TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter fitting for LH Player

lxa1023

I live in Birmingham, AL, and am wanting to get fitted for a putter. The problem all lefties have is finding a place that has ample selection so you can test a good variety of putters. Has anyone gone to anyplace around here and enjoyed the process? What stores would you suggest? Thanks.

12 handicap... scratch personality

I live in Birmingham, AL, and am wanting to get fitted for a putter. The problem all lefties have is finding a place that has ample selection so you can test a good variety of putters. Has anyone gone to anyplace around here and enjoyed the process? What stores would you suggest? Thanks.

Welcome to golf as a lefty. I haven't found a big selection at any big box store. On the other hand I haven't gone to an independent fitter for putting.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have tried 2 different putter fittings, both were somewhat disappointing as a leftie. The first one I did was at Club Champion. They had about 10 putters for lefties. The second was at a True Spec and they only had 6 putters for lefties. Both times I learned a bit about my stroke, but didn't buy any putters they had there. CC used SAM puttlab and True Spec used a combo of CAPTO and Trackman. Would love to find a place that actually has decent options for lefties. 

I almost feel as the only way to get a decent selection is to go to a manufacturers complex like Scotty Cameron in San Diego and have them custom fit you just to be able to get all their options, or whichever brand you prefer, but that jumps the price considerably, I know for Cameron it's like $1500.

12 handicap... scratch personality

Until club manufacturers setup their putter demos like PXG (easy to change out grip, shaft hosel and head shape), us lefties will be limited on trying out putters in a shop. It's very frustrating, but PGA SS has about the best selection I've seen. Golfsmith used to be the best towards lefties, then Golf Galaxy took over and greatly reduced the LH inventory in stores. 

What type of putter did your fitting suggest? 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

3 hours ago, lxa1023 said:

I almost feel as the only way to get a decent selection is to go to a manufacturers complex like Scotty Cameron in San Diego and have them custom fit you just to be able to get all their options, or whichever brand you prefer, but that jumps the price considerably, I know for Cameron it's like $1500.

My first one at CC a couple years ago recommended a mallot with a small amount of toe hang. At true spec this year he recommended a blade with a plumbers neck with about 45* toe hang. The mallot i brought into true spec had me aimed 1.8* left. The straight edges on the blade got me to .7. I found that really interesting. The fitter said a mallot with a rounded back helps lefties aim left, the blade with straight edges helps lefties aim right. I like the look of the wide blade like the Scotty square back so I set out on a mission to find a wide blade with a plumbers neck. Turns out that is really difficult to find for lefties. The only one I found was the PXG closer so I ordered it and it should be here soon. 

I did look into PXG fittings with their mobile fitting van, but there weren't any near me in the near future. They were priced right at $50 though. I didn't want to wait for a fitting with them since their price discount ends at the end of June.