Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Would you count it?

I was playing a little 9 hole course that’s a part of my son’s apartment complex last weekend. I came to this short very elevated par 3. The course is set up with lifted cups right now because of Covid-19.

Back tees were 134 yards abs because of the elevation I hit a towering pitching wedge that never left the flag....the ball hirs the green and on the first hop it hits the lifted rubber cup and bounces 12 feet away.

Since all you need to do to sink a putt is hit the lifted cup do you count the ace because you hit the cup with the tee shot?

Would the ball have gone in with a regulation cup? Who knows...it would have definitely got a piece of it but since the cup is lifted I’ll never know.IMG_0967.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I probably would not have counted it, but I also hate the elevated cup so don't let me take the wind out of your sails 

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Irons T200 (6 - W 48) True Temper AMT Black (S300)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:scotty-small: - 2020 Newport Select, Pistolini Grip, 35"
:titelist-small: - ProV1 

With how far away it ended up, no, I would not count it as an ace. I know you just have to hit the elevated cup but I think there's got to be some common sense used in whether a putt or shot would have actually gone in if the elevated cup wasn't there. I'd say if it bounces off the cup and ends up more than 3 feet away, depending on green speed, there's a good chance it wouldn't have stayed in anyway. The other issue with just having it hit the cup is you could skim it off the side of the cup and call it a made putt or shot when, depending on speed, it'd likely be a burnt edge or lipout. Ultimately, I'd say use your best judgement and if there's any doubt that it wouldn't have stayed in the hole if it was a regular hole then it doesn't count as a made shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

No, and that's why elevated cups is a terrible decision!  People counting the putt as good when they putt it so hard that it bounces off the raised cup, instances such as the one you just described, etc.  You know in your heart that it wouldn't have gone in if it bounced that far away.  But, as you pointed out, those are the rules (at your club -- not all).  Makes for a good story, but hardly an ace.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

5 hours ago, TBT said:

I was playing a little 9 hole course that’s a part of my son’s apartment complex last weekend. I came to this short very elevated par 3. The course is set up with lifted cups right now because of Covid-19.

Back tees were 134 yards abs because of the elevation I hit a towering pitching wedge that never left the flag....the ball hirs the green and on the first hop it hits the lifted rubber cup and bounces 12 feet away.

Since all you need to do to sink a putt is hit the lifted cup do you count the ace because you hit the cup with the tee shot?

Would the ball have gone in with a regulation cup? Who knows...it would have definitely got a piece of it but since the cup is lifted I’ll never know.IMG_0967.JPG

First congrats on the golf shot. 

So agree with most previous post, I would not count it. 

Curious did the ball  bounce hard off the raised part like a ricochet off a tree or was is slow roll to 12 feet (in case their was severe undulation of the green (like down hill kinda) that exaggerated the roll? 

Golf is a game of personal responsibility, integrity, and honesty. If you can honestly tell yourself that it would have went in, then count it.

The fact that you started this thread looking for opinions tells me that you don’t believe it would have stayed in the hole and would say so had it happen to a playing partner.

My opinion would be it is a great shot though not a hole in one but my opinion along with everyone else’s doesn’t matter. Only your opinion matters and only you have to live with that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

To quote @silver & black yup that bad boy counts! Congrats! Rifgt now if it hits the cup it counts. Could have gone in though.

eirher way that SOB is an ace so buy everyone a round!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I wouldn’t count it. At 12 feet I’m not thinking it would have dropped. More likely would have scattered off the flag or ran right by.
But I also wouldn’t want my first hole in one to be one like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

I wouldn’t count it. At 12 feet I’m not thinking it would have dropped. More likely would have scattered off the flag or ran right by.
But I also wouldn’t want my first hole in one to be one like that.

Yea tough one. Is the rule of it TOUCHES the raised cup it’s in or is it “if you think it would drop”. Maybe that’s where I’m confused?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Don’t quote me, but I think it’s a “hits and mostly likey would have gone in” thing. But I haven’t actually read the rule.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Yea tough one. Is the rule of it TOUCHES the raised cup it’s in or is it “if you think it would drop”. Maybe that’s where I’m confused?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/instruction/etiquetteist-should-hole-one-raised-cup-count/amp/

good read. Seems like it’s up to the group really....again would you want this to be your first hole in one? Tough to say.....

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I would say it is my first ace but not my first hole in one.  Based on current rules it's a 1 (so an ace) but it wasn't holed.  You'll have a great bar debate for years though!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

Would the ball have gone in with a regulation cup? Who knows...it would have definitely got a piece of it but since the cup is lifted I’ll never know.IMG_0967.thumb.JPG.5e7fe46e855af01abf18ea1d04689f3c.JPG

Like McGwire and Sosa, gotta put an asterisk next to it.
We play with foam below the lip of the cup. Same discussion on lip outs. Thank mainland China.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

First congrats on the golf shot. 
So agree with most previous post, I would not count it. 
Curious did the ball  bounce hard off the raised part like a ricochet off a tree or was is slow roll to 12 feet (in case their was severe undulation of the green (like down hill kinda) that exaggerated the roll? 

I pretty much agree with everybody’s opinion here...I didn’t count it...but I hate that the raised cup cost me a potential hole in one (BTW It would not have been my first) because it could have gone in.....we have all seen tour pros one hop them in or even dunk it on the fly, so it COULD HAVE gone in.

The sad part is I will never know.

To answer your question, it hit dead center and bounced about 2-3 feet back then it trickled down a false front stopping just on the fringe. Had there not been a slope there it probably stops 3-4 feet away.

The raised cups are very “rubbery” so it provided a spring effect.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson