TESTERS WANTED! ×

What outside influences impact your round the most?

I played in a tournament this past weekend and played "okay" through 7 holes before the wheels fell off (double or worse on 9 of last 11 holes).  After the round I was thinking through what went wrong.  Of course, I thought about what was wrong with my swing but then when talking to my wife she said "well why did you change anything?" which led me to think further.

I did not eat a big breakfast, tee time was 12:12 so did not eat lunch at all, and only had a few trail mix packages in my bag.  I was STARVING on the course and that was in my head big time.  I just wanted the round to end and I started rushing by not sticking to my pre-shot routine, got frustrated with my partners playing slower than me (not slowly, just slower than me).  So though my swing sucked, there were some underlying causes to me falling apart.   I know how to fix it...just eat more before the round and bring more food on the course.

But my question to all of you is.....   What, outside of your swing itself, causes the biggest negative (or positive) impact on your round?

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

Two main things for me throw off a round, feeling rushed to make my tee time and food and drink.

Beginning with the food/drink side, being dehydrated during the round has hurt me many a time on a hot day, but especially on cool days where I don't realize how much I need to hydrate. I've gotten better about taking a large thermos with me and that has helped my focus levels.

When it comes to food, I noticed that even if I grabbed something at the turn, I still would have lower energy and focus. That was more do to choosing terrible for you food and with the benefits of time at home during lock down, I have been more aware of what I am eating, and what that does to my overall mood. I have started to pack healthier food options and that helps me maintain my focus and energy better throughout the round.

When it comes to rushing to make my tee time, I have a "pre-game" routine so to speak even though most of the courses I play don't have a driving range. I like to go through a stretching series, make swings with my Sklz Trainer, as well as spend time chipping and putting for about 10 minutes. I find that 20 minutes or so before a round if spent at the course preparing helps me find the right mental state. 

If I go from car, to clubhouse, to tee box I don't feel comfortable until the 5th or 6th hole.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Work and related issues have derailed tournament rounds on a number of occasions most notably when I was called out in the middle of the night because someone died and then had a mid morning tee time in my club championship or when I had to forfeit in the semi finals another year because the make up date was a Sunday morning and my opponent refused to allow me to move the round an hour later - the club had no problem with that switch.  Nobody recognized that guys championship the following season - they even kept taking his name plate down from the parking place. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

like @revkev said any work related issues. Minor stuff which is always do not but if there is a big project or if something really went wrong that day I can be thrown off. Other than that not much, have played well after hangovers/dehydration.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I have found that work stress and personal stress actually helps me.  Takes my mind off of the golf game a bit, but not in a "I have to rush home" kind of way.  Like how caddies like to talk about other sports on the walk to the ball off the tee, don't stress about the next shot. 

Funny story, in high school one of the best rounds I played on my golf team was when my GF was "late".   Did not think of my golf swing at all between shots and also was not rushed because I dreaded being home.  We played 9 and I think I shot a 37 at Gulph Mills. 

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

2 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Pace is another killer for me. My best rounds have been foursomes. Playing as a twosome can make me feel rushed. Even waiting a long time can be a killer because when it is my turn I can feel rushed. Telling myself that I have time to make my shot can help get me back to that happy place. 

I could not agree more on pace.  It's very Goldilocks for me as well.  Too slow and I feel I have to rush to catch up (only to just wait on the next shot), but too fast I feel like I have to keep up.  There is a perfect pace somewhere and, as you said, usually happens most often when playing in a foursome. 

My number 1 killer is pace of play.  I'm generally pretty quick when I play, even when playing badly.  So when things grind to halt, especially during our Tuesday night league, my scores generally start to suffer because I get so frustrated.  To be fair, we are at almost 3 hours for 9 holes in 4-somes.

My other problem comes from the attitude of others in the group.  If I play with somebody really negative, then I jump on the cranky-train and start complaining about bad breaks or bad shots instead of focusing.

I think what I'm realizing is that I need to get out of my own head and not let the outside mess with my game.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, Jwhite86 said:

My number 1 killer is pace of play.  I'm generally pretty quick when I play, even when playing badly.  So when things grind to halt, especially during our Tuesday night league, my scores generally start to suffer because I get so frustrated.  To be fair, we are at almost 3 hours for 9 holes in 4-somes.

My other problem comes from the attitude of others in the group.  If I play with somebody really negative, then I jump on the cranky-train and start complaining about bad breaks or bad shots instead of focusing.

I think what I'm realizing is that I need to get out of my own head and not let the outside mess with my game.

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

I’d say food and hydration are about the only things that get to me during a round. Pace of play used to but I’ve gotten over that mental barrier. I’m surprised to see comments about work/stress. For me my weekly round is my getaway from everything. I get so into what I’m doing that I honestly forget about everything that is going on and focus on my game. One time I left work to meet a friend of mine for an afternoon round, the transmission in my truck started slipping and it went into limp mode. So i limped it to the course at 40 mph and played a decent round. When we got done my buddy looked at me and asked if I needed a ride home, I looked at him for a second before I realized what he was talking about. I completely forgot about the fact that my truck needed a new transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Father Time!  😄  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

4 hours ago, den748 said:

I have found that work stress and personal stress actually helps me.  Takes my mind off of the golf game a bit, but not in a "I have to rush home" kind of way.  Like how caddies like to talk about other sports on the walk to the ball off the tee, don't stress about the next shot. 

Funny story, in high school one of the best rounds I played on my golf team was when my GF was "late".   Did not think of my golf swing at all between shots and also was not rushed because I dreaded being home.  We played 9 and I think I shot a 37 at Gulph Mills. 

I would be stressing of getting another ball in the...I will stop there.🤣

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Probably stresses related to my work or personal life.  I try to leave all that stuff outside of the course and be zen but sometimes it creeps up on me.  Next thing you know Im thinking about work or some other kind of stress and my golf game is a mess.  

It doesnt happen as often as it used to but it still does sometimes.  After all, I may the zengolfer but Im not yet a zen master.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Booze

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Random pains, currently tennis elbow, sometimes back pain.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Pace of play. Slow is a killer, but too fast can be a problem sometimes too. I need to keep a rhythm out there and make sure to stay on routine for every shot.

Weather is a problem if it's wet or cold. Wet I think about turf interaction and it becomes a guessing game on when i'll fat a shot.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Pace of play. We played today and normally are able to get 18 in in about 3-3.5 hours. 5 hour round today was just too much.

I noticed that while waiting for my 2nd shot for more than 5 minutes, I would end up chunking it. Which looks great especially when there’re others waiting on you. There were approximately 6 foursomes in front of us. Today we had both taken the day off to play 36. A 5 hour round negated that idea.

So pace of play is a huge factor for me. Gives me time to overthink my shot

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

1. Work.
2. A work call/text.
3. Slow play in front of me.
4. Being trapped between slow play in front of me and the people behind me thinking I’m the one holding them up.

Wind, rain, heat, cold, etc - don’t hold a candle to the storm raging between my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

1. Weather (can not play with lightening anywhere close on radar -- its complicated, grew up through too many tornados)

2. Life related stress that is on my mind. (Funny thing I use the driving range/golf net to decompress and relieve stress but not the course/tournament golf)

3. A horrible warm up session (causes me to over simplify my routine ... at least the first few holes / I normally play fast, I go a little too slow, get out rhythm) 

4. Bad attitude of team members (scramble) or a competitor (stroke play)

5. Improper night of sleep and/or eating wrong food before round (I tend to eat too much at breakfast if bacon and home made biscuits are in place 😃 )

I also hate slow play.  I am a pretty quick player, no practice swings just get my yardage and step up and hit the shot.  If people don't let me play through I tend to get upset and dwell on them not having proper golf course etiquette.  Another influence is my wife.  If she tends to text me during a round as asks, "when will you be done or home" I tend to try to speed up because that's my clue to get my butt home.  haha.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

If I had to name one thing it would be slow play. Tournaments or anytime.

Honestly, I don't worry about things I can't control anymore. I am however playing in a 2-day private annual invitational this coming weekend. This event is a partnership competition. Because of our hcps (4-5) we'll play in the Presidents flight. But as 65-66 year old guys we have no chance from the tees we'll be playing. Anyway... I'm just looking to have fun and enjoy the course, events, and connecting with guys I see there each year. It's a ton of fun win or lose IMO.

https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/default.aspx?pg=golf

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

In no particular order...

- Slow play. I'm a fast player, so much so that I need to slow myself down sometimes. I have no problem with deliberate play, just a problem with slow play that is oblivious to others. On most courses in my area there is no reason you cannot get around 18 with a cart in less than 4:30. I've unfortunately been a part of too many five hour rounds.
- Food/drink. I never used to bring either to the course, but I've found that I play better with at least some hydration and food in my stomach before and during a round.
- Playing partners. I'm generally uncomfortable playing with people I don't know (something I'm working on - I don't play with people very often), but I also have had some partners who are really uncomfortable to play with for various reasons (complain about this/that, hit up on other groups, sit and complain about slow play, etc.).

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Definitely alcohol. I was a better player 10 years ago than I am now. Age, pain, divorce and not playing near as much as I used to is detrimental to playing well. These days I just have fun take it in stride. I have good rounds and bad rounds, but alcohol is the biggest contributor as to why I don't score well..... and I don't really care...lol.

Edited by silver & black

Honestly I can play tired. I can play sick. I can play if I had a bad warm up. The killer for me is if I play with someone who just annoys me. We have a large group of guys on the weekends and I try to ride with someone I like and get into a group of guys I like. Some times it doesn't work so I just kind of keep to myself which is opposite of the norm. 

Pace of play just gnaws at me.  But far and away the biggest detriment to my scoring is playing with my wife.  I love her and enjoy a nice day playing with her but between the what am I doing wrongs (and won't take the correction) and wanting to talk about other life issues that just doesn't let me focus I never score well.  And it's not like I can take a separate cart (oh, by the way, I drive too fast) or just stay away and not talk to her.  Anyway I will play every single time she asks because there may be a time when we cannot play together but I know it won't be for a score.  Also - how do you enter those scores for handicapping?  I just consider it practice.

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

#1 Pace of play. 6 hour rounds, shoot me please.

#2 Rain

#3 Club throwing, loud mouth, talk in your back swing jerks. I try not to let this bother me when I get stuck with one. I know what they are trying to do. So I let my clubs do the talking and shut him up. Still dont like them. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag