TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Honma TR20 driver

Great stuff so far guys, really like the sound and the performance looks like it will be really good but that glossy top could be too much. Give me a nice muted top any day.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

33 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Great stuff so far guys, really like the sound and the performance looks like it will be really good but that glossy top could be too much. Give me a nice muted top any day.

I don't think it looks too bad, at least not from the pics anyways. 

Of course, if I was standing over it with the sun directly overhead, my answer might be a bit different!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

Of course, if I was standing over it with the sun directly overhead, my answer might be a bit different!

Honestly it's never been an issue for me...I dig it.  To me the gloss adds a very sleek, premium look.

The other knock I've heard is the lack of an alignment aid on top.  I suppose I can understand that argument, but again to each his own.  Doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I tend to prefer the clean look.  I game a TE CBX 119 in a 3 wood and 3 hybrid and same thing with those clubs, no visual aids on the crown.  Point being, it certainly suits my preferences.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

The club looks great but the last thing I need is to see myself in the club, The distraction of seeing my own glorious swing would be too much 🤪😁

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

7 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Honestly it's never been an issue for me...I dig it.  To me the gloss adds a very sleek, premium look.

The other knock I've heard is the lack of an alignment aid on top.  I suppose I can understand that argument, but again to each his own.  Doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I tend to prefer the clean look.  I game a TE CBX 119 in a 3 wood and 3 hybrid and same thing with those clubs, no visual aids on the crown.  Point being, it certainly suits my preferences.

I totally agree about the premium look, Honma take that very seriously. The lack of alignment aid doesn't bother me either, I line up towards the toe anyway. Well I did before the new hip came along and changed my swing....

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Good article/video about Honma on the MGS front page...

https://mygolfspy.com/whats-next-for-honma-golf/

I just received my TW-W4 wedges and got them out on course yesterday.... All I can say is wow they are spectacular. 

I think if Honma stays the course based on the reviews so far here, and what I am seeing online on other forums they will crack the NA market. I think 2020 just really threw a wrench in it

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

3 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

I just received my TW-W4 wedges and got them out on course yesterday.... All I can say is wow they are spectacular. 

I think if Honma stays the course based on the reviews so far here, and what I am seeing online on other forums they will crack the NA market. I think 2020 just really threw a wrench in it

I absolutely agree.  I'm really interested in the tour play he alluded to in the video for next year too.  Honestly, what a tour pro is doing has absolutely zero impact on what I put in my bag, but for a lot of consumers it does.  It will be interesting to see who they recruit into their stable, contract or non-contract, and what impact that has.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

56 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I absolutely agree.  I'm really interested in the tour play he alluded to in the video for next year too.  Honestly, what a tour pro is doing has absolutely zero impact on what I put in my bag, but for a lot of consumers it does.  It will be interesting to see who they recruit into their stable, contract or non-contract, and what impact that has.

There were quite a few tour players testing either the driver or irons during the COVID break... May have some coming up that we don't know about

I am with you 100%... What tour pros play don't help me decide what to buy but these reviews and forums do!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

I decided to go to the range at lunch today and hit a few.  Honestly I wasn't working on anything with my swing, just needed to take some anger out on a few balls. Early in the session I was pulling quite a few, and the tomohawk move in the middle is kinda my default corrective action, but I adjusted my grip before the last few swings and hit those last two really pure! 

Also I'll work on my club twirl before the next video

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Had a chance to play one of the local country clubs yesterday and I feel like I’m really starting to get a good feel with the TR20 after making a few swing improvements. Hit 8/14 fairways with all but 1 miss being barely off the fairway. The 1 bad miss was because I misunderstood where I needed to aim and it resulted in a double bogey. Ended up finishing -4 for the day with 6 birdies.

This was one of my better drives of the day

IMG_0922.JPG.a005ac39cccef4e573de41ef2ab9fe40.JPG

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Got a round in today. First round on my normal course. I played the blues because of the group I was with and hit the Honma okay. I had a few misses when I was trying to kill it, but hit it a lot better on the back 9. Also hit a nice 85% controlled cut on a drivable par 4, and the workability was great.  Everything was pretty good today except my lag putting 🤬

I'm going to tinker with the weights and lofts and try again tomorrow.

-cd22l9.jpg

Screenshot_20200801-131143.png

Screenshot_20200801-131201.png

Screenshot_20200801-131215.png

Screenshot_20200801-131222.png

Screenshot_20200801-131245.png

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

The 460 TR20 and I hit 70% of our fairways yesterday...

588727098_WillowLakes1Aug.png.44a310dcfc367b6dd7158d08030a28e2.png

I'm not a big hitter and I'm probably never going to be. I'm far more of a Zach Johnson than I am a Dustin Johnson; I make my scores being good with a wedge and decent with the flatstick.  Finding fairways is hugely important for me to play well, and the TR20 is really turning out to be a forgiving fairway finder for me.  And while I'm not long, I continue to find myself farther down the fairway than I have been before.  A couple drives crept into the 280, 290 range, which for me is a big knock.

Oh, and I got on a launch monitor and confirmed it.  This time feel is real folks, the Honma is a great driver for me.  More on that in a future post, coming very soon!

On 7/31/2020 at 8:06 AM, Nunfa0 said:

The club looks great but the last thing I need is to see myself in the club, The distraction of seeing my own glorious swing would be too much 🤪😁

I’m looking at the ball, so I never notice my reflection even on the sunniest days...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I decided to change the driver settings a bit between Saturday and Sunday's round.  I changed the loft from position FL to position CL which is changed loft and lie angle 1 degree, and also moved the 9 gram weight from the front to the back.  I played the tips on Sunday, and overall the ball flight was great, maybe better than before.  The higher ball flight increased my carry numbers a bit, and 7 of 14 drives were over 300 total. I still over-cooked a couple when I tried to swing hard, which killed me on a couple par 5's, and I flew into 3 fairway bunkers 265-285 out that were still really good strikes, but overall, will probably go with this set up on calm or damp days, and go back to standard loft (8.5) on windy and dry days.

I didn't toy much with my settings on my old driver, but adjusting the angle on the shaft made me a bit nervous.  After it's fairly tight, you have to go til you hear 2 loud clicks to make sure it's secure, and it sounds rather painful for the club, but everything is okay!

IMG_20200801_171859.jpg

IMG_20200801_172249.jpg

IMG_20200801_172407.jpg

IMG_20200801_174118.jpg

Alright, here goes...so I got on a launch monitor at GolfTEC in Omaha and got some comparables between the TR20 and my current gamer.

573342120_IMG_4028(1).jpg.18afe45835d98e7d09b0bac7ec3c73c8.jpgIMG_4030.jpg.042837c45f2b2cf1310454d2d6bdeafe.jpg

I wasn't putting very good swings on it, with either club, but if golf is a game of misses then here is some data on which club gave me the better misses.  I'll give you the raw data first, then provide some comments on my challenges as a driver of the golf ball and this session overall.

So, I first hit some shots with the TR20.  These were almost all blocks, which is my typical miss.  Then came my old Callaway Epic.  Here are those numbers:

710088105_HonmavsEpic1.png.53827b032781c080acc7bdda2e0e63d1.png

So, at first glance, ball speed is up with the Honma, and so is spin, while average carry and overall distance goes to the Epic.  However, the bigger/better shots are in the Honma, it's just the averages that it lost on.  (Granted, small sample size here.)

I then went back to the Honma, being a little more warmed up at that point.  These are the second set of Honma numbers, compared to the same Epic data set:

89302624_HonmavsEpic2.png.a33d0c85c1cb8f5b5930c45bbd76d0bc.png

So, ball speed is up with the Honma by roughly 4 mph, carry by 5 yards, distance is about the same.  However, there is a mega-high spin miss in the second Honma test of 3800 RPM spin, 218 carry, and 236 total...obviously a big miss that I should have deleted from the data.  If you take that shot out, average ball speed becomes 143.7, carry becomes 242.8, and average distance becomes 265.1.

So, on what i would call a bad ball-striking day with the club I struggle with the most, the Honma TR20 proved to be an upgrade over my gamer.  My spin numbers are all over the place to the point that I might tinker a bit more, but still, I'm otherwise convinced this club is a very good fit for me.  I know, because I also tested a few other clubs!

IMG_4023.jpg.60d24148371609399ac70cbd3534d93a.jpgIMG_4020.jpg.83f691db36677a1bb908ee621415cde6.jpg

I'll post those results later in the week!  (Got to keep readers coming back...) For now, let me hit you with my caveats and I'll let you take them or leave them...

1)  I'm not a very good driver of the golf ball.  I'm not awful, but I'm not good either.  With almost every other club I put what I think is an athletic swing on the ball, but with driver I have a very hard time being loose and athletic versus using some kind of barbarian smash swing.  Case in point, after testing these, I spent the next 30 minutes doing a gap analysis of the top end of my bag.  I hit my 3-wood off the deck for 5 shots, and my lowest ball speed number was 141, and I averaged 143.  That's right, same as driver. My coach attributed it to comfort level, and tempo, and said he sees it all the time actually.  For one thing, you're a little close to the sweet spot with 3 wood, but maybe more importantly, most people accept a certain yardage with the 3 wood versus an "as far as you can" mentality with driver.  The latter is definitely me.  (I also would say I hate hitting in bays, but now I'm just whining...)

2)  I had already played 18 before I ever got to the fitting, had been having a few drinks the night before, hadn't had lunch...excuse excuse excuse.  Point is, I was a little gassed and it showed...my swing speed never got past 103 and I'm usually at 105ish, and those blocks I hit usually happen when I don't post up on my left side and start sliding a little more.  Sorry if I fouled up the experiment...we're all human.

Let me know your thoughts and ask any questions.  More testing goodness to come!

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Alright, here goes...so I got on a launch monitor at GolfTEC in Omaha and got some comparables between the TR20 and my current gamer.

573342120_IMG_4028(1).jpg.18afe45835d98e7d09b0bac7ec3c73c8.jpgIMG_4030.jpg.042837c45f2b2cf1310454d2d6bdeafe.jpg

I wasn't putting very good swings on it, with either club, but if golf is a game of misses then here is some data on which club gave me the better misses.  I'll give you the raw data first, then provide some comments on my challenges as a driver of the golf ball and this session overall.

So, I first hit some shots with the TR20.  These were almost all blocks, which is my typical miss.  Then came my old Callaway Epic.  Here are those numbers:

So, at first glance, ball speed is up with the Honma, and so is spin, while average carry and overall distance goes to the Epic.  However, the bigger/better shots are in the Honma, it's just the averages that it lost on.  (Granted, small sample size here.)

I then went back to the Honma, being a little more warmed up at that point.  These are the second set of Honma numbers, compared to the same Epic data set:

So, ball speed is up with the Honma by roughly 4 mph, carry by 5 yards, distance is about the same.  However, there is a mega-high spin miss in the second Honma test of 3800 RPM spin, 218 carry, and 236 total...obviously a big miss that I should have deleted from the data.  If you take that shot out, average ball speed becomes 143.7, carry becomes 242.8, and average distance becomes 265.1.

So, on what i would call a bad ball-striking day with the club I struggle with the most, the Honma TR20 proved to be an upgrade over my gamer.  My spin numbers are all over the place to the point that I might tinker a bit more, but still, I'm otherwise convinced this club is a very good fit for me.  I know, because I also tested a few other clubs!

IMG_4023.jpg.60d24148371609399ac70cbd3534d93a.jpgIMG_4020.jpg.83f691db36677a1bb908ee621415cde6.jpg

I'll post those results later in the week!  (Got to keep readers coming back...) For now, let me hit you with my caveats and I'll let you take them or leave them...

1)  I'm not a very good driver of the golf ball.  I'm not awful, but I'm not good either.  With almost every other club I put what I think is an athletic swing on the ball, but with driver I have a very hard time being loose and athletic versus using some kind of barbarian smash swing.  Case in point, after testing these, I spent the next 30 minutes doing a gap analysis of the top end of my bag.  I hit my 3-wood off the deck for 5 shots, and my lowest ball speed number was 141, and I averaged 143.  That's right, same as driver. My coach attributed it to comfort level, and tempo, and said he sees it all the time actually.  For one thing, you're a little close to the sweet spot with 3 wood, but maybe more importantly, most people accept a certain yardage with the 3 wood versus an "as far as you can" mentality with driver.  The latter is definitely me.  (I also would say I hate hitting in bays, but now I'm just whining...)

2)  I had already played 18 before I ever got to the fitting, had been having a few drinks the night before, hadn't had lunch...excuse excuse excuse.  Point is, I was a little gassed and it showed...my swing speed never got past 103 and I'm usually at 105ish, and those blocks I hit usually happen when I don't post up on my left side and start sliding a little more.  Sorry if I fouled up the experiment...we're all human.

Let me know your thoughts and ask any questions.  More testing goodness to come!

Wow, love this post. Super thoughtful review and your effort to put some time in with this thing is sincerely appreciated. Same to all the other testers. Appreciate all the posts and data and thoughts, good and bad. It'll make us better.

My first takeaway is that I'm excited about the ball speed you're picking up. Looks like that 149 is a bit out of an outlier, launch is super low and the spin is high too. But even with that removed it looks like the speed is up. 

Love where the launch is too. Next key is getting that spin down just a bit. That last shot in the 2nd Honma data set is pretty much gold standard. LA between 12 and 15 and spin between 22-2500 RPM. That's how to maximize distance, and the numbers bear that out. Your 4th shot in the 2nd Honma data set reinforces that theory too...

Let's talk a bit more about how we can toggle down that spin. We can maybe mess with the weights a bit or tweak the hosel setting to make those 12-15 launches and 22-2500 spins become the norm. Bonus points if we can bump launch up a little higher too. Shoot me a text and let's talk weight and hosel configuration. Let's make this thing a rocket.

8 minutes ago, PrestonAtHonma said:

Wow, love this post. Super thoughtful review and your effort to put some time in with this thing is sincerely appreciated. Same to all the other testers. Appreciate all the posts and data and thoughts, good and bad. It'll make us better.

My first takeaway is that I'm excited about the ball speed you're picking up. Looks like that 149 is a bit out of an outlier, launch is super low and the spin is high too. But even with that removed it looks like the speed is up. 

Love where the launch is too. Next key is getting that spin down just a bit. That last shot in the 2nd Honma data set is pretty much gold standard. LA between 12 and 15 and spin between 22-2500 RPM. That's how to maximize distance, and the numbers bear that out. Your 4th shot in the 2nd Honma data set reinforces that theory too...

Let's talk a bit more about how we can toggle down that spin. We can maybe mess with the weights a bit or tweak the hosel setting to make those 12-15 launches and 22-2500 spins become the norm. Bonus points if we can bump launch up a little higher too. Shoot me a text and let's talk weight and hosel configuration. Let's make this thing a rocket.

Text on it’s way brother!!

So cool to see the manufacturer tracking this test and offering nearly real time adjustments

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my bag:

During the GolfTEC fitting I also had a chance to compare the Honma TR20 against a few other OEMs.

IMG_4023.jpg.fb471278965fa8a4a5c9749d687fa09e.jpgIMG_4021.jpg.380d681d2b4589341150305770279ca4.jpg

First out of the gate was the Ping G410 Plus.

IMG_4025.jpg.37b388ea3ecb28819637de30e7eb7084.jpg

And here were the results, using the same Honma data set followed by a few shots with the G410 set to a draw bias:

:Ping.png.6bdfa4ed6c32a5206b2a6e5a33af7725.png

Again, I acknowledge this is a small sample size.  (Try to keep in mind I was on the clock, and on my dollar, and was also doing a gap analysis at the top of my bag later in this session so I couldn't hammer out a ton of shots.)  

Remember, removing the Honma high-spin outlier, the average ball speed becomes 143.7, carry becomes 242.8, and average distance becomes 265.1.

This particular test showed me the Ping was definitely not for me, and that FOR ME the Honma is clearly superior.

Next up, the Callaway MAvRIK...

Next, I hit the Callaway MAVRIK:

1690226264_IMG_4027(1).jpg.67ba916bb0e70deca18883248e1da8f3.jpg

Here's how the Honma TR20 shook out against it:

Callaway.png.ef4f8f3934ea1156e0447d8f63be0356.png

Once more, if you remove the high-spin outlier from the Honma data, the average ball speed becomes 143.7, average carry 242.8, and average distance 265.1.  And again, I know only three shots on the MAVRIK border on being statistically irrelevant.  

That said, I can say I've always gotten along well with Callaway drivers, and the MAVRIK was no different.  I didn't mind it, and among the other OEMs out there that's probably where I'd look.  That said, I can subjectively tell you it didn't hold a candle to the Honma in the sound and feel department, and as you can see based on the limited data it wasn't producing the numbers like the Honma was either.

Then, I tested the SIM:

IMG_4026.jpg.0fa8fbff65d0211e1120a0daeaff5f35.jpg

Actually, no I didn't.  I nearly broke out in hives and got sick to my stomach, and put it back on the shelf.  Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone and maybe it's great for somebody, but I have an aversion to all things TaylorMade and a quick look at this didn't help.  A "made for" shaft that is painted like and actually called a Ventus, but has no Velocore technology and is therefore not really a Ventus?  No thanks.

Sorry to get off topic there, or I did I?  I am really liking the stock Vizard shaft, and yeah it's made for, but it's made for Honma by Honma in Japan with premium materials, not made in China with watered down materials and represented to be something else.

But I digress.  I did end up making the adjustments @PrestonAtHonmarecommended and took it out on the course yesterday,, more on that later...

On 8/3/2020 at 12:22 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Same 3-4 mph of ball speed I got vs Epic Flash SZ! Sweet!!!!! Helluva club!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

So last week @PrestonAtHonmarecommended that I make an adjustment to the TR20 based on some higher than desired spin I shared in a previous post.  This was the adjustment:

IMG_4067.jpg.76e3e02f63519947f24c30a09ea5618a.jpg

The heavy weight has been moved out of the draw bias position into the forward spot, with the intent of scrubbing off a few 100 RPM of spin.  Did it work?  I think so...played and practiced last night and if my Bushnell is to be believed, I got some out in the 280-290 range, which is bomb-territory for this guy.  I plan to get on a launch monitor again this Sunday to actually measure the difference.

But while I was as it I figured it might be beneficial to touch on the "Non-Rotating System" Honma uses, which is unique but has been described as "non-intuitive." I tried to take a video of this, but I don't have a third hand so hopefully a few pics tell the story.

First, the stock setting...notice that little white notch.

IMG_4068.jpg.3cf2399999f9fce372859a457e188055.jpg

And now here's the tool...notice that little tab at the end under the white line?

IMG_4069.jpg.2a33513293a826f45c9076446e6904f8.jpg

So, to make your adjustment, you insert the tool into the screw like any other, but that tab on white line on the tool inserts into the white notch on the adapter.  Then, you need to put the grip end into the floor to keep tension on it...once you loosen the screw, you then keep one hand on the top part of the wrench and use the other to twist the white line into the orientation you want, like so...

IMG_4070.jpg.a25703e2bcde63ef02108a2e678ace0c.jpg

Once you have it where you want it, tighten it back down until you get two loud audible clicks (which come from the wrench not the club), and you're done.  The manual offers a breakdown of the orientations available and the impact on loft, lie and face angle..

IMG_3957.jpg.0633e9eb0d2245573955b690b1570354.jpg

Different isn't it?  But, I can't say I mind it or find it otherwise awkward, and the benefit of the non-rotating system is that Honma spine aligns their shafts...the system keeps the shaft in a neutral position, which equates to improved consistency of impact.

I know I've been nothing but positive about this club, so here's one small gripe, and @PrestonAtHonmaalready knows this because he brought it up on the phone before I did...this manual ain't North America ready; clearly written by somebody for whom English may not have even been his second language.  For example..

IMG_4075.jpg.e88f92b5d8542548f52ac8d5e91f00a5.jpg

I'm pretty sure "Precautions of Detouching" means "Don't let go."  I know, this is ticky-tack and nothing to do with club performance, but I've got to find something to criticize right?

18 and then a trip to a launch monitor this Sunday!

4 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So last week @PrestonAtHonmarecommended that I make an adjustment to the TR20 based on some higher than desired spin I shared in a previous post.  This was the adjustment:

IMG_4067.jpg.76e3e02f63519947f24c30a09ea5618a.jpg

The heavy weight has been moved out of the draw bias position into the forward spot, with the intent of scrubbing off a few 100 RPM of spin.  Did it work?  I think so...played and practiced last night and if my Bushnell is to be believed, I got some out in the 280-290 range, which is bomb-territory for this guy.  I plan to get on a launch monitor again this Sunday to actually measure the difference.

But while I was as it I figured it might be beneficial to touch on the "Non-Rotating System" Honma uses, which is unique but has been described as "non-intuitive." I tried to take a video of this, but I don't have a third hand so hopefully a few pics tell the story.

First, the stock setting...notice that little white notch.

IMG_4068.jpg.3cf2399999f9fce372859a457e188055.jpg

And now here's the tool...notice that little tab at the end under the white line?

IMG_4069.jpg.2a33513293a826f45c9076446e6904f8.jpg

So, to make your adjustment, you insert the tool into the screw like any other, but that tab on white line on the tool inserts into the white notch on the adapter.  Then, you need to put the grip end into the floor to keep tension on it...once you loosen the screw, you then keep one hand on the top part of the wrench and use the other to twist the white line into the orientation you want, like so...

IMG_4070.jpg.a25703e2bcde63ef02108a2e678ace0c.jpg

Once you have it where you want it, tighten it back down until you get two loud audible clicks (which come from the wrench not the club), and you're done.  The manual offers a breakdown of the orientations available and the impact on loft, lie and face angle..

IMG_3957.jpg.0633e9eb0d2245573955b690b1570354.jpg

Different isn't it?  But, I can't say I mind it or find it otherwise awkward, and the benefit of the non-rotating system is that Honma spine aligns their shafts...the system keeps the shaft in a neutral position, which equates to improved consistency of impact.

I know I've been nothing but positive about this club, so here's one small gripe, and @PrestonAtHonmaalready knows this because he brought it up on the phone before I did...this manual ain't North America ready; clearly written by somebody for whom English may not have even been his second language.  For example..

IMG_4075.jpg.e88f92b5d8542548f52ac8d5e91f00a5.jpg

I'm pretty sure "Precautions of Detouching" means "Don't let go."  I know, this is ticky-tack and nothing to do with club performance, but I've got to find something to criticize right?

18 and then a trip to a launch monitor this Sunday!

I think it is "Precautions of Detaching". With most other OEM's, adjustable shafts, the screw stays attached to the head, but, with  Honma, the adjustment ring and screw can fall out.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:16 PM, bellken said:

I think it is "Precautions of Detaching". With most other OEM's, adjustable shafts, the screw stays attached to the head, but, with  Honma, the adjustment ring and screw can fall out.

Yeah, fair enough, but still, you get my point...a rough translation in spots.

Btw, you were right about moving the weight forward.  Unlocked some distance for me, and I seem to be more accurate despite it not being in high MOI setting...maybe I've just gotten to know it better. 

I'll post most recent launch monitor info soon.

Another round in the books, another pretty good day by my standards for fairways hit with the TR20:

243031592_WillowLakes9Aug.png.425cb7880480c41c1e8b2c47b10db547.png

Not a good day with the flatstick, but that's for another thread.

The TR20 continues to turn heads with the sound, and the distance.  My regular playing partners have noticed I'm getting them out there farther than I have been.  Again, several long ones in the 280-290 range.

I got on a launch monitor yesterday to validate the heavy-weight-forward setting too, and I'll post that soon.  The adjustment unlocked some distance for me to say the least...

Finally had some time to mess around with the adjustments and what I have settled on so far seems to possibly be a BIG winner for the few early range sessions over the standard loft and weight settings I started with. Should be getting its first on course run tomorrow and if all goes well it will get its first tournament run next week at Wine Valley GC during the NW Open.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

4 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

Finally had some time to mess around with the adjustments and what I have settled on so far seems to possibly be a BIG winner for the few early range sessions over the standard loft and weight settings I started with. Should be getting its first on course run tomorrow and if all goes well it will get its first tournament run next week at Wine Valley GC during the NW Open.

What adjustment did you make? Weights only? lofts only? Weights and loft?

Loving these reviews guys! It looks like everyone so far has seen some good distance gains! 

I noticed that @golfingbrock said that he hasn't been fit before and @Getoffmylawn has spent a good bit of time at golftec judging by his posts, but I'm curious as to whether the other two were fit for their current drivers before trying out the Honma and how much they can say that being fitted for the Honma along with the interchangeable weight system helped with any distance gains?

On 8/10/2020 at 9:49 PM, Tpoole22 said:

Loving these reviews guys! It looks like everyone so far has seen some good distance gains! 

I noticed that @golfingbrock said that he hasn't been fit before and @Getoffmylawn has spent a good bit of time at golftec judging by his posts, but I'm curious as to whether the other two were fit for their current drivers before trying out the Honma and how much they can say that being fitted for the Honma along with the interchangeable weight system helped with any distance gains?

I think adjusting the loft up a bit from 8.5 to 9.5 helped my launch angle a bit.  I played around today with the weights.  results were very similar weather 9g weight was in the front or the back, but seemed like slightly more spin when weight was up front.  I also did some more testing w/ my old gamer and a buddie's M6, and Honma was the clear winner, though the gamer wasn't too bad.  I'll have the numbers w/ my official review, but here's a thread of a few of my Honma swings: