TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Honma TR20 driver

22 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I wasn't able to get to a course yesterday so I had to settle for a range session.  I took my time working from the bottom of the bag up, wedges and even irons, hit three drives with my gamer, and then unveiled the TR20.  My first drive was a little low on the face but dead straight and long.  From there I hit maybe 25 drives and, without the benefit of a launch monitor, I can share some initial impressions:

1) This is definitely longer than my gamer.  How much, not sure yet, but this club gets it out there for sure.  The ball seems to really jump off the face.

2)  I've got a little bit of dialing in to do.  My normal ball has been straight or a slight bit of draw; last night I was hitting the occasional straight ball and a lot of pushes to the right.  My gamer was set up a degree closed and set to a draw bias, whereas I took this to a range in the stock setting, with the heaviest movable weight back for max MOI.  This morning I closed it down a degree and will see how that does tomorrow when I actually play it for 18.  I don't intend to move the weight to a draw bias unless tomorrow's round suggests I need to.  That said, the weight port in the heel is still actually pretty far back, as you can see, so I suspect any MOI loss would be minimal.   

IMG_3943.jpg.050e22b74bb7eb609ff9616e0b3fd087.jpg

Regarding that loft/lie adjustment, I'll post about that later, but much has been made of how different their system is.  It is, but it's not rocket science...simple enough, and still like the aesthetic benefits of the smaller adapter.

Overall, I'm liking this club a lot.  The sound and feel are fantastic...but does it perform?  Gaming it for the first time tomorrow!  Can't wait to answer "What's a Honma?" ten times...

Loving these updates! Keep us posted after your round

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

27 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I wasn't able to get to a course yesterday so I had to settle for a range session.  I took my time working from the bottom of the bag up, wedges and even irons, hit three drives with my gamer, and then unveiled the TR20.  My first drive was a little low on the face but dead straight and long.  From there I hit maybe 25 drives and, without the benefit of a launch monitor, I can share some initial impressions:

1) This is definitely longer than my gamer.  How much, not sure yet, but this club gets it out there for sure.  The ball seems to really jump off the face.

2)  I've got a little bit of dialing in to do.  My normal ball has been straight or a slight bit of draw; last night I was hitting the occasional straight ball and a lot of pushes to the right.  My gamer was set up a degree closed and set to a draw bias, whereas I took this to a range in the stock setting, with the heaviest movable weight back for max MOI.  This morning I closed it down a degree and will see how that does tomorrow when I actually play it for 18.  I don't intend to move the weight to a draw bias unless tomorrow's round suggests I need to.  That said, the weight port in the heel is still actually pretty far back, as you can see, so I suspect any MOI loss would be minimal.   

Regarding that loft/lie adjustment, I'll post about that later, but much has been made of how different their system is.  It is, but it's not rocket science...simple enough, and still like the aesthetic benefits of the smaller adapter.

Overall, I'm liking this club a lot.  The sound and feel are fantastic...but does it perform?  Gaming it for the first time tomorrow!  Can't wait to answer "What's a Honma?" ten times...

Can't wait to see how well it performs compared to your current gamer. What are you using to track you distances on the course?

Just now, Tpoole22 said:

Can't wait to see how well it performs compared to your current gamer. What are you using to track you distances on the course?

Old school manual style.  I posted earlier in this thread a record I maintained at my home course across three rounds with my gamer; I'll do that again with the Honma.  Measured each drive via Bushnell Pro X2. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

On 7/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, mikeanthony said:

Absolutely love my TS2 and opted against the Honma review ... didn’t want to put any type of jinx on it. 

Both excited and curious to see your feedback. 

TS3 has been a good club for me as well. Had a couple records long drives since it was put in the bag. Excited to start giving the Honma a run and see if it has any performance benefits over the TS3. First rounds on the course should be in the next few days as I prep for my next event

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Had a disappointing showing at the Oregon Open this week. Course was playing very firm and fast but had 3 tee balls cost me 8 shots. Still hitting my gamer well but a great opportunity to find out about the possible performance gains to be had with the TR20. 

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

On 7/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Try the heavy weight in the front.  I am testing the TR20, and, for me, the heavy weight in the back seem to cause the club head to twist open on some shots - high, right and short.

4 hours ago, bellken said:

Try the heavy weight in the front.  I am testing the TR20, and, for me, the heavy weight in the back seem to cause the club head to twist open on some shots - high, right and short.

Thanks; maybe.  I think I'm going to move it to the draw bias setting, but I don't know about putting it forward.  I tend to need spin and that's the lowest spin setting.  I'll certainly give all the configurations a try when I do the GolFTEC fitting session August 1st.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

18 hours ago, bellken said:

I had mine defaulted to the heavy weight in front and I don't think I'll change. Loving the way it's hitting so far.  My shots so far have been mostly draws and I don't think I've missed anything right through 27 holes.  I've had a few that have drawn too much, but still getting the feel of it.

Hoping to get on a launch monitor this week with both the TR20 and my old driver to compare.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

12 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I'm shamelessly double-dipping on the post count, having just posted this card in the "How Did You Play" thread, but it's useful to post here too...

910120940_WillowLakes18Jul.png.6332d9c3c688f3d15bff314fa7790bf8.png

Not a very good day for me.  But, as far as the TR20 is concerned, I'm already impressed and am feeling very good about this driver.  Still some tweaks to do but I'll get to that.

First, 40% FIR is a bit misleading.  For starters, my missed fairways were by a yard or two, not 10 or 20 yards.  I never once hit a big miss that had me drastically out of position, and on a few cases I maybe should have been...toed contact that I would have expected to have penalized more than it was.  Second, this course has several sharp doglegs and the only reason I missed the fairway was because I didn't take an aggressive enough line and I ran out of real estate. I won't spill the beans on updating my spreadsheet yet, but I hit a couple drives in the 290ish area that I hadn't sniffed in my gamer.  This thing is long when you center it.

That said, I am going to tinker a little more.  I missed left 4 times and I almost never do that, so I'm going to but it back closer to standard loft/lie and move the weighting to a draw bias set up and see what that does.  Closing the face as much as I did may have been a little too much correction for me.  I've got a driver fitting appointment with my GolfTEC coach on August 1st, wherein we'll play with the weights and see what effect they have, but for now it's all experimenting.

So far, very very impressed with this club.  I got quite a few compliments on the sound and appearance of it.  

For me, unless I'm playing somewhere with Open rough, If my ball is generally where I want it within the trees and not way outside the fairway, that still gives me a good shot into the green, I count it as a fairway.  Also, there are a few holes where my target might be another fairway, so I count it if I hit that.  I ran out of real-estate a few times my last round, but Would put my FIR at closer to 65%-70 than 40%

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

Got my first few on course shots in yesterday with the TR20 after work. If the very early returns are indicative of the consistent performance then we have a knuckleball machine on hand.

IMG_0882.JPG

By the way this was into the wind and with zero warm up

12 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

Got my first few on course shots in yesterday with the TR20 after work. If the very early returns are indicative of the consistent performance then we have a knuckleball machine on hand.

IMG_0882.JPG

By the way this was into the wind and with zero warm up emoji102.png

Do you find it to be lower spinning that your TS3 to this point?  nice shot!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

26 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I don't know about the TS3, but my shots into a good 10-15mph wind last week went 290-310.  I think @DPattGolfand I have the same setup/shaft but agree that so far it is very low spin and good into the wind.  Planning on a simulator this week w/ old and new driver to compare.

11 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Too early to definitively tell but it would seem that way. Hoping to get on GCQuad Wednesday or Thursday

Yeah, as a player who needs spin that has me a little concerned.  I am heading out for a sort of social practice round with the wife and another couple and I was going to move the heavy weight to the heel, but I'm nervous about giving up spin if I move it out of the max MOI setting.  So, I opened the face angle back up a little, but it's still a bit closed...we'll see.

IMG_3960.jpg.bfc8a363c22c471113622c6beb778eb2.jpg

I have to admit, this is the nuance of testing that has me the most anxious, I really don't want to corrupt the value of testing and offer bad insights to the MGS community when my results could be more a question of bad swings than anything else...the old overused "indian vs the arrow" conundrum  That said, if you subscribe to the notion that golf is a game of misses (and I do) then how a club treats you when you're not striping it is just as valuable to know.

Here's hoping for stripe show today though!  Haven't played with my wife all year...got to impress the lady...

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, as a player who needs spin that has me a little concerned.  I am heading out for a sort of social practice round with the wife and another couple and I was going to move the heavy weight to the heel, but I'm nervous about giving up spin if I move it out of the max MOI setting.  So, I opened the face angle back up a little, but it's still a bit closed...we'll see.

I have to admit, this is the nuance of testing that has me the most anxious, I really don't want to corrupt the value of testing and offer bad insights to the MGS community when my results could be more a question of bad swings than anything else...the old overused "indian vs the arrow" conundrum  That said, if you subscribe to the notion that golf is a game of misses (and I do) then how a club treats you when you're not striping it is just as valuable to know.

Here's hoping for stripe show today though!  Haven't played with my wife all year...got to impress the lady...

good luck out there! I know what you mean, but there's nothing wrong if you come out of it any say that the club didn't fit your swing, or it didn't help on days where you're swing was off.  That's the invaluable stuff we come here for! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

31 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

good luck out there! I know what you mean, but there's nothing wrong if you come out of it any say that the club didn't fit your swing, or it didn't help on days where you're swing was off.  That's the invaluable stuff we come here for! 

Yeah, I get it, I know MSG doesn't expect everyone to swing like Adam Scott to be a tester. I just want to put out reliable information.

It doesn't help when @golfingbrock and @DPattGolf are casually pumping out 300+ yard drives and you realize you're the short one in the group!  😬  

10 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Well for reference my build is setup to be very low spin. Head is 8.5* with the 9 gram weight forward and a 70 gram low launch extra stiff shaft tipped 1".

25 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, I get it, I know MSG doesn't expect everyone to swing like Adam Scott to be a tester. I just want to put out reliable information.

It doesn't help when @golfingbrock and @DPattGolf are casually pumping out 300+ yard drives and you realize you're the short one in the group!  😬  

Hey I'm just a little guy at 5'7". 🤣

1 hour ago, DPattGolf said:

Well for reference my build is setup to be very low spin. Head is 8.5* with the 9 gram weight forward and a 70 gram low launch extra stiff shaft tipped 1".

Mine is built the same but not tipped.  I got to hit some balls on the simulator at lunch today. My shoulder is still a bit stiff but I got a few out there aways.  Only had a few swing speeds in the 115 range, and most were 105-110, but I will say it is a few yards longer than my game, and consistently pretty straight.  Will do some more testing in the next few weeks and see if any adjustments need to be made

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

This is the exact reason we try to get a good mix of player ability and swing speeds in each testing.  it wouldn't help the overall forum if we had 4 testers all with 110 plus swing speeds or 4 scratch players.    By having a variety most people on the forum can find one player that is similar to their profile and follow his/hers results. 

BTW, I think 90% or more of the forum would take an 80 any day of the week and run! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This is the exact reason we try to get a good mix of player ability and swing speeds in each testing.  it wouldn't help the overall forum if we had 4 testers all with 110 plus swing speeds or 4 scratch players.    By having a variety most people on the forum can find one player that is similar to their profile and follow his/hers results. 

BTW, I think 90% or more of the forum would take an 80 any day of the week and run! 

Good point; appreciate the feedback.

My social practice 9 holes turned into 18 yesterday.  I played halfway decent given no warm up and a general feeling of not wanting to get too intense or immersed in the round for the sake of the rest of the group, who are mostly non-golfers who were there for the drinks.  I spent less time reading putts, made some very quick club selections, etc.  

That said, I drove it VERY well...11 of 14 fairways hit, and with several drives in the high 280s/low 290s.  After my very first drive missed right I made the decision right there to move the heavy weight to the heel and never looked back.

I had hoped to have a few video files to post here, but my cameraman (wife) didn't seem to track my intent and instead started capturing the group, surrounding scenery, etc.  I'll do better on that the next time...

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

My social practice 9 holes turned into 18 yesterday.  I played halfway decent given no warm up and a general feeling of not wanting to get too intense or immersed in the round for the sake of the rest of the group, who are mostly non-golfers who were there for the drinks.  I spent less time reading putts, made some very quick club selections, etc.  

That said, I drove it VERY well...11 of 14 fairways hit, and with several drives in the high 280s/low 290s.  After my very first drive missed right I made the decision right there to move the heavy weight to the heel and never looked back.

I had hoped to have a few video files to post here, but my cameraman (wife) didn't seem to track my intent and instead started capturing the group, surrounding scenery, etc.  I'll do better on that the next time...

So, one of the videos caught the sound of the driver pretty well, with some mildly amusing comments from the gallery...

4 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So, one of the videos caught the sound of the driver pretty well, with some mildly amusing comments from the gallery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDa_rf1fvr4&feature=youtu.be

Video is currently private 🙄

3 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Video is currently private 🙄

Doh!

Shouldn't be anymore; try again.  (Wonder if that's why I couldn't get the video to show up in the thread, just the link?)

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Doh!

Shouldn't be anymore; try again.  (Wonder if that's why I couldn't get the video to show up in the thread, just the link?)

nice.  sounds like you got all of that one! haha

that's an awesome looking tee box, where is that?

Just now, B.Boston said:

nice.  sounds like you got all of that one! haha

that's an awesome looking tee box, where is that?

Shoreline Golf Course in Council Bluffs, Iowa, but right on the edge of the Nebraska-Iowa border.

That's the 14th tee box, this is the view from the 13th tee box...

IMG_3962.jpg.e9e7888bc0bf39227f5fda3783a35770.jpg

This is actually from the ladies tee when my wife was teeing off, but you get the idea.  Fun tee shot from the tips, all about how aggressive a line you want to take.  I hit a good one here too...had 65 yards in.

26 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDa_rf1fvr4&feature=youtu.be

This club definitely impresses the ladies

26 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

"Oh My Gosh!"  pretty much nails it.  LOL

That swing looks to have a bit of Brooks Keopka in it!  Nice job!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12