ZenGolfer

Thinking about dropping driver

Our Sponsors

So, I run a minimalist setup.  My set is currently driver, 3H, 6i, 8i, pw, sw and putter.  Im thinking about swapping the driver for a 3w.  My thinking is that my driver is kind of a one trick pony in that I can only really hit it off the tee but with a 3w I could hit it off the tee and off the deck and it would probably be more accurate than the driver is.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Played a lot without a driver.

If you are going to do it, maybe a 12°-14°, I had mine set to 14.5 and probably out hit my driver 95% of the time with a heck of a lot more accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I played 5 or 6 rounds this year without a driver and stuck to my 3 wood. I played very well, sure I lost some distance on long par 5s but made up for it with accuracy. After a few rounds without the driver I went back to the driver just because I love smashing a beautiful drive. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

So, I run a minimalist setup.  My set is currently driver, 3H, 6i, 8i, pw, sw and putter.  Im thinking about swapping the driver for a 3w.  My thinking is that my driver is kind of a one trick pony in that I can only really hit it off the tee but with a 3w I could hit it off the tee and off the deck and it would probably be more accurate than the driver is.

Thoughts?

Like it! With that mindset, no point in carrying a tool for specialization. A well fitting 3 wood, with a shallow face, and a longer shaft might gain the distance you lose dropping driver. 

• Like 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Played a lot without a driver.

If you are going to do it, maybe a 12°-14°, I had mine set to 14.5 and probably out hit my driver 95% of the time with a heck of a lot more accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
I was considering a strong 3w but I wonder if I swing fast enough to hit it off the deck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Depends. Are you playing one course where that 3W would play off the deck a lot?. Unless you’re really struggling off the tee it’s tough to make that commitment. Also for me the league I played in if that was the only time I played I would probably consider it because I used the driver on 1 hole per 9 (would easily justify putting another wedge or wood in if that was the case)

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125 VS :titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

I was considering a strong 3w but I wonder if I swing fast enough to hit it off the deck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No need to make it strong unless you get fit for it! You can lengthen the shaft to give you some extra width to your arc if needed. 1/2” equals about 5 yards for most people. A lot of amateurs don’t lose much either if their driver impact isn’t optimal. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

On 6/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, Lacassem said:

Depends. Are you playing one course where that 3W would play off the deck a lot?. Unless you’re really struggling off the tee it’s tough to make that commitment. Also for me the league I played in if that was the only time I played I would probably consider it because I used the driver on 1 hole per 9 (would easily justify putting another wedge or wood in if that was the case)

Keep in mind, I play a minimalist setup, so its not so much a matter of dropping the driver because I struggle with it so much as it finding more use out of the 7 clubs that I do carry.

• Like 1

FWIW, I ended up picking up a Titleist 913FD 13.5* off of Ebay.  I decided to go with a strong 3 and it should be almost as long as my driver off the tee and more accurate and is still something that I can hit off the deck when need be.

Ive been hitting my 5-wood about 210 yards and my 3-hybrid about 200 yards but I only hit my 10.5* driver 230 on average (I can hit it 250 if I really go after one and get a hold of it though); so we'll see how this strong 3 gets on.