TESTERS WANTED! ×

Raw wedges tested

I recently bought 3 new raw wedges.   Mizuno T20 in 58/12, Callaway Jaws MD5 in 58/12 m grind, and Cleveland RTG 4 in 58/6.

They all cost about the same.  The T20 had the most impressive packaging and is a beautiful looking wedge.  I was very excited to get it in play.  First impressions of the feel in my hands, really heavy in the head.  The sole is big and mostly flat.   It is really good for full swings and straight forward bum and run shots.  I pride myself on having great feel with wedges.  I have always been able to hit flop shots, one bounce and stoppers, bump and runs.  I struggled with any touch shots and near the green, feel shots were really difficult because of the head weight and bounce.  Flot shots were nearly impossible.  I took it out of play after four rounds and over 3 hours of practice.  

The RTX 4 wedge is a great looking wedge that feels good in the hands.  This wedge has great balance and feel in the hands.  It has good feel on full swings, 3/4 and 1/2 swings.  The grooves provide great spin ripping the ball back 5-8 feet when I try to spin it.  On short shots around the green 20 yards and in to the green, I could hit low spinning shots that bounce once and stop.  It was easy to bump and run and the easiest club I have ever hit a flop shot with.  From firm sand the ball comes out with ease.  From soft white salty sand the low bounce makes it much harder to use, but that's why I use a sand wedge with 12 bounce.  The other thing that makes this wedge challenging is you have to sweep every ball or risk digging the leading edge and turning over the turf on it.

The Jaws wedge is another fine looking tool.  The club has a great balance and feels good in the hands.   It has good feel on full swings, 3/4 and 1/2 swings.  The grooves provide great spin ripping the ball back 8 -12 feet when I try to spin it.  On short shots around the green 20 yards and in to the green, I could hit low spinning shots that bounce once and stop.  It was easy to bump and run with.  I could flop it from the rough or even the apron of the practice green.  It was smooth out of the sand both wet and heavy, and lite white salty sand.

All three wedges kept their spin enough to stop the ball on dewy mornings.  The raw finish sheds the water well.    

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Nice write up, I have been eyeing the MD 5 Jaws raw myself.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

The Mizuno may be better with a lower bounce version.  The lower bounce may be lighter and better balanced.

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Very interesting perspectives! Thanks for putting this out there - what did you end up keeping/using?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2019

Driver - [NEW] Mizuno ST190, Atmos Black 6x, adjusted to 8.5 degrees

3 Wood - Callaway Alpha 816, Graphite Design AD-DI 7x - 15 degrees

Hybrid - Callaway XR OS, Graphite Design AD-DI 7x - 18 degrees

Irons - Adams CMB, KBS C-Taper - 4 iron - GW

Wedges - Scratch, KBS C-Taper - 53, 58

Putter - Taylormade TP Ardmore Red Limited Edition - 34 inches 

Wrosy,  I am playing the Jaws wedge most of the time.  I sub in the Cleveland in tight fairways.  Really I like both.  My home course has hard Bermuda so I like the extra bounce there.  The course I used to run, where I play quit a bit has tight bent grass fairways that are easier to play the lower bounce Cleveland wedge.  The T20 is available for another user.

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, Wrosy said:

Very interesting perspectives! Thanks for putting this out there - what did you end up keeping/using?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I originally went with the Jaws but kept practicing with the 6 degree bounce on the Rtx 4 and now that I am used to it it has taken the spot.  It is just so versatile around the greens I can make it stop within about 18 inches from 20 yards out.