DIY Grip Reminder / Ribbing / Ridge

Our Sponsors

I saw a set of Lamkin REL ACE 3G with the reminder aka ribbing built in. I like that grip, but I’ve never tried the reminder grips so I thought I’d simulate it the old Ben Hogan way, by building up under the grip, before I bought anything.

Here’s how to do a semi professional job, without buying anything you don’t have laying around in your regripping station (we all have one right)?

1. Find some zip ties that are around 0.035” thickness (USGA states the max size for reminder ribs is .04”, w tape, you’ll be there)

2. Cut the zip ties to 1/2 short of your installed grip length (NOTE: if your not installing all grips to a measured install length you’re doing it wrong, IMHO).

IMG_2253.JPG

3. Apply 2 sided tape on the shaft, Mark with sharpie where the ridge will go, then lay the zip tie against the tape.

4. If you use air and reuse grips, cover the zip tie and 2 sided tape with masking tape/build up tape. If you install with solvent. Add another layer of 2 sided tape.

IMG_2252.JPG

5. Throw your grip on. You can see the slight ridge here.

IMG_2254.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

3 hours ago, Grit Golf said:

I saw a set of Lamkin REL ACE 3G with the reminder aka ribbing built in. I like that grip, but I’ve never tried the reminder grips so I thought I’d simulate it the old Ben Hogan way, by building up under the grip, before I bought anything.

Here’s how to do a semi professional job, without buying anything you don’t have laying around in your regripping station (we all have one right)?

1. Find some zip ties that are around 0.035” thickness (USGA states the max size for reminder ribs is .04”, w tape, you’ll be there)

2. Cut the zip ties to 1/2 short of your installed grip length (NOTE: if your not installing all grips to a measured install length you’re doing it wrong, IMHO).

IMG_2253.JPG

3. Apply 2 sided tape on the shaft, Mark with sharpie where the ridge will go, then lay the zip tie against the tape.

4. If you use air and reuse grips, cover the zip tie and 2 sided tape with masking tape/build up tape. If you install with solvent. Add another layer of 2 sided tape.

IMG_2252.JPG

5. Throw your grip on. You can see the slight ridge here.

IMG_2254.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Good job.