Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: Honma TR20 driver


Recommended Posts

Great stuff so far guys, really like the sound and the performance looks like it will be really good but that glossy top could be too much. Give me a nice muted top any day.

  • Like 4

 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Arrival So today is a good day…   Just a few teaser pics.  More to follow once I unwrap this bad boy…

Getoffmylawn's Honma TR20 460 Review First and foremost, let me start off by saying what an honor it is to have been selected by MyGolfSpy as a tester.  And, I want to thank the membership of thi

HONMA TR20 (460cc) – Official MGS Forum Review by JudgeSmails First off, A HUGE thank you to MGS and Honma for letting me test out and review this driver for the forums.  My real name is Scott, b

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Great stuff so far guys, really like the sound and the performance looks like it will be really good but that glossy top could be too much. Give me a nice muted top any day.

I don't think it looks too bad, at least not from the pics anyways. 

Of course, if I was standing over it with the sun directly overhead, my answer might be a bit different!

  • Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

I don't think it looks too bad, at least not from the pics anyways. 

Of course, if I was standing over it with the sun directly overhead, my answer might be a bit different!

Honestly it's never been an issue for me...I dig it.  To me the gloss adds a very sleek, premium look.

The other knock I've heard is the lack of an alignment aid on top.  I suppose I can understand that argument, but again to each his own.  Doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I tend to prefer the clean look.  I game a TE CBX 119 in a 3 wood and 3 hybrid and same thing with those clubs, no visual aids on the crown.  Point being, it certainly suits my preferences.

  • Like 6

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

I don't think it looks too bad, at least not from the pics anyways. 

Of course, if I was standing over it with the sun directly overhead, my answer might be a bit different!

The club looks great but the last thing I need is to see myself in the club, The distraction of seeing my own glorious swing would be too much 🤪😁

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Honestly it's never been an issue for me...I dig it.  To me the gloss adds a very sleek, premium look.

The other knock I've heard is the lack of an alignment aid on top.  I suppose I can understand that argument, but again to each his own.  Doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I tend to prefer the clean look.  I game a TE CBX 119 in a 3 wood and 3 hybrid and same thing with those clubs, no visual aids on the crown.  Point being, it certainly suits my preferences.

I totally agree about the premium look, Honma take that very seriously. The lack of alignment aid doesn't bother me either, I line up towards the toe anyway. Well I did before the new hip came along and changed my swing....

  • Like 4

 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Good article/video about Honma on the MGS front page...

https://mygolfspy.com/whats-next-for-honma-golf/

I just received my TW-W4 wedges and got them out on course yesterday.... All I can say is wow they are spectacular. 

I think if Honma stays the course based on the reviews so far here, and what I am seeing online on other forums they will crack the NA market. I think 2020 just really threw a wrench in it

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

 Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

I just received my TW-W4 wedges and got them out on course yesterday.... All I can say is wow they are spectacular. 

I think if Honma stays the course based on the reviews so far here, and what I am seeing online on other forums they will crack the NA market. I think 2020 just really threw a wrench in it

I absolutely agree.  I'm really interested in the tour play he alluded to in the video for next year too.  Honestly, what a tour pro is doing has absolutely zero impact on what I put in my bag, but for a lot of consumers it does.  It will be interesting to see who they recruit into their stable, contract or non-contract, and what impact that has.

  • Like 4

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I absolutely agree.  I'm really interested in the tour play he alluded to in the video for next year too.  Honestly, what a tour pro is doing has absolutely zero impact on what I put in my bag, but for a lot of consumers it does.  It will be interesting to see who they recruit into their stable, contract or non-contract, and what impact that has.

There were quite a few tour players testing either the driver or irons during the COVID break... May have some coming up that we don't know about

I am with you 100%... What tour pros play don't help me decide what to buy but these reviews and forums do!

  • Like 3

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

 Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to go to the range at lunch today and hit a few.  Honestly I wasn't working on anything with my swing, just needed to take some anger out on a few balls. Early in the session I was pulling quite a few, and the tomohawk move in the middle is kinda my default corrective action, but I adjusted my grip before the last few swings and hit those last two really pure! 

Also I'll work on my club twirl before the next video

 

  • Like 3

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a chance to play one of the local country clubs yesterday and I feel like I’m really starting to get a good feel with the TR20 after making a few swing improvements. Hit 8/14 fairways with all but 1 miss being barely off the fairway. The 1 bad miss was because I misunderstood where I needed to aim and it resulted in a double bogey. Ended up finishing -4 for the day with 6 birdies.

 

This was one of my better drives of the day

IMG_0922.JPG.a005ac39cccef4e573de41ef2ab9fe40.JPG

 

  • Like 4

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (13.5) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a round in today. First round on my normal course. I played the blues because of the group I was with and hit the Honma okay. I had a few misses when I was trying to kill it, but hit it a lot better on the back 9. Also hit a nice 85% controlled cut on a drivable par 4, and the workability was great.  Everything was pretty good today except my lag putting 🤬

I'm going to tinker with the weights and lofts and try again tomorrow.

 

-cd22l9.jpg

Screenshot_20200801-131143.png

Screenshot_20200801-131201.png

Screenshot_20200801-131215.png

Screenshot_20200801-131222.png

Screenshot_20200801-131245.png

  • Like 2

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 460 TR20 and I hit 70% of our fairways yesterday...

588727098_WillowLakes1Aug.png.44a310dcfc367b6dd7158d08030a28e2.png

I'm not a big hitter and I'm probably never going to be. I'm far more of a Zach Johnson than I am a Dustin Johnson; I make my scores being good with a wedge and decent with the flatstick.  Finding fairways is hugely important for me to play well, and the TR20 is really turning out to be a forgiving fairway finder for me.  And while I'm not long, I continue to find myself farther down the fairway than I have been before.  A couple drives crept into the 280, 290 range, which for me is a big knock.

Oh, and I got on a launch monitor and confirmed it.  This time feel is real folks, the Honma is a great driver for me.  More on that in a future post, coming very soon!

  • Like 4

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 8:06 AM, Nunfa0 said:

The club looks great but the last thing I need is to see myself in the club, The distraction of seeing my own glorious swing would be too much 🤪😁

I’m looking at the ball, so I never notice my reflection even on the sunniest days...

  • Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

Link to post
Share on other sites
I decided to change the driver settings a bit between Saturday and Sunday's round.  I changed the loft from position FL to position CL which is changed loft and lie angle 1 degree, and also moved the 9 gram weight from the front to the back.  I played the tips on Sunday, and overall the ball flight was great, maybe better than before.  The higher ball flight increased my carry numbers a bit, and 7 of 14 drives were over 300 total. I still over-cooked a couple when I tried to swing hard, which killed me on a couple par 5's, and I flew into 3 fairway bunkers 265-285 out that were still really good strikes, but overall, will probably go with this set up on calm or damp days, and go back to standard loft (8.5) on windy and dry days.
 
I didn't toy much with my settings on my old driver, but adjusting the angle on the shaft made me a bit nervous.  After it's fairly tight, you have to go til you hear 2 loud clicks to make sure it's secure, and it sounds rather painful for the club, but everything is okay!
 
 

IMG_20200801_171859.jpg

IMG_20200801_172249.jpg

IMG_20200801_172407.jpg

IMG_20200801_174118.jpg

  • Like 6

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, here goes...so I got on a launch monitor at GolfTEC in Omaha and got some comparables between the TR20 and my current gamer.

573342120_IMG_4028(1).jpg.18afe45835d98e7d09b0bac7ec3c73c8.jpgIMG_4030.jpg.042837c45f2b2cf1310454d2d6bdeafe.jpg

I wasn't putting very good swings on it, with either club, but if golf is a game of misses then here is some data on which club gave me the better misses.  I'll give you the raw data first, then provide some comments on my challenges as a driver of the golf ball and this session overall.

So, I first hit some shots with the TR20.  These were almost all blocks, which is my typical miss.  Then came my old Callaway Epic.  Here are those numbers:

710088105_HonmavsEpic1.png.53827b032781c080acc7bdda2e0e63d1.png

So, at first glance, ball speed is up with the Honma, and so is spin, while average carry and overall distance goes to the Epic.  However, the bigger/better shots are in the Honma, it's just the averages that it lost on.  (Granted, small sample size here.)

I then went back to the Honma, being a little more warmed up at that point.  These are the second set of Honma numbers, compared to the same Epic data set:

89302624_HonmavsEpic2.png.a33d0c85c1cb8f5b5930c45bbd76d0bc.png

So, ball speed is up with the Honma by roughly 4 mph, carry by 5 yards, distance is about the same.  However, there is a mega-high spin miss in the second Honma test of 3800 RPM spin, 218 carry, and 236 total...obviously a big miss that I should have deleted from the data.  If you take that shot out, average ball speed becomes 143.7, carry becomes 242.8, and average distance becomes 265.1.

So, on what i would call a bad ball-striking day with the club I struggle with the most, the Honma TR20 proved to be an upgrade over my gamer.  My spin numbers are all over the place to the point that I might tinker a bit more, but still, I'm otherwise convinced this club is a very good fit for me.  I know, because I also tested a few other clubs!

IMG_4023.jpg.60d24148371609399ac70cbd3534d93a.jpgIMG_4020.jpg.83f691db36677a1bb908ee621415cde6.jpg

I'll post those results later in the week!  (Got to keep readers coming back...) For now, let me hit you with my caveats and I'll let you take them or leave them...

1)  I'm not a very good driver of the golf ball.  I'm not awful, but I'm not good either.  With almost every other club I put what I think is an athletic swing on the ball, but with driver I have a very hard time being loose and athletic versus using some kind of barbarian smash swing.  Case in point, after testing these, I spent the next 30 minutes doing a gap analysis of the top end of my bag.  I hit my 3-wood off the deck for 5 shots, and my lowest ball speed number was 141, and I averaged 143.  That's right, same as driver. My coach attributed it to comfort level, and tempo, and said he sees it all the time actually.  For one thing, you're a little close to the sweet spot with 3 wood, but maybe more importantly, most people accept a certain yardage with the 3 wood versus an "as far as you can" mentality with driver.  The latter is definitely me.  (I also would say I hate hitting in bays, but now I'm just whining...)

2)  I had already played 18 before I ever got to the fitting, had been having a few drinks the night before, hadn't had lunch...excuse excuse excuse.  Point is, I was a little gassed and it showed...my swing speed never got past 103 and I'm usually at 105ish, and those blocks I hit usually happen when I don't post up on my left side and start sliding a little more.  Sorry if I fouled up the experiment...we're all human.

Let me know your thoughts and ask any questions.  More testing goodness to come!

  • Like 4

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Alright, here goes...so I got on a launch monitor at GolfTEC in Omaha and got some comparables between the TR20 and my current gamer.

573342120_IMG_4028(1).jpg.18afe45835d98e7d09b0bac7ec3c73c8.jpgIMG_4030.jpg.042837c45f2b2cf1310454d2d6bdeafe.jpg

I wasn't putting very good swings on it, with either club, but if golf is a game of misses then here is some data on which club gave me the better misses.  I'll give you the raw data first, then provide some comments on my challenges as a driver of the golf ball and this session overall.

So, I first hit some shots with the TR20.  These were almost all blocks, which is my typical miss.  Then came my old Callaway Epic.  Here are those numbers:

710088105_HonmavsEpic1.png.53827b032781c080acc7bdda2e0e63d1.png

So, at first glance, ball speed is up with the Honma, and so is spin, while average carry and overall distance goes to the Epic.  However, the bigger/better shots are in the Honma, it's just the averages that it lost on.  (Granted, small sample size here.)

I then went back to the Honma, being a little more warmed up at that point.  These are the second set of Honma numbers, compared to the same Epic data set:

89302624_HonmavsEpic2.png.a33d0c85c1cb8f5b5930c45bbd76d0bc.png

So, ball speed is up with the Honma by roughly 4 mph, carry by 5 yards, distance is about the same.  However, there is a mega-high spin miss in the second Honma test of 3800 RPM spin, 218 carry, and 236 total...obviously a big miss that I should have deleted from the data.  If you take that shot out, average ball speed becomes 143.7, carry becomes 242.8, and average distance becomes 265.1.

So, on what i would call a bad ball-striking day with the club I struggle with the most, the Honma TR20 proved to be an upgrade over my gamer.  My spin numbers are all over the place to the point that I might tinker a bit more, but still, I'm otherwise convinced this club is a very good fit for me.  I know, because I also tested a few other clubs!

IMG_4023.jpg.60d24148371609399ac70cbd3534d93a.jpgIMG_4020.jpg.83f691db36677a1bb908ee621415cde6.jpg

I'll post those results later in the week!  (Got to keep readers coming back...) For now, let me hit you with my caveats and I'll let you take them or leave them...

1)  I'm not a very good driver of the golf ball.  I'm not awful, but I'm not good either.  With almost every other club I put what I think is an athletic swing on the ball, but with driver I have a very hard time being loose and athletic versus using some kind of barbarian smash swing.  Case in point, after testing these, I spent the next 30 minutes doing a gap analysis of the top end of my bag.  I hit my 3-wood off the deck for 5 shots, and my lowest ball speed number was 141, and I averaged 143.  That's right, same as driver. My coach attributed it to comfort level, and tempo, and said he sees it all the time actually.  For one thing, you're a little close to the sweet spot with 3 wood, but maybe more importantly, most people accept a certain yardage with the 3 wood versus an "as far as you can" mentality with driver.  The latter is definitely me.  (I also would say I hate hitting in bays, but now I'm just whining...)

2)  I had already played 18 before I ever got to the fitting, had been having a few drinks the night before, hadn't had lunch...excuse excuse excuse.  Point is, I was a little gassed and it showed...my swing speed never got past 103 and I'm usually at 105ish, and those blocks I hit usually happen when I don't post up on my left side and start sliding a little more.  Sorry if I fouled up the experiment...we're all human.

Let me know your thoughts and ask any questions.  More testing goodness to come!

Wow, love this post. Super thoughtful review and your effort to put some time in with this thing is sincerely appreciated. Same to all the other testers. Appreciate all the posts and data and thoughts, good and bad. It'll make us better.

My first takeaway is that I'm excited about the ball speed you're picking up. Looks like that 149 is a bit out of an outlier, launch is super low and the spin is high too. But even with that removed it looks like the speed is up. 

Love where the launch is too. Next key is getting that spin down just a bit. That last shot in the 2nd Honma data set is pretty much gold standard. LA between 12 and 15 and spin between 22-2500 RPM. That's how to maximize distance, and the numbers bear that out. Your 4th shot in the 2nd Honma data set reinforces that theory too...

Let's talk a bit more about how we can toggle down that spin. We can maybe mess with the weights a bit or tweak the hosel setting to make those 12-15 launches and 22-2500 spins become the norm. Bonus points if we can bump launch up a little higher too. Shoot me a text and let's talk weight and hosel configuration. Let's make this thing a rocket.

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PrestonAtHonma said:

Wow, love this post. Super thoughtful review and your effort to put some time in with this thing is sincerely appreciated. Same to all the other testers. Appreciate all the posts and data and thoughts, good and bad. It'll make us better.

My first takeaway is that I'm excited about the ball speed you're picking up. Looks like that 149 is a bit out of an outlier, launch is super low and the spin is high too. But even with that removed it looks like the speed is up. 

Love where the launch is too. Next key is getting that spin down just a bit. That last shot in the 2nd Honma data set is pretty much gold standard. LA between 12 and 15 and spin between 22-2500 RPM. That's how to maximize distance, and the numbers bear that out. Your 4th shot in the 2nd Honma data set reinforces that theory too...

Let's talk a bit more about how we can toggle down that spin. We can maybe mess with the weights a bit or tweak the hosel setting to make those 12-15 launches and 22-2500 spins become the norm. Bonus points if we can bump launch up a little higher too. Shoot me a text and let's talk weight and hosel configuration. Let's make this thing a rocket.

Text on it’s way brother!!

  • Like 3

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wow, love this post. Super thoughtful review and your effort to put some time in with this thing is sincerely appreciated. Same to all the other testers. Appreciate all the posts and data and thoughts, good and bad. It'll make us better.
My first takeaway is that I'm excited about the ball speed you're picking up. Looks like that 149 is a bit out of an outlier, launch is super low and the spin is high too. But even with that removed it looks like the speed is up. 
Love where the launch is too. Next key is getting that spin down just a bit. That last shot in the 2nd Honma data set is pretty much gold standard. LA between 12 and 15 and spin between 22-2500 RPM. That's how to maximize distance, and the numbers bear that out. Your 4th shot in the 2nd Honma data set reinforces that theory too...
Let's talk a bit more about how we can toggle down that spin. We can maybe mess with the weights a bit or tweak the hosel setting to make those 12-15 launches and 22-2500 spins become the norm. Bonus points if we can bump launch up a little higher too. Shoot me a text and let's talk weight and hosel configuration. Let's make this thing a rocket.

So cool to see the manufacturer tracking this test and offering nearly real time adjustments


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

 Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

Link to post
Share on other sites

During the GolfTEC fitting I also had a chance to compare the Honma TR20 against a few other OEMs.

IMG_4023.jpg.fb471278965fa8a4a5c9749d687fa09e.jpgIMG_4021.jpg.380d681d2b4589341150305770279ca4.jpg

First out of the gate was the Ping G410 Plus.

IMG_4025.jpg.37b388ea3ecb28819637de30e7eb7084.jpg

And here were the results, using the same Honma data set followed by a few shots with the G410 set to a draw bias:

:Ping.png.6bdfa4ed6c32a5206b2a6e5a33af7725.png

Again, I acknowledge this is a small sample size.  (Try to keep in mind I was on the clock, and on my dollar, and was also doing a gap analysis at the top of my bag later in this session so I couldn't hammer out a ton of shots.)  

Remember, removing the Honma high-spin outlier, the average ball speed becomes 143.7, carry becomes 242.8, and average distance becomes 265.1.

This particular test showed me the Ping was definitely not for me, and that FOR ME the Honma is clearly superior.

Next up, the Callaway MAvRIK...

 

  • Like 3

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not used the Honma TR20 but i have used two Honma Beres drivers and they are fantastic. They are very forgiving first of all and they are great for distance. I had a Ping G400 and the Honma Beres was by far better in my opinion.

  • Like 1

Allen

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...