TESTERS WANTED! ×

DIY Grip Reminder / Ribbing / Ridge

I saw a set of Lamkin REL ACE 3G with the reminder aka ribbing built in. I like that grip, but I’ve never tried the reminder grips so I thought I’d simulate it the old Ben Hogan way, by building up under the grip, before I bought anything.

Here’s how to do a semi professional job, without buying anything you don’t have laying around in your regripping station (we all have one right)?

1. Find some zip ties that are around 0.035” thickness (USGA states the max size for reminder ribs is .04”, w tape, you’ll be there)

2. Cut the zip ties to 1/2 short of your installed grip length (NOTE: if your not installing all grips to a measured install length you’re doing it wrong, IMHO).

IMG_2253.JPG

3. Apply 2 sided tape on the shaft, Mark with sharpie where the ridge will go, then lay the zip tie against the tape.

4. If you use air and reuse grips, cover the zip tie and 2 sided tape with masking tape/build up tape. If you install with solvent. Add another layer of 2 sided tape.

IMG_2252.JPG

5. Throw your grip on. You can see the slight ridge here.

IMG_2254.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

3 hours ago, Grit Golf said:

I saw a set of Lamkin REL ACE 3G with the reminder aka ribbing built in. I like that grip, but I’ve never tried the reminder grips so I thought I’d simulate it the old Ben Hogan way, by building up under the grip, before I bought anything.

Here’s how to do a semi professional job, without buying anything you don’t have laying around in your regripping station (we all have one right)?

1. Find some zip ties that are around 0.035” thickness (USGA states the max size for reminder ribs is .04”, w tape, you’ll be there)

2. Cut the zip ties to 1/2 short of your installed grip length (NOTE: if your not installing all grips to a measured install length you’re doing it wrong, IMHO).

IMG_2253.JPG

3. Apply 2 sided tape on the shaft, Mark with sharpie where the ridge will go, then lay the zip tie against the tape.

4. If you use air and reuse grips, cover the zip tie and 2 sided tape with masking tape/build up tape. If you install with solvent. Add another layer of 2 sided tape.

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2254.JPG

Good job. 

• 1 year later...

I use 1/16" aluminum welding rod for a rib. Much better than a piece of string, which goes flat after a few days of using the club. The aluminum is light enough to not effect the weight or swing weight of the club to make a difference. Some have posted that just use a rib grip and save the trouble. Problem is not all golfers like the small selection of rib grips on the market, and they cost MORE than round grips. And if you use a rib grip, you have to pay more for them every time you re-grip your clubs. By adding a rib to the shaft, it's a one time deal and you can save money on new grips when they get worn and you can use ANY grip you prefer, you are not limited to what is on the market.

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

When working for a golf retailer we would just 'build' a ridge in with tape. Was fairly straightforward and quick.

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

• 6 months later...

Nice clean solution. I like it. Will be re-gripping shortly so will use this hack. 

Cheers,

Nige
"A bad attitude is worse than a bad swing"
Driver:    Ping i25 9.5 dialled down to 9.0 
Wood:     Slazenger 3 wood
Hybrid:   Ping i25  17*
Irons:      Ping i25 4-SW stiff shaft Green dot (factory adjusted - I only live an hour away)
Wedge:   Cougar Tour Touch I 50*    
Wedge:   Cleveland RTX 588 58*
Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite THE "L" 
Balls:      Srixon Distance (based on personal testing - work best for my game)
Other:    Shot Scope - can't live without the data! 

I use these from Golfworks.  Stick directly to shaft and then tape over.  .035" thickness is close to but not exceeding USGA limit of .040"

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-grip-rib-pack/p/gw0017/

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

• 10 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 12:04 AM, Grit Golf said:

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2254.JPG

I have a question about the zip ties, I suppose of about 0.035 inch thickness? that is a 0.88mm converted to European standard, I have 10 different cable ties at home and all are thicker than 1mm or 0.0393, thinnest I have lying is 1.35mm or 0.053inch. In width are also different is around 5mm/0.196inch.  The cable ties I have at home are 1.35mm is that good or are they already too thick?

If my translation is right, you use 1st double-sided tape then the cable binder on it then painters tape? I blow my grips on it.

Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great idea for those wanting a rib on the grip. 

Golfworks is another resource for the same thing

go advice on the air install too.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.