Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Old and slow (me)

Hook DeLoft

As long as your are still out there having a good time, then you have plenty to celebrate. Get on the right tee box for your game and enjoy!

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

If ya ain't fertilizing daisies and still getting it up you're good to go. I thought I was a hero, she rated me a zero saying honey child you ain't though.  When ya get older, expectations should decline however we still think we can whack the hell out of that ball. Hang in there cuz and enjoy ya days left on this earth. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

When I am older I hope I can play thats all I can say. I dont care if I am barely clearing fairway from forward tees. Right now I can get the ball out there but plenty of folks that consistently hit fairways and GIR's that will still run the course on me that are 80 yards shy off the tee.

The way i treated my body in my early age I will be lucky to hit 200 down the road.😩

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Grasshopper come on down to FL. Guys are old but not that slow. Theres the occasional bomber but most of us just happy to be playing 3-5 times a week.
I hit a 225 drive this morning and was thrilled, been lucky to hit 210 last few months.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Every so often I get paired with some young whippersnappers that can move the ball out there pretty good.  It's fun to watch, and it is somewhat deflating knowing that I will never be able to do that.  Most of them have a hard time keeping the ball in the fairway.  While lost balls are rare, the rough can be no place to be at my course.  Depending on their short game, I generally beat them.  I enjoy saying after one of them bombs a nice one out there:  "Nice drive.  When you are 73, you will hit the ball just as far as I do."  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

37 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'm 60. I used to legit hit my driver 250 -60 yards... with the occasional lucky, almost 300 yards on a roll. I average about 230 these days. Look at it this way..... 260 out of play is worthless...lol.

I'm one year older and I'd take 220 to 230 average and run with it 👍

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Don’t get me wrong. I am thrilled to still be able to play. I remember 30 years ago occasionally playing with 2 old guys who would hit driver, fairway wood and wedge on par fours and then one putt more often than not. Now that is something I aspire to. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 6/21/2020 at 3:46 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

I was at the range the other day trying different settings on my new driver.  After I was done, I sat in my cart and watched a young guy at our club hit 7 irons that were carrying the same distance as my driver (about 195 yds).  I just had to shake my head.  Thank goodness for senior tees!

Don't feel bad about it, appreciate that you are still playing, it don't matter how far you hit, just keep the ball moving forward. 

To be fair, I had an iron fitting last week and while I was able to get a couple of the 4 irons past 200 yards, the 20 year old in the bay next to me was hitting his sand wedge at 140, however he topped 3 out of 4 long irons that he tried, so I don't think he even tried to hit a 4 iron when I was there.

Edited by SnakeDoc

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Every so often I get paired with some young whippersnappers that can move the ball out there pretty good.  It's fun to watch, and it is somewhat deflating knowing that I will never be able to do that.  Most of them have a hard time keeping the ball in the fairway.  While lost balls are rare, the rough can be no place to be at my course.  Depending on their short game, I generally beat them.  I enjoy saying after one of them bombs a nice one out there:  "Nice drive.  When you are 73, you will hit the ball just as far as I do."  🤣

Myself and one other are the youngest of our groups in Yuma - by an average of about 10 years.  I remember playing with some of these same guys 10-15 years ago when I would spend a weekend visiting them in Yuma at the backend of an LA business trip... and they remind me of those driving stats frequently 🙂.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

21 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Don’t get me wrong. I am thrilled to still be able to play. I remember 30 years ago occasionally playing with 2 old guys who would hit driver, fairway wood and wedge on par fours and then one putt more often than not. Now that is something I aspire to. 

There are a few holes at my course when the wind is blowing where I do that.  I also have a par 5 where I hit driver, 3W, 3W or 3H, and pitch it on the green when the wind is blowing.  FYI, it blows quite a bit.  When I succeed, it's how I can break 80.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”