TESTERS WANTED! ×

Distance vs Consistency

Would you sacrifice Distance for Consistency?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather hit your driver 270-300yds but all over the place, or hit 260-275yds and give yourself a chance to score.

• Take Distance over Consistency, find the ball later
    • Take Consistency, but be a little bit back

We all love the long ball, but does that equals better scores?  Hitting the ball 270-300yds is awesome, but you get 1 or 2 of those shots a round (for regular mortals) .
would you rather hit a consistent ball 250-260yds (modest example) you know you will find it and its like right middle left of the fairway (depending on your shot shape) and have the opportunity to score in a more consistent basis.

Or do you feel, screw it, I want to get that big drive , it lands where it does, and I will try to get to the green from there.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

The goal of hitting driver is to get it to go as far as possible. If one is properly fit the consistency will be there from ball speed and launch. Course conditions, hole layout will determine end result as will strike location and start line.

There doesn’t have to be one or the other. If someone wants to swing all out on a hole to get a little extra that’s something that can be done when necessary. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

22 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

We all love the long ball, but does that equals better scores?  Hitting the ball 270-300yds is awesome, but you get 1 or 2 of those shots a round (for regular mortals) .
would you rather hit a consistent ball 250-260yds (modest example) you know you will find it and its like right middle left of the fairway (depending on your shot shape) and have the opportunity to score in a more consistent basis.

Or do you feel, screw it, I want to get that big drive , it lands where it does, and I will try to get to the green from there.

What most everyone fails to release is that hitting it shorter doesn't mean you will be in the fairway. AND the longest hitters are roughly 3%-5% less accurate than the average. That equates to less than half a fairway every round. #sendit

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

For me, hitting less than driver DOES result in more FIR but DOES NOT result in more GIR: so no real impact on score for me. But if you’re playing a course where wayward drives = OB than I could see it being a viable strategy and leading to a better score.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I pick the longer distance option as long as I am not hitting multiple OB balls. 

If i am hitting a lot OB balls, then I would rather be back and more accurate.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Sorry but a scratch golfer hits the ball around 250 on average so while there may be a few who have to worry about such things reality is these numbers are out of proportion.  If we are talking theoretically though it simply depends on whether or not the 275-300 is causing a significant amount of penalties or just simply not in the fairway - generally speaking the farther you hit it without taking a penalty (by that I mean being behind trees just as much as OB or in a hazard) the lower scores you will shoot - it's simple math, you're playing a shorter course - that's why the average scratch player hits it 250, the average touring pro who is around a plus 8 hit its 290, the averaged golfer - a 14 - hits it 210 and so on and so forth.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was taught to the course management is far more important than distance off the tee. I always want to hit a full PW (120m) so I therefore subtract 120m off the hole length - i.e. 320m hole, my tee shot needs to go 200M which equals a 4 Iron.

Benefits.

1. Generally most golfers hit their 4 Iron/hybrid much more consistent than a driver, in my case I would average 80+% fairways hit. Driver <40%

2. Much easier to take a full swing than a 1/2 - 3/4 or 2/3's swing to try to hit 60-65m. 

3. To it is much easier to shorten your grip or go up or down a club if you need more or less distance + - 10m

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Consistency all day.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Based on the votes there are people who don’t believe in math. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

Based on the votes there are people who don’t believe in math. 

I’m about 18 yards longer off the tee this year than last year. I’m not sure why, it might just be my home course is firmer than last year. Anyway I’m hitting about 10% less fairways. I can’t remember the last time I was OB off the tee regardless of my distance. With the extra distance my handicap is 2 strokes higher this year than it was at this time last year. In my normal foursome the two shortest hitters are the lowest handicaps of the group. While I agree if you can bomb it you’re better off but you still need to stay out of trouble and know how to score.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

10 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I’m about 18 yards longer off the tee this year than last year. I’m not sure why, it might just be my home course is firmer than last year. Anyway I’m hitting about 10% less fairways. I can’t remember the last time I was OB off the tee regardless of my distance. With the extra distance my handicap is 2 strokes higher this year than it was at this time last year. In my normal foursome the two shortest hitters are the lowest handicaps of the group. While I agree if you can bomb it you’re better off but you still need to stay out of trouble and know how to score.

Yes, scoring is a separate animal but statistically the closer you are to the hole the better your scoring.

If you asked golfers this year you will hit the ball 18 yards farther off the tee with the same amount of penalties, but you will hit 1 less fairway a round the adoption rate would be north of 99% and with a large enough sample size their scores would go down. 

I will admit that the question from the OP leaves a lot of interpretation.

17 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

😱

Wow!   18 yards further!  It's the ball.  It must be the ball.  I think we should roll back the ball.  OK, who's with me on this??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Wow!   18 yards further!  It's the ball.  It must be the ball.  I think we should roll back the ball.  OK, who's with me on this??

Well I went from 226 to 244 so I think a roll back should seriously be considered. But if I tell the entire story I’ve been trying different putters about every round and that has hurt me. With SkyTrak I learned how to maximize my distance with ball and foot adjustments. In other words I’ve embraced the over the top swing and am squaring it up.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Sorry but a scratch golfer hits the ball around 250 on average so while there may be a few who have to worry about such things reality is these numbers are out of proportion.  If we are talking theoretically though it simply depends on whether or not the 275-300 is causing a significant amount of penalties or just simply not in the fairway - generally speaking the farther you hit it without taking a penalty (by that I mean being behind trees just as much as OB or in a hazard) the lower scores you will shoot - it's simple math, you're playing a shorter course - that's why the average scratch player hits it 250, the average touring pro who is around a plus 8 hit its 290, the averaged golfer - a 14 - hits it 210 and so on and so forth.

Is that 250 adjusted for age, or is it across the board?

This is probably a question for a new thread, but how much would slope rating play a role in your decision? My favorite five muni’s play from the 114-133: I play the blacks and bomb and gouge at the easiest, but at the hardest the driver may not make an appearance all round.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

This is probably a question for a new thread, but how much would slope rating play a role in your decision? My favorite five muni’s play from the 114-133: I play the blacks and bomb and gouge at the easiest, but at the hardest I’m up a tee and the driver may not make an appearance all round.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

9 hours ago, Micah T said:

This is probably a question for a new thread, but how much would slope rating play a role in your decision? My favorite five muni’s play from the 114-133: I play the blacks and bomb and gouge at the easiest, but at the hardest the driver may not make an appearance all round.

It's across the board in any number of studies including ARCCOS data.  The easiest way to predict someone's handicap group or lack there of is average distance off the tee.  Given that nearly all of us here have handicaps and none of us, even the few plus handicappers in our midst, are approaching a level where we could actually make a living playing golf there is no doubt that we will have tons of anomalies spread throughout our group.

Even when I was close to scratch ten years ago my average drive was below 250 - right around 240 (although it was the dawn of the shot tracking era so it may have been 5 yards less or perhaps more but doubtful).  That might I had to offset that lack of distance over and against others in my handicap group.  I did it primarily with chipping and consistency in other areas.  My current handicap index is 4.7 (I don't constantly update my status.)  According to ARCCOS its 3.1 BTW which I attribute to the fact that they don't have the blended tees that I normally play in the system and so they are crediting many of my rounds as being played on a tougher course. 

Here's my breakdown:  Driving 8.9, Approaches 8.0, Chipping 1.2, Sand 4.3, putting 1.4

It's easy enough to see that at my level of play one can offset a lack of distance fairly easily.  At the yardages that the OP suggested however you would be dead meat trying this stunt.  You better well be in the longer group trying to figure out how to keep it in play - my guess is that there is very little difference in regards to the strokes gained categories between best and worst among touring pros - a few strokes here or there is the difference between missed cut at -3 (last weekend) on a course that would have a rating of 76 and slope of 150 or -5 on the same course with the opportunity to cash a check for 250K (which a few of the -5's accomplished by having great weekends.)  It's a different game.

In general the closer you are able to get the ball to the hole the lower the scores that you will shoot.  If you aren't seeing that then you need to either work on your driving accuracy or your approach shots (you should be able to figure out which.) 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

13 hours ago, Micah T said:

This is probably a question for a new thread, but how much would slope rating play a role in your decision? My favorite five muni’s play from the 114-133: I play the blacks and bomb and gouge at the easiest, but at the hardest I’m up a tee and the driver may not make an appearance all round.

As Rev said it is based on Arccos. The problem I have with the way Arccos has presented the data is that it is driving distance. It is not driver distance. There is a big difference between the two and the presentation of the data is flawed. 

21 hours ago, revkev said:

Those numbers where just examples,  not from data driving database averaging hundreds of various golfers and the rotation of the earth.  IT was just discussion starter, if we mere mortals are only averaging 210-220yds , and we are not  consistent , would we still take bomb it and deal with it, or do we take consistency .

Average course that most people play I would say is between 6300-6700 yds. No where near any PGA length.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

2 hours ago, MrBandit said:

Those numbers where just examples,  not from data driving database averaging hundreds of various golfers and the rotation of the earth.  IT was just discussion starter, if we mere mortals are only averaging 210-220yds , and we are not  consistent , would we still take bomb it and deal with it, or do we take consistency .

Average course that most people play I would say is between 6300-6700 yds. No where near any PGA length.

Thanks for the explanation - I'll play - it's easy - distance - I'm consistent as all get up - ask anybody who has ever played with me or look at the numbers that I sighted earlier - I'm limited by my lack of distance.  For me to break the next handicap barrier I'd have to hit it farther - let me do that and I will figure out the consistency thing - its way easier to become consistent than it is to add 15 yards.  There are very few people who play golf who aren't limited by how far they can hit the ball just like there are very few people who play baseball who aren't limited by how fast they can throw it. 

Back at whoever said that ARCCOS only used average drive there are other studies on the matter and all of them net between 245-255 with driver for a scratch driver - but since that's not that OP's point we can take that discussion elsewhere - and we have on numerous occasions. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

18 hours ago, Kenny B said:

But Kenny... don't you hit it 4 yards more? 🏌️‍♂️

Perhaps it's the tee!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I have no response for that, since I will never do either.

Say's Mr. Center-Stripe 🤣.  You may have these guys fooled, but we've played together.

As to the OP question, being on the fairway = better scoring for me, more often than not. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

But Kenny... don't you hit it 4 yards more? 🏌️‍♂️

Perhaps it's the tee!

🤣  One of the ladies we play with on the weekends plays those and I gave mine to her.  She needs it more!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Say's Mr. Center-Stripe 🤣.  You may have these guys fooled, but we've played together.

As to the OP question, being on the fairway = better scoring for me, more often than not. 

Us old guys have to hit the ball straight.  Long and crooked is no good, but short and crooked is much, much worse!!

Here's my breakdown:  Driving 8.9, Approaches 8.0, Chipping 1.2, Sand 4.3, putting 1.4

Revkev,

Are these numbers your handicap by club type?

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

The strokes gained guys say a 9 iron from the rough will find the green more often than a 7 iron from the fairway. 

Also, IMO, you can teach consistency a lot easier than you can teach distance. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

49 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

The strokes gained guys say a 9 iron from the rough will find the green more often than a 7 iron from the fairway. 

Also, IMO, you can teach consistency a lot easier than you can teach distance. 

I'm not sure this is completely accurate, last I checked the fairway/rough break-even differential was around 30 yards.  I just compared proximity on the PGA Tour from 2019.  From 125-150 in the fairway, the mid-level players averaged about 22 feet.  From 100-125 in the rough, the average is about 27 feet.   Even 25 yards closer, the proximity from the rough was significantly worse.

The way the poll question is phrased, I'd pick consistency.  But the original poll question is pretty useless, the question isn't a binary one.  Typically, an increase in driving distance doesn't mean EVERY drive, or even most drives, will be in the rough.  It typically means the percentage of balls in the rough increase, but not dramatically.  A typical choice might be drive it 250, fairway 70%, as compared to drive it 275, fairways 60%.  That means two fewer fairways per round, but 25 yards closer on average for 14 holes.  IF that is the real choice, I'll take the increase in distance, and accept the slight decrease in accuracy.  Of course at my age, I'm just trying to maintain what little distance I get off the tee, there's no way I'm going to pick up 20 or 30 yards.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Ahh...I was thinking if you could bomb the ball 275-315 yards with a wayward drive here or there vs being 250yds all day long...I'd still choose consistency.  Op doesn't state what kind of short game or what kind of recovery skills you have so it could cost you strokes...in the real world though there have been many times I've tried to play it safe only to be worse off and quite a few times where the fairway is wide open, only to have an unintended slice or hook come in.  

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder