GolfSpy Stroker

2020 Official Member Review: Honma TR20 driver

Our Sponsors

I'm in the stock 60g which is more of a mid-mid shaft; it has a stiff tip and a soft mid-section for speed.  I really like it.  The best comparison I could offer is that it feels stiffer than an Evenflow but not as stiff and more kick than a HZRDOUS...I can definitely perceive the kick but I wouldn't call it whippy.  I'm seeing the mid-flight that I wanted, and I don't get any ballooning like I occasionally got with my gamer.  I don't have the numbers to back it up yet, but I suspect the gains are largely more carry than roll.
As [mention=2567]PMookie[/mention] already put it, yeah these stock shafts are "made for" but made by Honma for Honma, and they're certainly not the same in concept as the watered-down "made for's" from other OEMs.  I've got one of those...the T800 made for HZRDOUS that came with my gamer Epic, that was painted to look like a T1100 but did't play like it at all.  Honma swears by their stock Vizard shafts as high-end, made from high-quality and high-strength materials.  I for one am convinced.

Sounds like what PING does with their “stock” shafts like the Ping Tour too. High quality stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

Sounds like what PING does with their “stock” shafts like the Ping Tour too. High quality stuff.

Yes and no. Both are good quality but Ping is purely a manufacturer of club heads. They do help design the shafts for each model but the manufacturing is handled buy a 3rd party.

Honma controls the entirety of the design and manufacturing processes for both their club heads and Vizard shafts

Basically Honma is both Mizuno and Mitsubishi Chemical.

• Like 8

Driver:  :honma: TR20 (7.5*) - Vizard FP-7X , 1" short & tipped 1", 9 gram weight in the back

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TS3 (14.25*) - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 80X, 2 extra grams of head weight

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

CURRENTLY TESTING THE HONMA TR20 DRIVER

21 hours ago, PrestonAtHonma said:

Hi everyone,

My name is Preston Toulon and I'm the Product and Custom Club Manager at Honma Golf USA. Our friends at MGS here were kind enough to invite me to join the conversation.

First of all, thanks to the testers and the folks willing to give our stuff a shot. By the looks of it, things seem to be going nicely with possibly some opportunity to tinker more and find even better combinations. All you testers have my cell number, so call me if I can help more.

Thanks also to the folks following along in the conversation. Honma is still relatively unknown in the western market and we're working hard every day to win over more and more golfers. Obviously being less known, there are probably some questions about our stuff out there and I'm more than happy to answer any questions any of you have about our product line or our shafts or whatever. We've generally found if we can get our product into golfer's hands, more often than not they enjoy it.

If there's anything I can answer please don't hesitate to ask.

Wishing all good health and good golf.

Hi Preston, Thank you for being a part of the forum. I just picked up some TW-W4 wedges thanks in part to the MGS Most Wanted report and the way the members have been singing the praises of the service with Honma. Looking forward to getting them out this weekend!

• Like 9

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

12 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

Hi Preston, Thank you for being a part of the forum. I just picked up some TW-W4 wedges thanks in part to the MGS Most Wanted report and the way the members have been singing the praises of the service with Honma. Looking forward to getting them out this weekend!

Did you get them in store, or have Wedge Wizard customize them for you?

• Like 4

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

1 minute ago, JudgeSmails said:

Finally got to hit it tonight....first impression...WOW
First strike was right in the sweet spot too20200723_173720.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Those are just good looking clubs! I got to see a good bit of the lineup at the Golf HQ and Honma nails the looks on both the woods and irons. 

• Like 6

I know a lot of companies are doing the black faces, but I love the look of the silver face into a clean black head

• Like 4

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1 hour ago, jayjay0808 said:

I know a lot of companies are doing the black faces, but I love the look of the silver face into a clean black head

I like the look too and very politically correct 😉. Still taking some adjustment as my old driver is matte black, and no glare or shine whatsoever. 

The black top on this is so shiny that you can see yourself at address if you look at the clubhead, so in a way I guess it helps to make sure you look at the ball. 

Here's what you see at address:

MVIMG_20200724_155201.jpg

• Like 6

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

Here is some swings from today with the TR20 on the range. 1st is a normal driver swing and the 2nd swing is a flighted driver. IMPORTANT NOTE: My driver may (and probably does) sound a little bit different than some of the other testers because I requested my driver to be build with a little bit of Hot Melt to bring the swing weight back up around D4 since the length is 1" short of standard.

• Like 5

Driver:  :honma: TR20 (7.5*) - Vizard FP-7X , 1" short & tipped 1", 9 gram weight in the back

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TS3 (14.25*) - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 80X, 2 extra grams of head weight

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

CURRENTLY TESTING THE HONMA TR20 DRIVER

Gamed the TR20 yesterday and, when I put a good swing on it, hit it very well.  I had 3 dead left pulls that went OB that killed my score for the day; ended up with a 79 that relied heavily on my putter.  Those pulls had nothing to do with the driver and everything with some poor swings on my part.  The last time I played I hit some big tee balls that had me a little amped up this time, and I think it caused me to come unglued and get over-aggressive, swing out of sequence, and yank it left.

351798693_WillowLakes25Jul.png.531667d7dc8e1c121f9ff0c2f02ac961.png

When I did put a decent swing on it, the TR20 rewarded it.  In fact, my first two drives had my playing partners saying "wow" and had me with a club less than normal into the green....270 on the first hole that's pretty uphill, 290+ on the second.  I am definitely hitting some longer tee shots with this club.

I've been looking forward to next Saturday for a while now...I'll get on a launch monitor at GolfTEC and compare it side-to-side with my old gamer.

• Like 9

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

On 7/21/2020 at 7:50 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Good point; appreciate the feedback.

Bear in mind that being the "shortie" has its privileges.... you get to hit first and put the pressure on em' 😆.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 7/23/2020 at 9:24 AM, B.Boston said:

And the difference between Ping’s “stock” shafts is that Ping does acquire them from manufacturers like UST, whereas Honma manufactures theirs themselves. 

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

On 7/24/2020 at 9:17 PM, DPattGolf said:

Here is some swings from today with the TR20 on the range. 1st is a normal driver swing and the 2nd swing is a flighted driver. IMPORTANT NOTE: My driver may (and probably does) sound a little bit different than some of the other testers because I requested my driver to be build with a little bit of Hot Melt to bring the swing weight back up around D4 since the length is 1" short of standard.

The sound seems more of a THUD than anything else. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

used it for an entire round this past weekend....still WOW, i would describe it as 'Point & Shoot'....Very forgiving

• Like 9

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

7 minutes ago, JudgeSmails said:

used it for an entire round this past weekend....still WOW, i would describe it as 'Point & Shoot'....Very forgiving

How's distance for you?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

So I'm getting enough of a sample size to draw some conclusions, and I like this club.  Long, and surprisingly more forgiving than I expected it would be.

Here's a swing I put on it yesterday on a long par 5 from the tips:

And here was the result, left with 254 in on a strike that wasn't completely centered (a little to the toe):

IMG_4007.jpg.85e24c4637ef979cc3be6f13be2d0141.jpg

Granted 254 is still a long way to go, but playing from the tips that drive is in the 300 neighborhood.  Did it again a few holes later on a 368 yard par 4:

IMG_4010.jpg.905fbbd1bcfe43703f22cbbc923e989e.jpg

Granted, this is a bit inexact in that the tee likely wasn't set to the exact max yardage, and I did have a bit of a breeze at my back on this second one, but we're talking  5mph of helping wind at best.  The point is, I'm definitely hitting the ball farther, and loving it!  It's also really fun to be a tester and follow the MGS direction to hit driver as often as possible. I normally play this last hole with a hybrid since (as you can see from the pic) it's tree-lined and narrows down a good bit.  Kind of making me re-think that decision going forward...

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I'm getting enough of a sample size to draw some conclusions, and I like this club.  Long, and surprisingly more forgiving than I expected it would be.

Here's a swing I put on it yesterday on a long par 5 from the tips:

And here was the result, left with 254 in on a strike that wasn't completely centered (a little to the toe):

IMG_4007.jpg.85e24c4637ef979cc3be6f13be2d0141.jpg

Granted 254 is still a long way to go, but playing from the tips that drive is in the 300 neighborhood.  Did it again a few holes later on a 368 yard par 4:

IMG_4010.jpg.905fbbd1bcfe43703f22cbbc923e989e.jpg

Granted, this is a bit inexact in that the tee likely wasn't set to the exact max yardage, and I did have a bit of a breeze at my back on this second one, but we're talking  5mph of helping wind at best.  The point is, I'm definitely hitting the ball farther, and loving it!  It's also really fun to be a tester and follow the MGS direction to hit driver as often as possible. I normally play this last hole with a hybrid since (as you can see from the pic) it's tree-lined and narrows down a good bit.  Kind of making me re-think that decision going forward...

Nice swings!  I've been following Scott Fawcett @scottfawcett and Lou Stagner @Loustagner on Twitter for awhile, and have fully bought into the idea to 'send it' whenever possible.  

I haven't noticed any huge distance gains so far with the Honma, but the dispersion is incredible.  There aren't too many holes that I don't want to hit it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

How's distance for you?

at least equal to my epic i'd say...it's hard for me to tell on the course (and it's a course i don't play much), i'll know more on that when i can hit a sim for a session

• Like 4

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

Good article/video about Honma on the MGS front page...

https://mygolfspy.com/whats-next-for-honma-golf/

• Like 4