TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Honma TR20 driver

Welcome Preston....Glad to have you active here on the thread and forum.  I'm enjoying reading about the driver so far and looking forward to hearing about everyone's results.  

Rob 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Looks like everyone is hitting them pretty good right now.
Have you noticed a difference in your ball flight? Is it a higher or lower trajectory?

Do you attribute the gain in distance to more carry or roll or maybe both.

I’m assuming the Vizard shaft is a “ Made for” shaft since it looks like you all ended up with some variance of it. How’s the feel.....whipping? Stiff?

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

7 hours ago, PrestonAtHonma said:

Hi everyone,

My name is Preston Toulon and I'm the Product and Custom Club Manager at Honma Golf USA. Our friends at MGS here were kind enough to invite me to join the conversation.

First of all, thanks to the testers and the folks willing to give our stuff a shot. By the looks of it, things seem to be going nicely with possibly some opportunity to tinker more and find even better combinations. All you testers have my cell number, so call me if I can help more.

Thanks also to the folks following along in the conversation. Honma is still relatively unknown in the western market and we're working hard every day to win over more and more golfers. Obviously being less known, there are probably some questions about our stuff out there and I'm more than happy to answer any questions any of you have about our product line or our shafts or whatever. We've generally found if we can get our product into golfer's hands, more often than not they enjoy it.

If there's anything I can answer please don't hesitate to ask.

Wishing all good health and good golf.

Robbe Trout is one HECK of a rep. Class act, knowledgeable, great guy!!! I’ve worked with him a few times, and even got a few buddies to give y’all a shot through Robbe’s fittings. So far, one of the three has bought a full-set of irons, and the driver! 
Thanks for jumping-in! The products, the reps, customer service, and Wedge Wizard building my set of irons are ALL incredible!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

35 minutes ago, TBT said:

Have you noticed a difference in your ball flight? Is it a higher or lower trajectory?

I’m assuming the Vizard shaft is a “ Made for” shaft since it looks like you all ended up with some variance of it. How’s the feel.....whipping? Stiff?

Keep up the good work!

It’s hard to quantify “made for” in the Honma situation as they build the shaft in the same factories as the clubs. They are proprietary to Honma, not “knockoffs”, or even UST/etc with a different paint job like Ping does. Vizard is Honma, owned by Honma, manufactured by Honma. I would say “made by” would be a better descriptor since we all know “made for” has a completely different connotation.

Another video from a range session last night attempting to capture the sound.  3 shots, the second is a high-on-the-face miss. I was practicing with the teaching pro at this course and he was really impressed with the club, and the drives I was hitting.  We play together quite a bit so he knows my game, to include my gamer driver, and he was impressed.

I know I'm offering lots of subjective input at the moment; I'll be getting numbers next weekend.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

19 hours ago, PrestonAtHonma said:

Hi everyone,

My name is Preston Toulon and I'm the Product and Custom Club Manager at Honma Golf USA. Our friends at MGS here were kind enough to invite me to join the conversation.

First of all, thanks to the testers and the folks willing to give our stuff a shot. By the looks of it, things seem to be going nicely with possibly some opportunity to tinker more and find even better combinations. All you testers have my cell number, so call me if I can help more.

Thanks also to the folks following along in the conversation. Honma is still relatively unknown in the western market and we're working hard every day to win over more and more golfers. Obviously being less known, there are probably some questions about our stuff out there and I'm more than happy to answer any questions any of you have about our product line or our shafts or whatever. We've generally found if we can get our product into golfer's hands, more often than not they enjoy it.

For the rest of the forum, Preston is the real deal.  Preston spent a lot of time trying to get to a good fit over the phone given COVID, and he's certainly followed up since.  I ended up calling him last week to talk about some adjustments, and like a dumb arse forgot about the time zone difference and ended up calling him at 7:30 in the morning!  He was fine with it...in fact he was up to watch Tiger at the Memorial anyway, and spent as much time just talking golf as he did the driver adjustment.

Welcome to the community Preston!

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

12 hours ago, TBT said:

Keep up the good work!

I'm in the stock 60g which is more of a mid-mid shaft; it has a stiff tip and a soft mid-section for speed.  I really like it.  The best comparison I could offer is that it feels stiffer than an Evenflow but not as stiff and more kick than a HZRDOUS...I can definitely perceive the kick but I wouldn't call it whippy.  I'm seeing the mid-flight that I wanted, and I don't get any ballooning like I occasionally got with my gamer.  I don't have the numbers to back it up yet, but I suspect the gains are largely more carry than roll.

As @PMookie already put it, yeah these stock shafts are "made for" but made by Honma for Honma, and they're certainly not the same in concept as the watered-down "made for's" from other OEMs.  I've got one of those...the T800 made for HZRDOUS that came with my gamer Epic, that was painted to look like a T1100 but did't play like it at all.  Honma swears by their stock Vizard shafts as high-end, made from high-quality and high-strength materials.  I for one am convinced.

12 hours ago, TBT said:

Keep up the good work!

I had a bit of an injury the day I got the club, and still not quite 100%, but due to the fit and what I was looking for, the ball flight is very similar to my old driver, maybe a touch lower. The flight is piercing and low spin, so on the few where I hit both drivers outside, it seemed to go slightly longer than my gamer. If anything, I'm turning the ball over slightly more with the Honma so I have had to adjust my alignment a bit, possibly because I'm using a midsize grip instead of the over-sized grip in in my gamer.  Center hits feel and sound great, and off center toe/heel/high/low on the face definitely provide feedback but still seem to have decent distance and fly pretty straight.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Keep up the good work!

Only had a few range sessions and 1 round with it so far but it seems to be coming out of a similar window as my TS3. Possibly a little lower even.

Distance wise it’s hard for me to compare right now. I value carry distance significantly over total because I can count on carry distance regardless of dry or wet fairway conditions.

As the others have said, the Vizard shaft is definitely not a “Made For” product. I would put it right up there with some of the best quality shafts u can buy. Only difference is that it seems that Honma doesn’t sell their Vizard shafts on their own and the only way you can get ahold of one is with the purchase of a Honma club.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I'm in the stock 60g which is more of a mid-mid shaft; it has a stiff tip and a soft mid-section for speed.  I really like it.  The best comparison I could offer is that it feels stiffer than an Evenflow but not as stiff and more kick than a HZRDOUS...I can definitely perceive the kick but I wouldn't call it whippy.  I'm seeing the mid-flight that I wanted, and I don't get any ballooning like I occasionally got with my gamer.  I don't have the numbers to back it up yet, but I suspect the gains are largely more carry than roll.
As [mention=2567]PMookie[/mention] already put it, yeah these stock shafts are "made for" but made by Honma for Honma, and they're certainly not the same in concept as the watered-down "made for's" from other OEMs.  I've got one of those...the T800 made for HZRDOUS that came with my gamer Epic, that was painted to look like a T1100 but did't play like it at all.  Honma swears by their stock Vizard shafts as high-end, made from high-quality and high-strength materials.  I for one am convinced.

Sounds like what PING does with their “stock” shafts like the Ping Tour too. High quality stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Sounds like what PING does with their “stock” shafts like the Ping Tour too. High quality stuff.

Yes and no. Both are good quality but Ping is purely a manufacturer of club heads. They do help design the shafts for each model but the manufacturing is handled buy a 3rd party.

Honma controls the entirety of the design and manufacturing processes for both their club heads and Vizard shafts

Basically Honma is both Mizuno and Mitsubishi Chemical.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

21 hours ago, PrestonAtHonma said:

Hi everyone,

Hi Preston, Thank you for being a part of the forum. I just picked up some TW-W4 wedges thanks in part to the MGS Most Wanted report and the way the members have been singing the praises of the service with Honma. Looking forward to getting them out this weekend!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

12 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

Hi Preston, Thank you for being a part of the forum. I just picked up some TW-W4 wedges thanks in part to the MGS Most Wanted report and the way the members have been singing the praises of the service with Honma. Looking forward to getting them out this weekend!

Did you get them in store, or have Wedge Wizard customize them for you?

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

1 minute ago, JudgeSmails said:

Finally got to hit it tonight....first impression...WOW
First strike was right in the sweet spot too20200723_173720.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Those are just good looking clubs! I got to see a good bit of the lineup at the Golf HQ and Honma nails the looks on both the woods and irons. 

I know a lot of companies are doing the black faces, but I love the look of the silver face into a clean black head

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

1 hour ago, jayjay0808 said:

I know a lot of companies are doing the black faces, but I love the look of the silver face into a clean black head

I like the look too and very politically correct 😉. Still taking some adjustment as my old driver is matte black, and no glare or shine whatsoever. 

The black top on this is so shiny that you can see yourself at address if you look at the clubhead, so in a way I guess it helps to make sure you look at the ball. 

Here's what you see at address:

MVIMG_20200724_155201.jpg

Here is some swings from today with the TR20 on the range. 1st is a normal driver swing and the 2nd swing is a flighted driver. IMPORTANT NOTE: My driver may (and probably does) sound a little bit different than some of the other testers because I requested my driver to be build with a little bit of Hot Melt to bring the swing weight back up around D4 since the length is 1" short of standard.

Gamed the TR20 yesterday and, when I put a good swing on it, hit it very well.  I had 3 dead left pulls that went OB that killed my score for the day; ended up with a 79 that relied heavily on my putter.  Those pulls had nothing to do with the driver and everything with some poor swings on my part.  The last time I played I hit some big tee balls that had me a little amped up this time, and I think it caused me to come unglued and get over-aggressive, swing out of sequence, and yank it left.

351798693_WillowLakes25Jul.png.531667d7dc8e1c121f9ff0c2f02ac961.png

When I did put a decent swing on it, the TR20 rewarded it.  In fact, my first two drives had my playing partners saying "wow" and had me with a club less than normal into the green....270 on the first hole that's pretty uphill, 290+ on the second.  I am definitely hitting some longer tee shots with this club.

I've been looking forward to next Saturday for a while now...I'll get on a launch monitor at GolfTEC and compare it side-to-side with my old gamer.

On 7/21/2020 at 7:50 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Good point; appreciate the feedback.

Bear in mind that being the "shortie" has its privileges.... you get to hit first and put the pressure on em' 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 7/23/2020 at 9:24 AM, B.Boston said:

And the difference between Ping’s “stock” shafts is that Ping does acquire them from manufacturers like UST, whereas Honma manufactures theirs themselves. 

On 7/24/2020 at 9:17 PM, DPattGolf said:

Here is some swings from today with the TR20 on the range. 1st is a normal driver swing and the 2nd swing is a flighted driver. IMPORTANT NOTE: My driver may (and probably does) sound a little bit different than some of the other testers because I requested my driver to be build with a little bit of Hot Melt to bring the swing weight back up around D4 since the length is 1" short of standard.

The sound seems more of a THUD than anything else. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

used it for an entire round this past weekend....still WOW, i would describe it as 'Point & Shoot'....Very forgiving

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

7 minutes ago, JudgeSmails said:

used it for an entire round this past weekend....still WOW, i would describe it as 'Point & Shoot'....Very forgiving

How's distance for you?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

So I'm getting enough of a sample size to draw some conclusions, and I like this club.  Long, and surprisingly more forgiving than I expected it would be.

Here's a swing I put on it yesterday on a long par 5 from the tips:

And here was the result, left with 254 in on a strike that wasn't completely centered (a little to the toe):

IMG_4007.jpg.85e24c4637ef979cc3be6f13be2d0141.jpg

Granted 254 is still a long way to go, but playing from the tips that drive is in the 300 neighborhood.  Did it again a few holes later on a 368 yard par 4:

IMG_4010.jpg.905fbbd1bcfe43703f22cbbc923e989e.jpg

Granted, this is a bit inexact in that the tee likely wasn't set to the exact max yardage, and I did have a bit of a breeze at my back on this second one, but we're talking  5mph of helping wind at best.  The point is, I'm definitely hitting the ball farther, and loving it!  It's also really fun to be a tester and follow the MGS direction to hit driver as often as possible. I normally play this last hole with a hybrid since (as you can see from the pic) it's tree-lined and narrows down a good bit.  Kind of making me re-think that decision going forward...

33 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I'm getting enough of a sample size to draw some conclusions, and I like this club.  Long, and surprisingly more forgiving than I expected it would be.

Here's a swing I put on it yesterday on a long par 5 from the tips:

And here was the result, left with 254 in on a strike that wasn't completely centered (a little to the toe):

IMG_4007.jpg.85e24c4637ef979cc3be6f13be2d0141.jpg

Granted 254 is still a long way to go, but playing from the tips that drive is in the 300 neighborhood.  Did it again a few holes later on a 368 yard par 4:

IMG_4010.jpg.905fbbd1bcfe43703f22cbbc923e989e.jpg

Granted, this is a bit inexact in that the tee likely wasn't set to the exact max yardage, and I did have a bit of a breeze at my back on this second one, but we're talking  5mph of helping wind at best.  The point is, I'm definitely hitting the ball farther, and loving it!  It's also really fun to be a tester and follow the MGS direction to hit driver as often as possible. I normally play this last hole with a hybrid since (as you can see from the pic) it's tree-lined and narrows down a good bit.  Kind of making me re-think that decision going forward...

Nice swings!  I've been following Scott Fawcett @scottfawcett and Lou Stagner @Loustagner on Twitter for awhile, and have fully bought into the idea to 'send it' whenever possible.  

I haven't noticed any huge distance gains so far with the Honma, but the dispersion is incredible.  There aren't too many holes that I don't want to hit it.

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

How's distance for you?

at least equal to my epic i'd say...it's hard for me to tell on the course (and it's a course i don't play much), i'll know more on that when i can hit a sim for a session

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Good article/video about Honma on the MGS front page...

https://mygolfspy.com/whats-next-for-honma-golf/