TESTERS WANTED! ×

DQOTD: Tips on Using Laser Rangefinder?

Middler

Just bought an NX7Pro two weeks ago and I really like it, when I get a good reading. But I've gotten the lock on jolt several times only to find it was reading something in the background - my readings are always high, never low. On Fri I looked at my cheapo GPS and it read 73 yards, my rangefinder said 88 yards. I clubbed for 88 yards, only to find it musta been 73!!! So are there tricks? I've been pushing the ON button, sighting the pin, and pushing the ON button again while trying to line up the pin. Usually works, but not always. Went back to the manual and I thought it said, move the rangefinder from side to side across the pin, not sure if that's better. Then after my last round, I read to point it at the green short of the pin (versus the background), and come up with the rangefinder to sight the pin - haven't tried that.

Any advice?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Sounds like it is picking stuff up behind the flag. Try shooting different spots on the pin or moving one side to the other to remove background. There are courses that I have played that don’t have reflectors on sticks and trees in background. Sometimes get forced to shoot different parts of the green to get yardage. Rare but it does happen. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I never shoot the pin once. I usually shoot it 3 or 4 times and the shortest number is the one I typically go with. Mine sometimes picks up stuff in the background, however its pretty easy to tell when its giving me a bad number. 

I also splurged a little bit on a better bushnell range finder and have very few issues with it not getting the pin. Most of my issues have to do with my hand shaking while I am shooting the pin

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

When this happens to me (where I consistently pick up things past the pin) I use it as opportunity to complain to the pro-shop and ask them to put reflectors on the flag sticks (if they don't have them).

I will say over time most get more consistent with their range finders through repetition but when the flags are older or lacking reflectors I voice my concern to the course leadership. 

My trick for using my range finder is always shoot the background first on purpose. Now you will know what the “wrong” distance is. Then try shooting the flag. If you get a similar number your missed the flag. If it’s a lot different good chance your on the flag now. Plus I also always shoot the flag about 3 times for yardage confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

My trick for using my range finder is always shoot the background first on purpose. Now you will know what the “wrong” distance is. Then try shooting the flag. If you get a similar number your missed the flag. If it’s a lot different good chance your on the flag now. Plus I also always shoot the flag about 3 times for yardage confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

OP here, in reply to all the above. I have a wrist GPS, so I am looking at it first and then using the laser, if it’s way different I shoot again. And I usually take two reads to confirm. It’s getting better. I’ve been looking short of the pin and then bringing the rangefinder up and scanning back and forth on the pin until it jolts, may be helping. There’s no way I can hold it still enough to keep the crosshairs on the pin...😳

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

always shoot 3 or 4 times. doesnt hurt to have one of the free apps on the phone to give you front, center, back, so that you know the probable range of what you should be seeing. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On mine if I hold the button down it keeps giving distances (until a lock on)  So I always shoot the background first and swipe it left and right over the flag until it either locks on or I get the same reading a couple of times.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s