TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Shaft length

Last year I was fit for a set of irons which ended up being .5" shorter. I purchased couple of wedges last yr online which are standard length which I have struggled to hit consistently no matter how much practice I put into them. Question is should I be fit for wedges as well? Sorry for a newbie question just trying to iron things out. 

Yes, you should probably be fit for wedges. What lie angle are your irons? If your irons are not set at the standard lie angle, I would get the wedges bent to the same angle. I believe (I could be wrong) that your wedges might be more upright than your irons due to the extra length.

Edit: if you keep the wedges, I would get them cut down too

Edited by crope1

C863FD6F-A6FF-4575-AE0B-D47F55C55EE2.jpeg

1 hour ago, TxTwinDad+2 said:

Thanks for the replies and yeah the lie is 1 degree flat lie angle. So with that being said I guess a wedge fit is on the list now. 

You can always have the wedges bent first to see if that makes a difference before going through a fitting.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 hours ago, TxTwinDad+2 said:

Last year I was fit for a set of irons which ended up being .5" shorter. I purchased couple of wedges last yr online which are standard length which I have struggled to hit consistently no matter how much practice I put into them. Question is should I be fit for wedges as well? Sorry for a newbie question just trying to iron things out. 

I would get wedges fitted/adjusted to match iron specs. Additionally, (after length,loft,lie checks) I would have the fitter evaluate the sole grind (shape) and bounce type you have in your wedges and see if you can actually play those compared to your divot patterns. You may not have to change at all or even right away but little things like that go a long way in what you get out of your game. A good learning experience that can help you the next time you choose to purchase irons/wedges. Good luck.

I would get wedges fitted/adjusted to match iron specs.

This will depend on how you utilize your wedges. I was talking with Harry; MGS headquarters, who went to a fitting last week. The basic feedback from the fitter was if you are primarily hitting full swings, match iron specs. If you are hitting partial shots going a degree or two flatter than your iron specs would be better. This will be dictated by how you setup for those partial shots.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This will depend on how you utilize your wedges. I was talking with Harry; MGS headquarters, who went to a fitting last week. The basic feedback from the fitter was if you are primarily hitting full swings, match iron specs. If you are hitting partial shots going a degree or two flatter than your iron specs would be better. This will be dictated by how you setup for those partial shots.

Great point. I prefer full swing for all clubs but I guess I learned how to do half shots, 3/4's, etc growing up in  a era with just 48 deg pw and 56 deg sw. No one looked at sole angle/bounce either, or at least I didn't. Regardless, I concur, the players ability and how they prefer to play.

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

Thats a very good point I think ideally I would like to hit full shots however the inconsistency has me taking more partial shots than I would actually like to. 

10 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

I would get wedges fitted/adjusted to match iron specs. Additionally, (after length,loft,lie checks) I would have the fitter evaluate the sole grind (shape) and bounce type you have in your wedges and see if you can actually play those compared to your divot patterns. You may not have to change at all or even right away but little things like that go a long way in what you get out of your game. A good learning experience that can help you the next time you choose to purchase irons/wedges. Good luck.

This is also something I did not consider when I bought the wedges grind or bounce I'm learning a lot from this post alone. If only I had known of this before hand.

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, aerospace_ray said:

Great point. I prefer full swing for all clubs but I guess I learned how to do half shots, 3/4's, etc growing up in  a era with just 48 deg pw and 56 deg sw. No one looked at sole angle/bounce either, or at least I didn't. Regardless, I concur, the players ability and how they prefer to play.

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete
6 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I'm totally opposite. I prefer never to take a full swing on any club if I don't have to. 

I love partial swings and 3/4 swings. I find myself clubbing up and swinging easy as often as possible. 

One of my best rounds only had 3 full swings the entire round. I had 11 pars and 7 bogeys. 

Shoot that sounds like a solid round to me. I need to work on 3/4 swings my lower body gets very loose when I try and club down and swing "too easy"

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/24/2020 at 7:49 AM, TxTwinDad+2 said:

Shoot that sounds like a solid round to me. I need to work on 3/4 swings my lower body gets very loose when I try and club down and swing "too easy"

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete
Sorry for this being off topic. 
If your lower body is loose on partial swings then it could be two things:
  1. Moving your hip too soon in the backswing
  2. Straightening the back knee
1. Let your shoulder turn feel like it pulls your hips around instead of moving the hip early. The separation of the upper and lower body is a big part of effortless power
2. Try to keep a slight bend in the trail knee on the backswing. Straightening the knee gives up a lot of torque and changes the timing quite a bit. 

While we all want to help, keep in mind swing advice from a golf forum isn’t always the best for you. Personally, I wouldn’t follow this advice in this post because it disagrees with how my swing works. Each of us is different in our feels and thoughts on what we think we do; however, that may not be the reality of our swing.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/24/2020 at 9:06 AM, cnosil said:

While we all want to help, keep in mind swing advice from a golf forum isn’t always the best for you. Personally, I wouldn’t follow this advice in this post because it disagrees with how my swing works. Each of us is different in our feels and thoughts on what we think we do; however, that may not be the reality of our swing.

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete
11 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Sorry again for being off topic. 

@cnosil I would disagree. What I described are basic fundamentals that apply to all able-bodied golfers. I challenge you to show me any elite golfer that does NOT do these two things? 

I will admit it is armchair advice from someone who is not an expert. However, my ability to recognize and communicate swing mechanics is better than most. 

My favorite golf instruction is Jack Nicklaus from Golf My Way - book and video (YouTube has it). He describes the golf swing very well and, I believe better than Ben Hogan did. Ben Hogan's swing is timeless. Jack just put it to words better. 

Martin Hall is a hack - this guy is ruining many golfers. 

Cameron McCormick gives people too much information for any amateur to implement. 

The Harmon brothers don't fix what ain't broke. Tiger switching to Sean Foley is arguably the worst thing he ever did because Sean relies too much on trackman data. 

But, again, I challenge you to dispute these two basic fundamentals. 

100% incorrect. Your advise applies to you. The last lesson I got was the direct opposite of what you said about straightening the trail leg. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

[mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] I would disagree. What I described are basic fundamentals that apply to all able-bodied golfers. I challenge you to show me any elite golfer that does NOT do these two things? 

I will admit it is armchair advice from someone who is not an expert. However, my ability to recognize and communicate swing mechanics is better than most. 

My favorite golf instruction is Jack Nicklaus from Golf My Way - book and video (YouTube has it). He describes the golf swing very well and, I believe better than Ben Hogan did. Ben Hogan's swing is timeless. Jack just put it to words better. 

Cameron McCormick gives people too much information for any amateur to implement. 

The Harmon brothers don't fix what ain't broke. Tiger switching to Sean Foley is arguably the worst thing he ever did because Sean relies too much on trackman data. 

I am not worried about being off topic; we do that all the time in threads. MODS may hate us, but oh well

I would suggest looking at some of Mike Adams stuff which is based on biomechanics and how the body works. He provides example of golfers that post up on their left side, right side, and around the core. He shows how players trail hand grips need to be different.

Also pressure plates have shown that the older fundamentals that were taught are not necessarily accurate. There have been lots of advancements in understanding how people swing the golf club over the years.

I am glad you have found an instruction approach that works for you, but not every golfer fits with your model. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with me; and people do all the time....especially my wife. I am not an expert in analyzing goof swings but realize every golfer is unique in what they need.

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am not worried about being off topic; we do that all the time in threads. MODS may hate us, but oh well emoji9.pngemoji2957.pngemoji16.png

I would suggest looking at some of Mike Adams stuff which is based on biomechanics and how the body works. He provides example of golfers that post up on their left side, right side, and around the core. He shows how players trail hand grips need to be different.

Also pressure plates have shown that the older fundamentals that were taught are not necessarily accurate. There have been lots of advancements in understanding how people swing the golf club over the years.

I am glad you have found an instruction approach that works for you, but not every golfer fits with your model. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with me; and people do all the time....especially my wife. I am not an expert in analyzing goof swings but realize every golfer is unique in what they need.

... I have a few on ignore and after reading some posts here, I remember why. In my experience, the reason fundamentals break down on 3/4 and 1/2 shots is much more mental than physical. Not trusting that your swing will produce the distance you need can cause a myriad of problems from decelerating to awkward movement with the lower body in an attempt to slow down a swing that actually needs acceleration. Armchair advice on a forum without proper training and seeing the swing in question is a recipe for disaster. As I said, usually more mental than physical and a deceleration with the club or body are the usual suspects, but it could be anything and I have no way of knowing and certainly would not be giving advice without seeing the swing in question. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 6/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, cnosil said:

I’ve had fitters and pros recommend that wedges be at least 1* flatter than irons 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I am not worried about being off topic; we do that all the time in threads. MODS may hate us, but oh well emoji9.pngemoji2957.pngemoji16.png

Mike is really good. His stuff recently on Instagram with how the club hinges and elbow bends based on the position of the right hand is fascinating

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Sorry for this being off topic. 

If your lower body is loose on partial swings then it could be two things:

1. Moving your hip too soon in the backswing
  2. Straightening the back knee

1. Let your shoulder turn feel like it pulls your hips around instead of moving the hip early. The separation of the upper and lower body is a big part of effortless power

2. Try to keep a slight bend in the trail knee on the backswing. Straightening the knee gives up a lot of torque and changes the timing quite a bit. 

Some instructors believe the hips and trail shoulder start the swing including those who teach the pros

straightening the back leg is necessary for good hip rotation and how you get the trail hip higher than the lead hip. you will see the vast majority of pros straighten their back knee then increas the flex in it on the transition. Look at all the greats you will see this straightening and no it doesn’t give up torque

and the hips move first by recentering and turning while the shoulders remain closed. For someone who watches the Jack Nicklaus video you miss all these things in his swing

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

This guy has high level ams and some pros in his stable. You will see trail hip start back to start the swing, rear leg straighten, hips lead the downswing.

I’ve hear this guy is pretty good and he has the same moveS as the previous video

And a partial wedge shot with similar swing mechanics to a full swing

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I have a few on ignore and after reading some posts here, I remember why. In my experience, the reason fundamentals break down on 3/4 and 1/2 shots is much more mental than physical. Not trusting that your swing will produce the distance you need can cause a myriad of problems from decelerating to awkward movement with the lower body in an attempt to slow down a swing that actually needs acceleration. Armchair advice on a forum without proper training and seeing the swing in question is a recipe for disaster. As I said, usually more mental than physical and a deceleration with the club or body are the usual suspects, but it could be anything and I have no way of knowing and certainly would not be giving advice without seeing the swing in question. 

My ignore group has been and is still evolving into an esteemed collection of minds 😉

Think of it this way, would any of you walk up to someone at the driving range and just start giving swing tips?  I've never a 10+ handicap who should be giving lessons and swing advice.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/24/2020 at 12:27 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ve hear this guy is pretty good and he has the same moveS as the previous video

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

The point is you're giving unsolicited swing advice based on someone's perceived "feelings" about why they struggle with a certain type of shot. They should be booking a lesson with a qualified professional to get a true understanding of why they struggle with that shot because their feeling may not be what's really causing them to struggle. A qualified professional will help them understand it and remedy it. Unsolicited advice with no real information into why the player is actually struggling with a shot from someone who isn't a teaching professional will rarely ever result in a lasting result.

That video makes my point perfectly. He never, NEVER, completely straightens his trail leg. It is still slightly bent = exactly what I said. 
Straightening from address is not the same as straight. A slight bend is not straight. I did not say that the trail leg doesn't get closer to straight. I did not say to keep the same bend as address. I said keep a SLIGHT bend in the trail leg = avoid locking it out to completely straight. 
People are so quick to judge when they don't even read the complete context. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

We happen to have a teaching pro in this thread - were I to want a swing tip I'd PM him and ask if I could send a swing video.  But enough of that.

@ The OP, I've always heard that if you are going to tweak wedges they should be a degree or two flatter than your irons.  This would be especially the case if the shaft were longer.  However its worth asking if your issue is the head type on your wedge as well.  If the irons are GI's for example and the wedges are more blade like that could be the issue - it's a myriad of possible stuff.  Wedges are very important - depending on how you play you might use them as much as or more than your irons.  If you have an instructor you may wish to consult him and if you don't you may wish to find one in your area.

Good lock.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

That video makes my point perfectly. He never, NEVER, completely straightens his trail leg. It is still slightly bent = exactly what I said. 

Straightening from address is not the same as straight. A slight bend is not straight. I did not say that the trail leg doesn't get closer to straight. I did not say to keep the same bend as address. I said keep a SLIGHT bend in the trail leg = avoid locking it out to completely straight. 

People are so quick to judge when they don't even read the complete context. 

You mean locking the knee/leg and yes that isn’t going to do most people any good but every pro straightens the trail leg knee to an extent and the word straighten is used by every pro I’ve worked with. None of them have said lock the knee/leg. 

Regardless if the leg straightening verbiage everything else was incorrect in your post.

and this is why people are pointing out that getting advice form people on the internet that are teaching pros is a bad idea and why people are disagreeing with your statements because they are things that work for you or how you perceive them which is and will be different for every person 

5 hours ago, TimoTe said:

@cnosil I would disagree. What I described are basic fundamentals that apply to all able-bodied golfers. I challenge you to show me any elite golfer that does NOT do these two things? 

5 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I read and collect golf instruction books (I posted my latest pic of some of my books in the    ( https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14087-what-golf-books-are-you-reading/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-646804 ).

Several of your comments IMO would be good topics for further discussion in the MGS Lessons, Drills, etc area of this forum: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/forum/16-lessons-drills-mental-game-and-fitness-tips/ . 

Also regarding Mike Adams that was referenced by others, I agree he is very knowledgeable with how the body functions in a golf swing. One of my all time favorite instruction books is the The Laws of the Golf Swing in which Adams is one of the co-authors I believe.  . Really interesting stuff regarding ones body type and swing characteristics. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/24/2020 at 2:40 PM, revkev said:

We happen to have a teaching pro in this thread - were I to want a swing tip I'd PM him and ask if I could send a swing video.  But enough of that.

@ The OP, I've always heard that if you are going to tweak wedges they should be a degree or two flatter than your irons.  This would be especially the case if the shaft were longer.  However its worth asking if your issue is the head type on your wedge as well.  If the irons are GI's for example and the wedges are more blade like that could be the issue - it's a myriad of possible stuff.  Wedges are very important - depending on how you play you might use them as much as or more than your irons.  If you have an instructor you may wish to consult him and if you don't you may wish to find one in your area.

Good lock.

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete