Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Most Wanted Mallets

GolfSpy MPR

Any thoughts here on the 2020 MW mallets results posted today?

The most obviously odd thing is that the best and (almost the) worst putters were Odyssey Stroke Lab Two Ball Triple Track putters: one the traditional Two-Ball mallet, the other the Two-Ball blade. As a recent convert to a variation on this mallet (the R-Ball version), I can say it has definitely improved my ability to start my ball on my intended line.

I also need to get my Frontline Elevado on the course for at least a couple of rounds this season.

What stands out for you?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

What stands out for me is how differently each putter feels and rolls the ball. Design really influences how well a putter works or doesn’t work for a player.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It always fascinates me that the best and worst have such differences in “strokes gained”. If the putter is near the bottom, why is that? Why, say beyond aiming help, why was the 2-ball the “best”? I wish there was more to learn about the “why” of the results.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

What stands out for me is how differently each putter feels and rolls the ball. Design really influences how well a putter works or doesn’t work for a player.

Which one performed the best for you, or if you prefer, which one did you feel most comfortable with?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have stated in other forum threads how my investment in the TT #10/Odyssey has been one of my best in the last few years. My putting stats have improved so much. A life long blade junkie that use to game purely on looks/feel with putters. Just something about the TT lines and trusting my reads. My stroke per SAM putter fitting has confirmed path and angle of closure at impact is greatly improved vs the blade putters I preferred.

@PMookie  I always hope for the same thing in the written portion of MW.  Maybe they will write a more detailed piece later in the year?

I'm also curious as to the ER2 performing so well in the blade test versus the Evnroll mallets performing so poorly compared to the others.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

It always fascinates me that the best and worst have such differences in “strokes gained”. If the putter is near the bottom, why is that? Why, say beyond aiming help, why was the 2-ball the “best”? I wish there was more to learn about the “why” of the results.

The putter is my favorite club to experiment with and therefore I probably pay more attention to the putter tests compared to all the others.  I don't know all the fancy math that goes into the computations so I am speaking my own personal thoughts and feedback I have gotten from talking with Sam, Harry, and Phillip.   When you are actually comparing putters in this manner you really start to see and feel how different putters work with your stroke.  The human factor also really takes over when you miss a putt you start making adjustments.   This is part of the reason for human testing.   So based on strokes gained numbers you should get in the hole from 5' in 1.245 strokes, from 10' in 1.625 strokes, and 20' in 1.874 strokes.  We continue putting until we hole out.  Over the past several years I have had 1 3 putt each year with some putter;  from my discussions,  I understand others struggle a bit more and make quite a few 3 putts.  We report how many putts we make and how many 3 putts.  so you do a stroke gained number based on the groups results.  Roll these putters and you start to see how a putter performs.  Some putters I group to the left of the hole, some to the right, some long, some short, and some with all;  you do start to notice patterns.   I was talking about the mallet testing the other day and was told a story of about one tester that generally made 5 of the 5' putts with each putter,  but there was one putter than he made 2.  He tried the putter again after the test and had the same results.  Some putters just don't look right and are difficult to control and there usually are a couple that fit into this pattern.    With this test,  the key skills being checked are startline and speed control.  At the end of the day,  the two ball alignment and the speed off the putters face were consistent enough to make the most putts.   

While many people disagree,  when you putt with this many putters you see patters with each of the putters and how the design impacts how the putter feels in your hands.  Given enough time,  I could learn to putt with any of these putters,  but some just fit me better. 

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Which one performed the best for you, or if you prefer, which one did you feel most comfortable with?

I would have to ask Harry what my most wanted mallet was.  I will try to ask him tomorrow when I go back for iron testing.  Been a long time since I wrapped up testing so I didn't have an opportunity to play with some of the models.   Putters that stood out for me were the Sik,  Spider S,  Inovai, Operator, and Ten.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

When I was looking for a new putter, I tried everything our small golf shop had on their putting carpet.  I learned where the straight putt was on their green.  I could putt 3 balls with a putter and say "Nope".  Others were better, but still didn't feel well to me.  Eventually, over the course of several weeks I had narrowed down which 3 putters worked the best for me.  Every time I went into the store I tried those same 3 putters, and they all still worked for me.  Then it was a matter of which one to get.  

Funny story:  One of the putters was a TaylorMade OS Monte Carlo.  I liked it a lot.  I decided to buy it, so I went in and it was gone.  I was devastated!!  The next weekend I was playing with one of my buddies, and he had the Monte Carlo in his bag!!  So, I decided on the Ping Sigma G Doon which was my 2nd choice.  My wife and I were headed to Phoenix, so I put off buying the Ping and went to Ping HQ and was fitted for it.  I made 5 straight putts on their putting green, and they wouldn't let me take my normal practice strokes!   I'm glad I did; the one in the store was too long and had the wrong lie angle for my stroke. I could have learned to putt with it, but when I got home and ordered my club, I knew that I had made the right choice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Any thoughts here on the 2020 MW mallets results posted today?

The most obviously odd thing is that the best and (almost the) worst putters were Odyssey Stroke Lab Two Ball Triple Track putters: one the traditional Two-Ball mallet, the other the Two-Ball blade. As a recent convert to a variation on this mallet (the R-Ball version), I can say it has definitely improved my ability to start my ball on my intended line.

I also need to get my Frontline Elevado on the course for at least a couple of rounds this season.

What stands out for you?

The Triple Track two ball putter knocked my putter out of the bag that I have had for years. I flat out make more putts with that design of putter. Love the lines paired up with the ball. It is definitely like cheating for me inside of ten feet. As with all putters....your mileage may vary.   

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

The winning Putter loft is 1.3? 
In txg’s last video talks about model mallet moi is so high of the loft is high most players will create backskidding. Perhaps the lower loft in the mallet helped? It'll be interesting to test it.

this is said video 

Shows that the specs on the site don’t always match reality. While the odyssey was the lowest loft there were several at 2 or under and not all of them performed as well.

So Yes potentially it helped since loft is a component that influences speed. I say potentially because that lower loft could negatively impact golfers as well. Each golfer should be fitted for loft to ensure they achieve proper launch conditions.

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Shows that the specs on the site don’t always match reality. While the odyssey was the lowest loft there were several at 2 or under and not all of them performed as well.

So Yes potentially it helped since loft is a component that influences speed. I say potentially because that lower loft could negatively impact golfers as well. Each golfer should be fitted for loft to ensure they achieve proper launch conditions.

Listen to this man. He knows his stuff. My putter fitting Jan 2019 showed I needed loft of 1.2* based on my upward motion at impact. My putter fitting at the end of May 2020 showed I needed a putter loft of 0.6* loft. My positive AoA is getting higher so I need less loft. If I putted with something around 3*, that ball would skip a good ways before starting to roll and reek havoc on distance control. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Hmmm...  Decided years ago I cant put with anything other than a mallet so was very interested in this test.  Have tried the 2 ball putters on different occasions and just wasn't right for me, didn't like the way it set up.  The Mizuno M Craft looks interesting though.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I noticed there were no Toulon mallets tested. Was curious to see how the Las Vegas with stroke lab would hold up as i just got one on CPO.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 6/23/2020 at 3:37 PM, aerospace_ray said:

I have stated in other forum threads how my investment in the TT #10/Odyssey has been one of my best in the last few years. My putting stats have improved so much. A life long blade junkie that use to game purely on looks/feel with putters. Just something about the TT lines and trusting my reads. My stroke per SAM putter fitting has confirmed path and angle of closure at impact is greatly improved vs the blade putters I preferred.

Do you find yourself actively tracking your eyes on the TT lines during your stroke?  Ever used the Odyssey putters in conjunction with balls that also have the lines?

2 hours ago, wesmith4 said:

Do you find yourself actively tracking your eyes on the TT lines during your stroke?  Ever used the Odyssey putters in conjunction with balls that also have the lines?

Yes. Good questions. I do follow the TT lines with my eyes, does not cause my head to overly move. I do practice with my putting mirror that also has TT lines and occasionally with an ERC TT ball. I don't practice a lot with that ball as its not my preferred game ball and I don't want to get use to having to have the lines on the ball to putt. But for practice purposes I do like the TT ball.  

On 6/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, aerospace_ray said:

Yes. Good questions. I do follow the TT lines with my eyes, does not cause my head to overly move. I do practice with my putting mirror that also has TT lines and occasionally with an ERC TT ball. I don't practice a lot with that ball as its not my preferred game ball and I don't want to get use to having to have the lines on the ball to putt. But for practice purposes I do like the TT ball.  

I bought a ball stencil with 3 parallel lines on the ball as I don't play Callaway either. Use triple or single lines primarily for practice to see roll but have gamed it a few times this year. Occasionally will use the lines on the course for 5-8 footers if I have having trouble lining up to a blade of grass or something else in front of the ball. Otherwise I cant be bothered trying to perfectly align the ball to it's intended line when I am crouched behind it as I need to be 1-2 paces behind to see the line well. 

I found the Marxman and 2ball to be my favored TT putters followed by the Ten, the longer alignment lines really helped as well as being closest to equator of ball. 

I would be interested to see the loft measurements of TT 2 Balls in stores and see the variance from club to club. If it is 1-4 degrees, that is huge. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try putting an alignment "stripe" on my black TM Spider S. Going to start with a 1" white stripe with a red line to match up with my ball. If I like it I will paint it on permanently.

But in the course of looking for options I ran across this offering on ebay for a TT vinyl sticker. He has options for a white stripe (for coloured putters) or clear (for white putters or 2-ball). Seems like a cheap way to convert your existing mallet to TT (I'm assuming the superior performance of the Odyssey TT was mostly about the TT stripe vs that specific putter design).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233497245528?ul_noapp=true

Edited by Jim418

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 10:25 AM, Jim418 said:

I'm going to try putting an alignment "stripe" on my black TM Spider S. Going to start with a 1" white stripe with a red line to match up with my ball. If I like it I will paint it on permanently.

But in the course of looking for options I ran across this offering on ebay for a TT vinyl sticker. He has options for a white stripe (for coloured putters) or clear (for white putters or 2-ball). Seems like a cheap way to convert your existing mallet to TT (I'm assuming the superior performance of the Odyssey TT was mostly about the TT stripe vs that specific putter design).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233497245528?ul_noapp=true

So this is what I did. Really like the look of it.  I have the same single red line on my ball.

Only played 27 holes with it but they were my best rounds this year. Initially the line on the putter was distracting. Found I was looking at the putter and the ball which didn't work well once I took my backswing. But once I got into a routine of lining up the putter head with the ball, then focusing only on the ball when it was time to swing, it worked really well. If it continues, I'll remove the sticker and paint the line on.

spider on track.jpg

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

On 6/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Do you still want to hang on to that one even though it didnt perform very highly? I was just looking at that model as well as the Wilson Bucktown, but feel like I should go with wilson because of the performance. What do you think?

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK