Matt range instead of grass

On 6/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, Kaplack said:

Testing has shown most players hit irons further and straighter; off Range Mats than real grass.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:00 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

INteresting.... can you post a link to the test results? I've never heard that.

As usual the TXG Guys all over it.   For the TLDW crowd.  Almost identical numbers across the board. Virtually no difference, that couldn't be attributed to human swing variance.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As usual the TXG Guys all over it.   For the TLDW crowd.  Almost identical numbers across the board. Virtually no difference, that couldn't be attributed to human swing variance.

that was what I understood as well. I was surprised to read 'further and straighter' off of mats. I've used both mats and grass (mainly mats) and didn't notice any differences.

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

17 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

that was what I understood as well. I was surprised to read 'further and straighter' off of mats. I've used both mats and grass (mainly mats) and didn't notice any differences.

If that had been the case, I'd be carrying one around in the cart to drop on the course to hit each shot 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

As an addendum to my not hitting off mats. There is a course in our area that has mats, but the mats have a synthetic grass on them and it is similar to hitting off grass and much easier on your wrists and elbows as well. I would hit off them all the time. 

• Love 1
On 6/29/2020 at 8:00 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

INteresting.... can you post a link to the test results? I've never heard that.

Ive never heard that either lol

Rory A Gaddy

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/mats-vs-grass-whats-difference/

Trackman website study

7 Iron Grass 179.7 Yards

7 Iron Mat 186.9   Yards

Tester was a +2 Handicap

• Love 1

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

One thing they didn't mention.  Where were the mat balls hit.  If it was in their studio then that is a huge variable.  As Trackman is not as accurate indoors as it is outside.  As outside it tracks the entire flight.  Inside it can only track 6 feet and relies on an algorithm for the rest. 

The TXG test. You saw they took their mat outside right next to the grass hitting area so the GCQuad would get the same reading. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

One thing they didn't mention.  Where were the mat balls hit.  If it was in their studio then that is a huge variable.  As Trackman is not as accurate indoors as it is outside.  As outside it tracks the entire flight.  Inside it can only track 6 feet and relies on an algorithm for the rest. 

The TXG test. You saw they took their mat outside right next to the grass hitting area so the GCQuad would get the same reading. 

That's a great point @Golfspy_CG2.  Into a hitting screen and outside on a range can really skew results - and this has been proven many times over.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

I will made an educated guess that Matthew Wolff, hit a whole lot of balls of real grass; while at Oklahoma State.

I have never been there but I would bet 1 dollar to 100,  They have a nice grass range at the best college program in the country.

• Love 1

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

22 minutes ago, Kaplack said:

I will made an educated guess that Matthew Wolff, hit a whole lot of balls of real grass; while at Oklahoma State.

I have never been there but I would bet 1 dollar to 100,  They have a nice grass range at the best college program in the country.

Do you think he built his swing at OSU or was it dialed in by time he got there? 

GG has some very talented young high level amateurs who have learned the game hitting off mats. 

• Love 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Everyone tends to want yes or no answers, but unfortunately, it depends. I've hit off Real Feel mats, and I've hit off 1/8th inch AstroTurf on top of concrete.  Good mats are fine to hit off of. My preferred way to practice without my teacher, however, is on the golf course. If I'm just working on something in my swing, I'd rather hit BirdieBalls off the strike pad into my cul-de-sac. 

Plenty of good players learned on mats. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm pretty lucky as I have a decent number of real grass ranges pretty close to home. That said, the range closest to my house is a range that is mats only, and as long as I get one of the spots with a relatively new(ish) mat, it's actually pretty decent. They're pretty good quality mats (though I don't know the brand they use). I've become pretty attuned to using my ears as a key part of knowing if a shot is well struck. It is true that some slightly fat shots off of mats can still fly decently, but when I'm listening and feeling, I know when I've struck one of these "cheaters" and don't give myself credit for a properly hit shot.

While I definitely prefer a good grass range, I will say there are some grass ranges that can look good, but actually play poorly. These are typically heavily sanded with insufficient grass. These play more like hitting from fairway bunkers. Sure a good shot from this condition is a good shot, but this is not how actual fairways play. A real fairway will have an ever-so-slightly forgiving nature when hitting a tiny bit behind the ball because there is a bit of give and bounce. I think this is because there is a more consistent density to the grass and root structure. A really sandy range doesn't behave like that. I saw a video a while back where super slow-motion shots were taken from PGA tour pro iron shots. They showed that it is quite common for a (very) small bit of turf to be hit before the ball. Not enough to be considered "fat" at all, and still within the range of a well struck shot. (And, yes, I've heard the argument that hitting from sand will tell you if your strike is "correct" or not, but if that were really the case, all ranges would be just like a fairway bunker.)

Edited by TeeBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1