TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Champion putter fitting?

crope1

38 minutes ago, crope1 said:

Is it worth the money? I did a putter fitting at Golf Galaxy a few years and was less than impressed,  and made me skeptical of putter fittings. 

I did one there a few years ago and did not like the results. The putter did not work for me and I replaced it a couple of years later.  I think a problem was their putting track was not long enough to get a good feel for the putter.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

11 hours ago, crope1 said:

Is it worth the money? I did a putter fitting at Golf Galaxy a few years and was less than impressed,  and made me skeptical of putter fittings. 

Depends on you, the fitter, and what you want to accomplish.   It measures the characteristics of your stroke;  it does not fix your stroke, but identifies a putter that may help you achieve the ability to start the ball online and make better contact that could result in better speed control.   I assume your golf galaxy fitting was simply setup to the putter to find the right length, and bend the lie to get it to sole correctly.....that isn't a putter fitting.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

PING offers free putter fittings and I intend to do one next winter in AZ.  I've done iron and wood fittings but never even thought about putter fittings.  At first blush they seem a little over the top but, when you think about it, this club represents half of an "in regulation" round.  I have done their on-line fitting app and it will be interesting to see if it and the hands on come up with the same result.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a putter fitting a few weeks ago at a local spot (shout out No Bogeys Golf) and am liking the results so far. I was very surprised to get fit into an Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas as I generally prefer blades, but it was immediately apparent that the ball was starting much more consistently on my intended line. 

To be fair, this is something you can discover on your own at your local shop. In my opinion where the fitting really mattered most was loft, lie angle, and length. They helped get that aspect dialed in and my putts seem to be rolling much more quickly than the previously had.

My first round with the new putter was about average, second round I was putting quite well and sank two very difficult birdie putts and saved par a few times on 8-15ft putts after mediocre chips.

Taylormade SIM Driver

Titleist 915 3 wood

Taylormade M1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW

Mizuno T20 50/55/60

Toulon Las Vegas

Taylormade TP5x

📸https://www.instagram.com/samej_g/

I would be very interested in doing a club champion putter fitting. Probably more so than a iron or driver fitting. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 6/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, fixyurdivot said:

PING offers free putter fittings and I intend to do one next winter in AZ.  I've done iron and wood fittings but never even thought about putter fittings.  At first blush they seem a little over the top but, when you think about it, this club represents half of an "in regulation" round.  I have done their on-line fitting app and it will be interesting to see if it and the hands on come up with the same result.

I'm an absolute believer in putter fitting. I had tried just about everything and always had something going haywire that I couldn't figure out. Try a blade, push everything. Try a mallet, hit horrible lags. Went through a Ping fitting in 2007 and they dialed me in on a variety of issues that were all, gasp, equipment-related. They put me in a black dot mid-mallet, face-balanced putter with 0* of loft (according to the fitter at the time, it was Ping's first-ever 0-degree putter), and a 33" shaft and it's still what I game today. According to Arccos, putting is still the strongest part of my game and that certainly wasn't true pre-2007. I have done a couple fittings since and each time the fitter has said some variant of, "I can't get you better numbers than what you've got."

The one downside of getting fit is that it makes you more persnickety when you're trying to buy off-the-rack. I've thought a few times about mixing it up and getting something different, but now that I know what I need specs-wise, it makes shopping particularly difficult. (Just today I was thinking about grabbing the Wilson putter that MGS said was best value, but it doesn't seem to be available in my specs. And for $99, I wouldn't expect it to be...)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I did one as part of a full bag fitting, but it really seemed like an after thought during my fitting unfortunately.  I was hoping to really hone in and spend some time, but the fitter seemed like he was ready for me to go.  On the one hand, it is cool to have my SIM putting data and my tendencies.  However, as someone stated above, in my opinion a 10 foot putt really can't get you exactly what you need.  

That's why I always like how MGS does their putter most wanted, they include 3 different ranges including a 20' putt.  Obviously I know I'm not going to go out and sink a bunch of 20 footers during a round, but at least having a longer stroke would help me to feel more confident about the overall fitting.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Not worth the money. You get on the SAM, but they don’t have many putters, and they can’t interchange shafts, change length or lie, etc. If you do an Edel fitting with them, that will be more involved...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I recently did one and overall I would say it wasn't entirely worth it. Working on the SAM Putt Lab is beneficial to learn a lot about your stroke, but from there, you essentially just try putters that match the recommendations of the SAM. Example: My stroke said that I should use a plumber's neck/flow neck blade -- with that I tried the Newport 2, BB1, etc...

One major improvement I think they could make would be to have you back on the SAM once you narrow it down to 2 or so putters.

Driver:     image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Mavrik SZ - GD XC-7X

3 Wood:   image.png.fa4b3f2cf297aab0430b504772faa7d2.png Taylormade SIM - GD AD-DI 7X

Hybrids:  image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Apex 20* - GD AD-DI 95X

Irons:      image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png  Apex Pro '19 - DG X100 4-PW

Wedges: image.png.4554f4063a75fadd669e2b2fd26101d8.png SM7

Putter:     Spider X Chalk

Ball:         ProV1

I would love to do one at PING and think that would be an excellent option or any manufacturer like Edel, EVNROLL, etc. One-off shops is a crap shoot and depends mostly on the number of putter variants they have for you to test. Grip shape/size is important and difficult to test anywhere. SAM puttlab is a good learning experience and worth the cost alone if you have never been on one. 

My personal opinion is if you cannot hit long lag putts (ideally on grass or good turf) you are missing a decent chunk of the fitting, as well as trying different grips. Ideal putter loft is affected by green speed in addition to your delivery, so that needs to be communicated to the fitter based on the courses you play most often. 

Making flat 6-10' putts indoors isn't hard and its easy to have multiple putters perform very similar. It's nice to mimic some 40-60' putts that many GIR require you to hit to get a better overall feeling for a putter. I had an EVNROLL which was the best performer indoors but didn't work well on the course. Loved #9 style for distance control, but I was sweating any putt over 3 feet. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

My CC fitting was a good experience.  The SAMS putt lab information was very interesting.  The putter that I ended up with was less useful once I got it on the course.  I think that a putter fitting on a 12 foot mat is not as useful as being able to do a fitting on the putting green.  Since my CC fitting I have found a fitter that does his work on the putting green.  Fewer choices, some older equipment, but much better results for me.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter