Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Advice needed

Hi from the UK ,

When helping my neighbour move house last year we found some old golf clubs in the garage of his new house ,he`s not interest in golf i tried playing many years ago but it was an epic fail . I bought the golf clubs home and cleaned them and put some grips on the irons and 3 wood  there wasnt a putter so i bought one from the local charity shop for £3

I dont have a lot of spare time so i went to my local par 3 course when i could, now im thinking of trying again ,i dont know any golfer now  so i went to my local club for advice ,it was a waste of time unless i became a member for in excess of 5k

anyone got any advice

5K sounds like a private club. Do you have any public courses? They should have some beginner course where you are grouped up with a bunch of newcomers and start from scratch with the basics. In Germany those 2 hour courses go for about EUR 20-30. And if you take the whole beginner course, it runs for about EUR 200 for 2 months and you will learn all basics and meet new people who are at the same level.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

37 minutes ago, kingfive said:

Hi from the UK ,

When helping my neighbour move house last year we found some old golf clubs in the garage of his new house ,he`s not interest in golf i tried playing many years ago but it was an epic fail . I bought the golf clubs home and cleaned them and put some grips on the irons and 3 wood  there wasnt a putter so i bought one from the local charity shop for £3

I dont have a lot of spare time so i went to my local par 3 course when i could, now im thinking of trying again ,i dont know any golfer now  so i went to my local club for advice ,it was a waste of time unless i became a member for in excess of 5k

anyone got any advice

Are you looking on advice for where to get lessons, where to play, or how to start learning?

If you don’t have a lot of spare time, the easiest skill to master that translates to everything in the game is learning the swing from hip high to hip high. Lots of great YouTube content out there. Build a grip and a stance and put a short tee in the ground so the ball is just above the grass. Make little swings hip high to hip high just trying to meet the ball on a gentle arc with the middle of the face. See if you can purposefully hit the toe and the heel and practice those for face awareness. Pay attention to the curve of the ball. You shouldn’t be concerned with distance, even if it goes 10 yards that’s great. As you get comfortable hitting the center of the face you can swing a bit faster and take the club back further. 

If you want to play, then don’t worry about the tee boxes or par or playing by the rules. Start close enough to the green so that you can get there “in regulation” so if your hip to hip 3 wood goes 60 yards, tee off no further than 120 yards on a par 4 and 180 on a par 5. Tee the ball up on every shot so it’s just above the ground and try to clip it towards your target. Once you are comfortable with taking more full swings and can hit it further distances move back to the tee boxes appropriately and start playing the ball on the ground. 

Golf is definitely a buildup approach, and I think too many players want to look like the pros to early. Work on the basics first, be forgiving to yourself on the lie, and add skills as you go. You’ll have more fun that way IMO. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

@kingfive To be very honest, most of us here probably play on their local municipal courses. 5K is a lot of money to drop into a club membership to start your golf life.

I would look at somewhere near you that you can play for a reasonable fee, I played this morning, my buddy payed 34 US dollars for 18 with a cart, I payed 23 US dollars for walking. 

Here in the US a good municipal course should run less than 40 US dollars for 18 in a week day, and 50 to 60 US dollars at the most in the weekends.

This game is great and addictive, when you are just starting, it seems harder, because you do not know anyone who also plays and who would go out with you.

I hope you have fun out there.

There is an thread here to arrange a game with other spies, take a look to see if you can find anyone near by that can get you some local advise of where to play.

Edited by SnakeDoc

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Hi @kingfive, and welcome.

I am in UK too (East Midlands).  Location will obviously be a factor, but there are several decent places around me where you can pay and play at reasonable prices, starting at around £8 for 9 holes, (the current virus situation may affect tee time availability of course) and memberships are available at way way less than 5k (full membership at my club is about 1k), and most clubs will offer different membership levels at various price points so it is well worth shopping around.  Also, most club pros will offer lesson packages to suit whatever you want too, so search your local area for courses and driving ranges and see what's on offer.

I am guessing that things are similar to what they are here downunder. We have a number of public courses within 15-30 minutes drive and they vary in price from $32-50 for 18 holes on the weekend.

All of them have a Club linked to the course. so if you want to you can pay a club membership which costs around $200 that provides you with a R & A/PGA handicap that then allows you, if you would like to, to play in competitions. You then also have to pay normal green fees per round. Generally the courses are not in as good of condition as Private Clubs but so be be it. Box Hill GC is private and it is just under 3K a year with an additional joining fee of 4K. Unless you plan to play 2-3 times a week it makes a round of golf expensive. Creekside GC which is linked to Morack Public is $180 per year plus $32 per round.

Also, most public courses will also have a Pro Shop that offers lessons etc. Alternatively most of the Golf shops here have Trackman and offer lessons.

And get some lessons as it makes progressing much easier and the round much more enjoyable. It will usually take 4-5 to get the basics.

Edited by Firebird
grammer

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Thanks guys for the info. i`ve been searching the web ,found some good online help on you tube , i knows it better face to face but its a start .

so its off to sort some clubs out soon,  the onesi found are ok ............just ...........so budget is set with a little variation built in

Thanks again progress report to follow