killer move, I could work on it.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

My killer move isn’t in not activating the glutes (remember Tiger saying this?), mine is activating my BRAIN!!!! My mind is what kills me. Too much thinking, too much playing golf swing.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• Guests
Guest Delete
10 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have a number of problems but by far the worst is when my left hand comes off the grip at the top of the backswing. This most frequently happens with driver. Then at the start of the downswing, i regrip the club which causes my left wrist to cup and the face is wide open. From there, its just a disaster, mostly ending in a snap hook from shutting the face hard right before impact or a big push right from the face remaining open.

How I fix it is make sure my left hand grips the club properly during setup and then actively thinking about keeping my hands tight on the grip during the swing.

I used to lift my right hand off the grip until I started putting my right hand lifeline over my left thumb and thinking to keep contact at all times. 

Been there

My 'killer move'...several, but I would hazard a guess they are inextricably linked. Steep downswing leading to a poor impact position...I think you know the rest.

The real question is what am I doing about it?

I am working on more body turn, better rotation and keeping the club on a slightly steeper plane on the backswing. My next phase is ensuring my hands lead the downswing into impact, whilst hopefully this will help in creating more lag. At the ripe old age of 62 this is quite a challenge. I play off 6 (5.6) and am retired, so I have all the time in the world. Just hope my old bones can take it.

Interested to learn what others are doing to correct their killer move.

Rappers

Mine is starting the downswing with my arms leading to on over the top out to in swing.

To fix this I have to start with my hips first. They should be almost square before my arms start to move. Get it right and the swing is effortless.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Losing my spine angle and lifting up on the swing and topping it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

My second killer move is when I am a 100 yards out with a perfect lie in the fairway and my brain says "don't chunk it". Then I proceed to take the biggest divot in the world and the ball goes about 20 yards.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

12 hours ago, dlow206 said:

My second killer move is when I am a 100 yards out with a perfect lie in the fairway and my brain says "don't chunk it". Then I proceed to take the biggest divot in the world and the ball goes about 20 yards.

I've got that one!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

On 6/19/2020 at 5:54 PM, cnosil said:

I don't know what my killer move is;  I need to go to an instructor to figure that out.   

I was thinking the same thing before I scrolled across what cnosil said. I can't say that I have a "killer" move... at least in a bad sense. But I probably do. Honestly, I don't have anything currently that reoccurs over and over during a round such as hooking, slicing, fatting, thinning, etc. If I had to pick something it's under-clubbing. That's a "killer decision" and not a move. Over the past few months I'm pretty sure I'm losing some distance with my irons/approaches. Goes with the territory at 65 I suppose. 🤔

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Mine is moving my hips too fast and then my arms and shoulders have to catch up so I come over the top.  Been trying to fix it by slowing my tempo and initiating my downswing with my arms.  Maybe more a mental queue than a "correct" one.  It's a work in progress.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

Right now, my killer move is ego driven. I'm 60 years old and I'm used to driving the ball 260/70 and hitting my 7 iron 160/5. I have two junk shoulders and a finicky back. I call myself a "tweener" golfer right now. I can't get past what I used to be able to do ,from I can now do. I'm getting better...lol.

I now take a club or two more (I still hate it) and make sure I get there. I can still get the driver out there when everything is clicking (rare). This is the year I need to come to terms with age and pain. So.... my killer move is way over swinging... trying to maintain what once was.

This sounds a lot like me, I’m 57 and just had procedures on both my shoulders. I’m finally playing pain free but I’ve got about 80% of my former range of motion.

Driver used to be 260-280 now it’s 230-250

Really hard to wrap my mind around it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

7 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I was thinking the same thing before I scrolled across what cnosil said. I can't say that I have a "killer" move... at least in a bad sense. But I probably do. Honestly, I don't have anything currently that reoccurs over and over during a round such as hooking, slicing, fatting, thinning, etc. If I had to pick something it's under-clubbing. That's a "killer decision" and not a move. Over the past few months I'm pretty sure I'm losing some distance with my irons/approaches. Goes with the territory at 65 I suppose. 🤔

I definitely have a "killer" move.  better golfers are able to work around that issue and don't have it all the time.  The result of my mistakes can be fat or a toed pull hook.  I just didn't/don't know what is causing.  I did a swing assessment yesterday and got some things to work on to try and improve some of those items but we are also tweaking the swing which should help correct the fat. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don’t know if I only have one, I think it’s a nice set of compounding issues that all stem from me swing too hard. But I get quick on the down swing and lose my spine angle.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I don’t know if I only have one, I think it’s a nice set of compounding issues that all stem from me swinging too hard. But I get quick on the down swing and lose my spine angle.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV