Guest Delete

Delete

Our Sponsors

If I am playing with my wife, I want her to play well. We tend to mimic each other and feed off of the competitive energy in trying to match each other shot for shot.

If I am playing with my friends, I want them to play well, but also do dumb stuff so we can laugh at each other.

If I am playing in my golf league, I want them to play well enough to push me, but not too well to where I can't win.

If I am playing with strangers, I just want them to be like what @DaveP043 described. Enjoy the round, keep pace, and take care of the course.

• Like 3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH - Aldila Synergy Blue 50 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Pretty much the same as everyone else, I want everyone in the group to play well, sometimes you feed off each other and it makes for a more enjoyable round.  When I play poorly, like last week for example, I try my best to not let it show outwardly, I don't throw clubs, I don't sit and pout.  I will instead try to laugh at myself or make a sarcastic remark about the shot, to keep others from thinking they have to be quiet or can't talk to me.

The only time, I was made to feel even a bit bad about playing poorly, I was paired up with two other guys I didn't know.  They were both probably 5 or less handicaps, I was near a 20 at time.  I'm always mindful of pace of play and will not hold up a group.   But around the 7th or 8th hole one of the guys said to me as we walked off the green, "How can you possibly be enjoying playing this badly.  I think I would quit.  I give you credit man"     I just said to him, "I don't enjoy playing poorly, but I do enjoy playing"  I don't let my score dictate my attitude.

He just looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.  We didn't talk much after that.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I guess I do care how my playing partners play from an etiquette perspective. The things I really care about from them is fixing divots, ball marks, pace of play and common courtesy. I attempt to follow basic etiquette and expect the same in return.

Regarding how they are playing in their round, I can't control their shots, selection (caveat a scramble tournament). But I can control how I act and respond to their actions. Over the years I have gotten more "picky" with whom I play with. Years ago I would play with anyone. Not so much these days.

• Like 3

My initial response was that I really don't care one way or the other as I am typically so engrossed in what I have going on that I usually only have a general sense of how things are going with everyone else. After reading all the other responses, I changed my mind and I want them to play well just so the attitude in our group remains positive. I usually do pretty well at maintaining a positive attitude and want others to do so, too.

• Like 2

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

I usually play with my friends and my wife. But when we get paired up with a random 4th person, 9/10 they are always very nice, and if they are really good, they are patient with us and teach us a lot of things which is cool. If they are not nice (which is rarely) they just keep to themselves anyway. But my partners are having an off day and tend to give up a lot then that can annoy me. You have to always approach the game that your next shot could be the perfect shot, not matter how bad you are playing that day. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 Driver
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash
4 Hybrid: :callaway-small: Epic Flash
Irons: 
:callaway-small: 3-PW Rogue 
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50, 56, 60
Putter:  :titelist-small: :cameron-small: California Fastback 35" w Red Cord Dancing SC Grip
Bag: :nike-small: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag
Ball:
:bridgestone-small: e12 soft

Still learning. Love the art of putting.

Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 10:11 AM, Nateyeight said:

You have to always approach the game that your next shot could be the perfect shot, not matter how bad you are playing that day. 

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

I tend to play better when my partners are at least playing decent. If they are really struggling and getting frustrated it's distracting and then I play worse as well.

My real playing partner is always the course. I want to be as close possible to it....

Thus said, I can get badly affected from playing with obnoxious ‘second ball’ reverse handicap players... there is something in it that really annoys me.

Viceversa my game step up when playing with good ones.

🙂

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 7:58 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Pretty much the same as everyone else, I want everyone in the group to play well, sometimes you feed off each other and it makes for a more enjoyable round.  When I play poorly, like last week for example, I try my best to not let it show outwardly, I don't throw clubs, I don't sit and pout.  I will instead try to laugh at myself or make a sarcastic remark about the shot, to keep others from thinking they have to be quiet or can't talk to me.

The only time, I was made to feel even a bit bad about playing poorly, I was paired up with two other guys I didn't know.  They were both probably 5 or less handicaps, I was near a 20 at time.  I'm always mindful of pace of play and will not hold up a group.   But around the 7th or 8th hole one of the guys said to me as we walked off the green, "How can you possibly be enjoying playing this badly.  I think I would quit.  I give you credit man"     I just said to him, "I don't enjoy playing poorly, but I do enjoy playing"  I don't let my score dictate my attitude.

He just looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.  We didn't talk much after that.

Delete 

Edited by Delete
Delete

I genuinely don't care how my partners play. Everyone is a different handicap or level. All I care about is that they treat the course with respect and they're good company. 

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, Wondergiulio said:

My real playing partner is always the course. I want to be as close possible to it....

Thus said, I can get badly affected from playing with obnoxious ‘second ball’ reverse handicap players... there is something in it that really annoys me.

Viceversa my game step up when playing with good ones.

🙂

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, aerospace_ray said:

I guess I do care how my playing partners play from an etiquette perspective. The things I really care about from them is fixing divots, ball marks, pace of play and common courtesy. I attempt to follow basic etiquette and expect the same in return.

Regarding how they are playing in their round, I can't control their shots, selection (caveat a scramble tournament). But I can control how I act and respond to their actions. Over the years I have gotten more "picky" with whom I play with. Years ago I would play with anyone. Not so much these days.

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

2 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Second ball, Mulligan lover, foot wedge, cheaters - oh, they have those on your course too? WTH!!!

Haha

Seriously though, can you explain "reverse handicapper" to me? That's the first time I heard that one. 

The reverse sandbagger that instead of inflating the handicap to have an advantage, he deflate it so they can claim to be single digit

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 8:54 PM, Wondergiulio said:

The reverse sandbagger that instead of inflating the handicap to have an advantage, he deflate it so they can claim to be single digit

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

23 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You handled that much more delicately than I imagine I would have in that situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

I should also say I know what being the bad partner is like and how badly that effects everyone in the group. I had a short temper as a teenager/early 20s.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 3

I don't care how they play. I generally prefer to play with people that are at least somewhat at my level, but I really like playing with much better players than myself.... it keeps me "thinking" and focused. I don't mind playing with people that are not accomplished at the game or just out for a good time.... I just hate when they want advice and lessons that I am in no way qualified to give...lol.

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

You handled that much more delicately than I imagine I would have in that situation.

Yeah, I think I was in too much shock of what he said, to say or do what a couple hours later occurred to me I should have said....ha

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I play on a muni near my house most often, so there are a lot of beginners which is fine. The only thing I care about is when you play with people who are clueless about pace of play. I got paired with 3 ladies who hit 2 tee balls on nearly every hole, unless they happened to hit their first shot well. By the 3rd hole, we were already 1 full hole behind of the group in front. Luckily it was only for 9 holes but it took 2.5 hours on what is essentially an executive course. 

The biggest frustration comes from feeling rushed to try and keep up, avoid having the marshall come by about pace or holding up people behind. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

I want everyone I play with to play well.  And, I want to beat their a$$es.  I'm just a little too competitive for my own good I guess, but I do think I sometimes play to the level of whomever I am playing with.

For example, my main playing partner here is a teaching pro at a local course (and a Big Break Disney contestant, the season Tony Finau won).  He's very good, and i always play better just trying to keep pace on the scorecard with him.

However, every Saturday morning I play the base course in a weekly team competition (random teams each week) that uses a modified Stableford scoring system that really rewards aggressive play.  The group is mostly Colonels and Generals, some retired some active, and I'm the junior guy in age and rank (I'm a Lieutenant Colonel) but most days I'm one of the better players.  I almost never have my better rounds in that group, and i'm often paired with 20-something handicaps that play from the senior tees.  I enjoy playing with them (I am NOT complaining about playing with a 20 by any means), I'm just making the point that the level of play around me impacts me a bit, maybe too much.

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed: