Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Thinking about dropping driver

ZenGolfer

So, I run a minimalist setup.  My set is currently driver, 3H, 6i, 8i, pw, sw and putter.  Im thinking about swapping the driver for a 3w.  My thinking is that my driver is kind of a one trick pony in that I can only really hit it off the tee but with a 3w I could hit it off the tee and off the deck and it would probably be more accurate than the driver is.

Thoughts?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I played 5 or 6 rounds this year without a driver and stuck to my 3 wood. I played very well, sure I lost some distance on long par 5s but made up for it with accuracy. After a few rounds without the driver I went back to the driver just because I love smashing a beautiful drive. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

So, I run a minimalist setup.  My set is currently driver, 3H, 6i, 8i, pw, sw and putter.  Im thinking about swapping the driver for a 3w.  My thinking is that my driver is kind of a one trick pony in that I can only really hit it off the tee but with a 3w I could hit it off the tee and off the deck and it would probably be more accurate than the driver is.

Thoughts?

Like it! With that mindset, no point in carrying a tool for specialization. A well fitting 3 wood, with a shallow face, and a longer shaft might gain the distance you lose dropping driver. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Played a lot without a driver.

If you are going to do it, maybe a 12°-14°, I had mine set to 14.5 and probably out hit my driver 95% of the time with a heck of a lot more accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
I was considering a strong 3w but I wonder if I swing fast enough to hit it off the deck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Depends. Are you playing one course where that 3W would play off the deck a lot?. Unless you’re really struggling off the tee it’s tough to make that commitment. Also for me the league I played in if that was the only time I played I would probably consider it because I used the driver on 1 hole per 9 (would easily justify putting another wedge or wood in if that was the case)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

I was considering a strong 3w but I wonder if I swing fast enough to hit it off the deck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No need to make it strong unless you get fit for it! You can lengthen the shaft to give you some extra width to your arc if needed. 1/2” equals about 5 yards for most people. A lot of amateurs don’t lose much either if their driver impact isn’t optimal. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

On 6/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, Lacassem said:

Depends. Are you playing one course where that 3W would play off the deck a lot?. Unless you’re really struggling off the tee it’s tough to make that commitment. Also for me the league I played in if that was the only time I played I would probably consider it because I used the driver on 1 hole per 9 (would easily justify putting another wedge or wood in if that was the case)

Keep in mind, I play a minimalist setup, so its not so much a matter of dropping the driver because I struggle with it so much as it finding more use out of the 7 clubs that I do carry.

FWIW, I ended up picking up a Titleist 913FD 13.5* off of Ebay.  I decided to go with a strong 3 and it should be almost as long as my driver off the tee and more accurate and is still something that I can hit off the deck when need be.

Ive been hitting my 5-wood about 210 yards and my 3-hybrid about 200 yards but I only hit my 10.5* driver 230 on average (I can hit it 250 if I really go after one and get a hold of it though); so we'll see how this strong 3 gets on.

• 1 year later...

I thought about this switch alot. I have a TE XCG5 11.5 degree 3 wood (titanium shallow face). I play off the deck woods very well. But I hit the driver well also (ie accurate in the fairway). Driver 240 vs 3 wood off tee 220 => for approx 14 tee shots that's a difference of 14 x 20 yds = 240 yds. The 3 wood off the deck might come into play on 3 holes and my 3 hybrid is 190 so that's a difference of 30 yds x 3 = 90 yds. For my game, it's a no brainer. My only caveat is on long par 3s (i.e. needing a 200-210 with traps short and long) ; hard to choke down on driver and hit it high enough that it drops with little roll. I often hit 3 hybrid short (if the hole allows) and then pitch it on ... play it like a par 4. Just my thoughts ... guess it depends how good one hits driver (ie accuracy) verses difference between driver and 3 wood of tee. Cheers. IMO.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:10 PM, ZenGolfer said:

Thoughts?

Given your set makeup, seems very sensible to me....3W add's versatility to the bag. I think a lot also depends on the length you need off the tee. Shorter approaches means more GIR's and better changes for lower scores. I see this w my game. Even when I'm offline w driver, if I have a look at the green being closer has given me more GIR's, than laying back in the fairway w a longer approach shot. If 3W gets me inside 100 yards off the tee I'll do it, otherwise I pull the big stick. I think its all about confidence in what your hitting and personal preference on how you want to approach a given hole.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

• 2 weeks later...