TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson D7 Forged - too much for a high handicapper?

Hi guys,

I’m new here, only just found MGS but really like the community feel. 

I’ve been playing golf on and off for probably 15 years, but never really taken it too seriously or looked to improve my game. I’ve got a fairly consistent swing and can get around a course, but I make the usual rookie mistakes and my scores suffer as a result.

I’m now really starting to take golf seriously and am playing a lot more. I’ve had the same Golden Bear clubs all this time and have decided that it’s time for an upgrade to clubs that will help with my progression.

I went for a custom fitting yesterday, and did loads of research beforehand so I went in with some idea of what I was looking for. I was really keen on the Wilson D7 irons (cast) as they have loads of positive reviews and the forgiveness that I’ll probably need whilst I’m improving.

Long story short, the fitter did all the workings, watched my swing etc etc and suggested that I go for the Wilson D7 forged irons. They felt really good and I was hitting them pretty well. The fitter said these irons would last longer for me as they have the forgiveness I need now and I will be able to shape shots in the future once I get to that stage, whereas with the cast D7s I would probably have to upgrade to a new set earlier. I’ve never paid much attention to handicaps but the fitter reckoned I’d be around a 20. The driving range and the course are two different beasts though!

My question is; are these irons too much for me? This is a lot of money and I want to make the right choice. I don’t want to end up with a set of irons that will frustrate me and put me off playing because they are suited to better players. Are these mostly as forgiving as the cast D7s?

The other thing that is slightly concerning is the lack of reviews, and barely a mention of the forged D7s on MGS. Why is that? Because they’re newer?

Sorry for the rambling, I look forward to your responses and getting more involved on here.

Thanks,

SA

Great that you are taking the game seriously and that you want to invest in a quality set of clubs.
I very much like the D7 forged. The feel as I remember was very good. I have not tested the cast version.
IMO the cast version may save you an up front investment $$ and would be a little more durable vs the forged version (all things equal > same shaft/grip). The forged most likely feels a little better -- subjective is feel but it does matter to a lot of golfers...
Agree driving range testing can be different vs course but in your case hopefully the fitter is correct.
Did you hit off mat only at driving range? I personally would want to at least hit off grass turf before investing $$ for a new set if at all possible.
Bottom line I don't think you'd go wrong with either model provided fitting specs & personal feel are correct and to your likening.
MGS has quality club reviews & lots of users with good knowledge-always good to ask about things. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There are a few people that have been talking about the D7s on here;  would have to search,  but I have seen a few.     I also know that they are part of this years most wanted testing;  I hit the D7 the other day.  Solid club;  a little shorter, distance wise, that other irons in its class,  but it performs well.  Wilson makes quality products, the big question is whether they work well for you,.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I haven't hit the forged but I have hit nearly every D-series iron since the Di11. They've all been great for me as a higher handicapper and I think the D7 Forged would work for you if the fitter showed that you hit them better than the cast version (and other clubs) on the monitor. What other irons did you hit besides the D7s?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Ill echo what others have said about the fitters recommendation.  

We usually do a good amount of Forum Testing with Wilson, but the shitdown of all the OEM kinda through everything off schedule.  

But no fears, the best golf writer in the business @GolfSpy Barbajo has your back.  Here’s his first look piece from earlier this year. 

https://mygolfspy.com/wilson-d7-forged-irons-review/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I might be different than others with a low handicap. I prefer a game improvement iron. As you can see I play the Wilson D200 irons. I still think there is plenty of feedback so you know when you hit them flush or not. I figure I can always use the features that a game improvement iron can give me. I just want to hit the ball straight and land them where I want them.  I can still work the ball when needed. If I were in the market I would probably be looking at the cast version as this has worked for me.  With the forged models there is more feedback in feel and sound. There is also a bigger loss of performance on off center hits. Cavity back forged irons have come a long way but like I mentioned I want all the help I can get. I have had other brands in play but always seem to migrate back to Wilson. They just work for me!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

10 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ill echo what others have said about the fitters recommendation.  

We usually do a good amount of Forum Testing with Wilson, but the shitdown of all the OEM kinda through everything off schedule.  

But no fears, the best golf writer in the business @GolfSpy Barbajo has your back.  Here’s his first look piece from earlier this year. 

https://mygolfspy.com/wilson-d7-forged-irons-review/

Freudian slip there, Rob? 🤣

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Freudian slip there, Rob? 🤣

That autocorrect happens all the time on my phone.  I must be typing about my game too much 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your responses, and sorry for taking so long to reply!

I tried the cast and forged D7’s, and Ping G410s. I wasn’t so keen on the look of the G410s, and there wasn’t a great deal of difference between the cast and forged D7’s in performance. 

There was something different about the feel and sound of the forged. I couldn’t say what it was at this stage, but they felt nicer to hit... more satisfying I suppose. 

With that in mind and the fact the fitter said the forged irons would take me farther (in terms of my game, not distance), I went for the Forged in the end.

I got a great discount too with the blue light card, so all in all I’m really happy. Can’t wait for them to arrive now!

Thanks again for your help. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions in no time 😆

SA

Congrats on the purchase.  We always enjoy pics of  new shiny toys, I'd you're so inclined when you get them. 

Congrats on your new set and I fully agree with your decision to by Forged. I love the way Wilson Forged clubs feel and at the end of the day feel and confidence is what improving and playing good golf is all about.👍

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001