TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unofficial Review - Under Armour HOVR Match Play Shoes

GolfSpy AFG

Having recently picked up a pair of these, and with 3 rounds on them now (1 riding 18, 1 walking 9, and 1 walking 18), I was inspired to post a write-up of these because I am really really impressed with this shoe.

Up front disclaimer:  I'm a UA fan in a big way.  My golf wardrobe is about 60% UA polos, shorts, pants, outerwear, etc., and I already owned a black pair of Spieth 2's and a white pair of Spieth 3's. ( I also owned the original Spieth 1's.)  I've liked them all, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I wanted to like them.  

For the previous iteration of Spieth shoes, I've read and acknowledge the knock on them from many that they seem to run narrow and are too damn tight if your foot isn't narrow enough for them.  My foot is narrow enough, but I can see the point...all my Spieth's are snug right out of the box, prior to lacing them up.  And, some have complained about heel slippage or the heel actually ripping, which I did experience to a minor degree with the Spieth 1's.  

All that being said, I'm really impressed with the HOVR Match Play's and it seems to me that UA is really improving their products.

Aesthetics/Appeareance: 4 out of 5.  I really like the look of this shoe, but can understand they may not be for everybody.  Overall they are pretty sedated, but there are a few sprinklings of a neon orange color consistent with the color of the spikes that add a bit of character to it, but could be off-putting to others.  The reason I didn't give it a full five stars is the existence of an odd looking "cut-out" shape over the big toe that seems to serve no useful purpose and just kind of distracts from an otherwise clean toe box.

Fit:  5 out of 5. I wear a 9.5 in a UA or a FJ, and a 10 in a Nike.  These are 9.5 fit perfectly, but without the narrowness of previous Spieth shoes.  MGS just rated these highly but stated that a "CON" or negative is that you had to lace these tightly to achieve the stability the shoe offers.  They're right, although I wouldn't necessarily call it a negative.  Personally, I want a snug shoe, and you don't have to go full cut-off-your-circulation tight to get rid of any excess play in the shoe.  Just snug.  

Comfort:  5 out of 5.  I was a bit concerned at first on this, because on the outer half of the heel area there seems to be a bar or ridge in the shoe that you normally wouldn't expect.  However, 5 minutes after lacing them up, and as soon as I started playing, I didn't notice that ridge at all.  After 18, my feet were as comfortable as they've ever been while walking 18.  (Remember the context though of the other shoes I own...I have no comparison to Ecco's, Adidas, etc.)

Stability:  5 out of 5.  To me this is where previous UA shoes have shined, and this one is no different.  If you're familiar with the spike pattern, there is a different kind of spike strategically placed to help fight excessive roll, and to me it seems to work.  Overall I felt no sliding or slipping, and I can honestly say I felt the most grounded I have in a shoe.  I definitely felt like I was gripping the ground, which is a serious confidence boost.

Durability:  ?  After 3 rounds I obviously can't speak to durability.  However, regarding the heel slipping and ripping, the last posted picture is of the heel from my Spieth 2's.  if you compare to HOVR Match Play it seems apparent to me that UA is taking steps to address the issue.  (Granted, not an apples to apples comparison.)

Hope this brief review helps if anyone was considering these.  Make sure to check out the MGS review of spiked 2020 shoes, which rated these shoes highly along with some others from UA.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

Pic 7.jpg

Pic 8.jpg

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

• 2 weeks later...

These shoes are so comfortable. I feel like the grip could be a little better but overall great shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the write up. Looking for my next pair and now these are on a short list. Great review!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

On 11/26/2020 at 8:05 AM, Boxley4683 said:

I've just bought a pair of these exact shoes but the grey colour has just started to peel away and I haven't even worn them yet! Have you had any issues like this? 

Sorry, just saw this.  No, I definitely haven't!  Do you have a means to return them, or gripe to UA?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1: