Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Honma TR20 driver

1 hour ago, ejcrossl said:

As far as adjustments go, anyone know what the S and H stand for under the Face Angle adjustment? 

Where are u looking?

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

1 hour ago, DPattGolf said:

Where are u looking?

In the manual

20201103_132311.jpg

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

1 hour ago, ejcrossl said:

In the manual

20201103_132311.jpg

Not sure what the letters stand for, but the H corresponds with the CL positions, so think that would be closed, and the S w/ the OP position, which would be open

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Just now, bellken said:

S - slice, H - hook would be my guess. 

Too easy, good call

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

I finally spent some time with the TR20 in a bay with GC Hawk.  While not all the features were turned on, it was great to gather some data.  Initial thoughts were it sounds great, and has a great feel off the face.  At D2.5 its a little light for my liking and can't really feel it.  I bought some lead tape to simulate putting a heavier weight up front, surprisingly that increased my spin numbers but also helped with the snappy lefts.  Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to get the ball speed and carry numbers up there with my current TM M5.  Did some adjustments, hit a bunch of balls and even messed around with the TSi3 (which didn't outshine the TM M5, but did seem like it could be a little more reliable overall).  I will mess around with the TR20 some more and try to get it outside and on course.  Numbers below are summaries, open to any questions or dive deeper into numbers if anyone interested.  

1685904656_Honmatesting.JPG.cacebc7b2e3ba5df21808b1dc5034022.JPG

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

• 4 months later...

I was stoked to see the 460 TR20 take 1st in Forgiveness in the 2021 MGS Most Wanted...pretty impressive given it's a year older than most of the sticks it was pitted against.  Didn't do so hot in distance and ball speeds, but I'm very content to game it for another year...crooked off the tee is definitely what holds me back when I'm not playing well, so a bit of help reining in the misses is certainly welcome for me.

At some point I may kick tires on an aftermarket shaft, but I'm certainly happy with the stock Vizard for now.  Very excited for a full year with a TR20 in the bag!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

8 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I was stoked to see the 460 TR20 take 1st in Forgiveness in the 2021 MGS Most Wanted...pretty impressive given it's a year older than most of the sticks it was pitted against.  Didn't do so hot in distance and ball speeds, but I'm very content to game it for another year...crooked off the tee is definitely what holds me back when I'm not playing well, so a bit of help reining in the misses is certainly welcome for me.

At some point I may kick tires on an aftermarket shaft, but I'm certainly happy with the stock Vizard for now.  Very excited for a full year with a TR20 in the bag!

I was just about to say the same thing. I can definitely say that I have never had more confidence at the tee than with this driver. I've tried testing multiple other drivers and nothing can best the consistency of the TR20. It's definitely not the hottest driver on the market but I'll give up a few yards to be in the fairway any day. 

Any other testers still have this in the bag?

14 hours ago, Tpoole22 said:

I was just about to say the same thing. I can definitely say that I have never had more confidence at the tee than with this driver. I've tried testing multiple other drivers and nothing can best the consistency of the TR20. It's definitely not the hottest driver on the market but I'll give up a few yards to be in the fairway any day. 

Any other testers still have this in the bag?

I still have my 440 in the bag as well, and I love it.  With smash factor capped at 1.5, I don't buy that another driver will hit 10-15+ yds longer than this one.  Also the test included stock shafts without any upcharge shafts.  My Honma has a FP-7X (x-stiff) shaft as none of the stock shafts go beyond stiff.  I also got the weight kit, with a 12g weight up front which really brought down the spin and optimized my launch conditions.  

When they were asking for testers, I picked the 440 over the 460 mostly to improve my odds since I knew more would ask to try the 460, but I really love this club and can't complain at all about forgiveness. Also I think the 440 gives a bit more feedback and I can usually feel exactly where on the face I hit it. 

Here was a recent range session where I was hitting it decent, but not great, #'s via PRGR so not sure how accurate they are

image.png.6e42ff5fc0dc973950b9a94dfc9954c8.png      

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

• 1 month later...

So far this season I can say I'm having a very good year driving the ball with the TR20.  I am fighting some pulls at the moment, but that's very much the indian and not the arrow.  Combined with the speed training I continue to do, and I'm consistently in the 290 range...can't wait to see what happens when the temperatures climb around here.

I do plan to kick some tires on aftermarket shaft options, which isn't easy to do since not everyone carries Honma.  It looks like I'm going to have to shell out $150 for a fitting at Club Champion just to find out if I can do better than this Vizard.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

• 3 months later...
52 minutes ago, toffees said:

Hi.........just got the TR20 driver and would like to know will I hear a "click" sound (like Cobra) when the weight screws are fully tighten?

Thanks in advance!

From the wrench, yes, not from the weight.