TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hard Stepping

If it’s a .370 parallel tip you wouldn’t need to hard step at all, you can tip trim to make it play stiffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Here is the tip trimming instructions for parallel tip Aerotech Steelfiber shafts. It starts at no trimming for 1 and 2 irons then 1/2” tip trim increments up to 3.5” tip trim at the 9 and wedges.

I’d think that trimming another 1/2”, or 4” total would be like hard stepping and make it play like a stiff. I’d be careful though to measure to make sure you can safely trim 4” off before the shaft starts getting bigger. I’m not sure how long the parallel section is to allow trimming.

https://aerotechgolfshafts.com/wp-content/uploads/Irons-SteelFiber-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

1 hour ago, awcarlisle01 said:

How much do I need to trim to make areotech I95 regular into stiff?

This question gets asked a lot. Basically you can't - that's why they make regular, stiff and x-stiff shafts. You have 5.25" of parallel tip section to play with, so providing the shaft hasn't already been butt trimmed to length - and provided hosel insertion depth is less than 1.25" (pretty much no chance for an approach wedge) you could eek out an extra 0.5" of trimming. But if you want stiff,  it won't get you close if you have a regular shaft to begin with. 

So if you want stiff - buy stiff. 

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one hard step is essentially just a 1/3 increase in flex...so you would need to hard step it 3 times to achieve a full flex. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

1 hour ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one hard step is essentially just a 1/3 increase in flex...so you would need to hard step it 3 times to achieve a full flex. 

1/3 flex is normally a good rule of thumb for pre-trimmed taper tip shafts, however tip trimming parallel can be a little more fickle depending on the shaft model, or how much PTS (parallel tip section) is available. Hard stepping twice is normally the limit - if you need to hard step three times, then you've got the wrong shaft.

So this link (below) is a good introduction with examples for "stepping shafts". 

https://greenlanterngolf.com/stepping-iron-shafts/

I have learned from experience when "hard stepping" a 1/2" or less I may affect feel but do not notice any performance (spin/trajectory) changes. However, when I have hard stepped an 1"+ not only did I notice a firmer feel but I also noticed lower ball flight.

I normally play my approach (aw) or gap wedges (gw) the same flex as the sand and lob wedges. I have gone the other way and "soft stepped" the pw and aw with a 9 iron tipped shaft. 

My rule with parallel shafts is there is room to go between flexes if needed regarding tipping , making sure that final length needed is available (i.e don't tip trim too much that final length is not what you need -- it happens). 

Have never tipped a .355 taper tip, I would just order the next flex up. That my process anyway. 

Good luck