Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Head...please stay still!!

Hi guys,

I've been told at my golf classes that i need to keep my head still.

This is true because when i do my backswing my head rotates in the same directions as the arms.

Just wanted to know if you guys know any drills for me to improve this!!

Thanks.

:mizuno-small: ST180 9.5º w/ Aldila R.I.P. NV 65-3.8 Stiff Shaft

:mizuno-small: ST180 15º w/ Tensei 70 Stiff Shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 21º w/ Tensei 70HY Regular Shaft

:srixon-small: Z 565 5-PW w/ Miyazaki 8S Shafts

:mizuno-small: S5 56.14 and 50.07

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline

Inesis Stand Bag

Ball: To be determined (now a mix of Srixon, Taylormade and Bridgestone)

:ShotScope:

Hi guys,

This is true because when i do my backswing my head rotates in the same directions as the arms.

Thanks.

Don’t know what your instructor is trying to do or how much your head is moving, but speaking in general terms keeping the head down or keeping the head still is bad advice.

If you are taking lessons, ask the instructor; that is why you are paying him.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, D_Golfer said:

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Keeping your head still is a positive thing, but its a by-product of all of the other things that go on during your swing.  Concentrating on a still head can be counterproductive, its better to determine WHY your head moves, and address that issue.  And that is, as @cnosil says, is a job for your instructor.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

51 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Don’t know what your instructor is trying to do or how much your head is moving, but speaking in general terms keeping the head down or keeping the head still is bad advice.

If you are taking lessons, ask the instructor; that is why you are paying him.

Exactly. Some head movements are bad while others aren’t. I’m with you if taking lessons have the instructor give the drills instead of guys on the Internet that haven’t seen your swing or know what the instructor is talking about.

One could do a Google/YouTube search and find various videos and drills that may or may not help if they aren’t addressing the specific issue.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Not sure what your instructor's intent is like the others said. My instructor *wants* my head to turn slightly on the backswing to encourage more of a shoulder turn and to lessen strain on my neck and back. Tough for us to give you drills that may run counter to A) what your instructor wants, and B) what might be best for your body & swing.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

@cnosil nailed it.  Rigid "don't move your head" or "keep your head down" advice tends to translate into limiting your turn and ability to rotate, in my opinion.  Watch clips of Nicklaus, or DJ, and you'll see they turn their head in their backswing.

I think the main concern that you're hinting at is lateral movement away from the ball in the backswing, or sliding and swaying, rather than turning, which will have the effect of your head and entire body moving off the ball.  And, if a video shows your head changing height excessively it's often an indication you're not maintaining your spine angle and are possibly early extending.

I am no instructor and rarely dispense swing advice since I don't consider myself to be good enough to be dishing out advice, but I think you'll find most decent golfers and coaches will agree "keep your head down" is maybe the most popular bad advice floating around out there.

My two cents FWIW...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I at times have the real head movement problems, as identified by a quality instructor, too much lateral head movement, too much up and down. The head and body are going together in those movements, so it causes bad results.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Sometimes I feel like "keep your head still" is a way of saying "keep your eyes on your target".  I remember when I learned my dad would say "keep your head still" more as a keep your head down and don't try to follow the ball before it's been hit.  I hope that makes sense.   I don't know.... as others have said, ask your instructor the reasoning behind it. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

7 minutes ago, den748 said:

Sometimes I feel like "keep your head still" is a way of saying "keep your eyes on your target".  I remember when I learned my dad would say "keep your head still" more as a keep your head down and don't try to follow the ball before it's been hit.  I hope that makes sense.   I don't know.... as others have said, ask your instructor the reasoning behind it. 

And yet Duval and Annika both looked away as they made contact. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I think what my instructor is referring to is that when i rotate my body my head rotates and my spine slightly sways causing major inconsistencies in strike and direction

:mizuno-small: ST180 9.5º w/ Aldila R.I.P. NV 65-3.8 Stiff Shaft

:mizuno-small: ST180 15º w/ Tensei 70 Stiff Shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 21º w/ Tensei 70HY Regular Shaft

:srixon-small: Z 565 5-PW w/ Miyazaki 8S Shafts

:mizuno-small: S5 56.14 and 50.07

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline

Inesis Stand Bag

Ball: To be determined (now a mix of Srixon, Taylormade and Bridgestone)

:ShotScope:

20 minutes ago, D_Golfer said:

I think what my instructor is referring to is that when i rotate my body my head rotates and my spine slightly sways causing major inconsistencies in strike and direction

If that’s the case a drill to fix you head is fixing a symptom and not the cause. Work with your instructor on what’s needed for what he’s trying to do. Anything else is counter productive to having an instructor. 

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If that’s the case a drill to fix you head is fixing a symptom and not the cause. Work with your instructor on what’s needed for what he’s trying to do. Anything else is counter productive to having an instructor. 

Right.  This is the value of an instructor...far better equipped than most to sort out and distinguish between symptoms versus the actual ailment.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I'll second what pretty much everyone else here has said. If you're paying an instructor to help you with your golf swing then it's on them to help you accomplish the objectives set out by providing drills. Perhaps more importantly, you should work with the instructor to discover a "feel" that helps you achieve a specific goal. If they are unwilling or unable to do that for some reason then I'd recommend finding a new instructor. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And yet Duval and Annika both looked away as they made contact. 

Well, I know smokers who lived to 90+....doesn't mean it's what will work for the vast majority of people.  Generally when teaching someone new you'd want to focus on works for most people THEN start finding exceptions.  If someone who has never seen a golf swing asked you to describe a swing, are you going to describe Matt Wolff or are you going to go with something more like Adam Scott?

So I'm not saying you're wrong in saying it isn't a requirement, and I'm not saying I'm right that it HAS to stay "down"  but I've never been a fan of trying to use 1% of the 1%-ers as a baseline. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

There are great drills to help keep you in posture/maintain spine angle, but you might need more clarification from your teacher. I used to hate how much time my instructor spent talking to me, but it’s vital that you understand exactly what they want. I ended up asking a lot of questions back until he said, “yes, exactly”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, D_Golfer said:

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete
10 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

I might be shot for this but, I disagree with most of the responses here about not trying to keep your head still in the swing. 

Your address position and impact position with different head positions are a recipe for inconsistent strikes. 

If you watch any pro there is head movement slightly lateral and slightly dipping. It’s very subtle for most but it’s far from still. 

Not allowing the head to move will negatively impact the bodies ability to rotate. 

Monte has a good video on this

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

12 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Monte has a good video on this

That is a good one and AMG has one about different movements as well

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

If you watch any pro there is head movement slightly lateral and slightly dipping. It’s very subtle for most but it’s far from still. 

Not allowing the head to move will negatively impact the bodies ability to rotate. 

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete
33 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Keywords: slight and subtle

If an instructor is pointing it out then it is not slight nor subtle. 

I think we can all agree that nobody is expecting a still head to be rigid, like a statue. Still refers to calm, quiet, stable in an effort to remain centered. 

Arguing over semantics is distracting from the request for help to improve on a known fault that has been pointed out. 

The slight/subtle dip and lateral movement are results of lower body weight shifts in well balanced professional golfers who actually keep their upper buddies relatively still to maximize consistency of impact. An example is the Ben Hogan "A" where his weight shift of the lower body outlines an A frame. Notice how quiet his head is relative to how Dynamic his lower body is. 

It's not arguing over semantics, it's a centered head rotating/slightly dipping vs a head moving laterally side to side. Two completely different things.

The OP has an instructor who has given them something to do. The OP should be asking their instructor for drills and tips, not random people on the internet who all think they know more than they really do. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 hours ago, D_Golfer said:

Hey, I know that move 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

Keywords: slight and subtle

If an instructor is pointing it out then it is not slight nor subtle. 

I think we can all agree that nobody is expecting a still head to be rigid, like a statue. Still refers to calm, quiet, stable in an effort to remain centered. 

Arguing over semantics is distracting from the request for help to improve on a known fault that has been pointed out. 

The slight/subtle dip and lateral movement are results of lower body weight shifts in well balanced professional golfers who actually keep their upper buddies relatively still to maximize consistency of impact. An example is the Ben Hogan "A" where his weight shift of the lower body outlines an A frame. Notice how quiet his head is relative to how Dynamic his lower body is. 

Unless I read your post wrong you are suggesting that one should keep their head still where as I’m saying that’s not what the pros do and that there’s movement in the head and for some it’s subtle meaning they move it and the naked eye doesn’t see it where slight it a little more noticeable. 

The head in any golf golfer will move and depending on the movement it could be good or bad. The video from Monte that was posted demonstrates the good and bad and the one I posted from AMG shows 3 different golfers head moving.

Yes more than likely what the OP is saying is more in line with the Monte video and that’s bad. But like everyone is saying it’s best to leave tips and drills to his instructor since he’s the one that pointed it out and should be telling him what to to and how to do it.

I was always taught the some lateral movement of the head is ok.  My head moves back about 1" during my back swing.

Edited by Firebird
Added video

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

4 minutes ago, Firebird said:

I was always taught the lateral movement of the head is ok but not vertical movement. My head moves back about 1" during my back swing.

1" isn't that much. It's more of a problem when there is much more movement than that.

Updated 07/15/2022

Rather than focusing on my head, I focus on maintaining my spine angles.  Since my head is attached to my spine, if I maintain proper spine angles throughout the swing, my head should not be an issue.  If I raise or lower my forward spine angle, my head (and shoulders) will move up or down.  If I lose my lateral spine angle, my head (and shoulders) will sway toward or away from the ball.  Focusing on my spine angle is easier for me than trying to keep my head relatively still while still executing a rotational move with my sternum and hips.  Same results, different thoughts.  Your mileage may vary.  😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Here is a video of Tiger;  head moves quite a bit in my opinion

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Here is a video of Tiger;  head moves quite a bit in my opinion

And it’s funny listening to the announcers talk about the amount it moves. 

A little video of Hogan and you seen see how his head and body are in a different spot before impact. 

for some reason it wouldn’t let me past the code so here’s the link to the article with the video

https://consistentgolf.com/ben-hogans-grid-swing/