TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway Apex Pro

beads81

There are tons of positive and negative reviews on clubs out there.  They really don't mean much, though.  What works for one player may or may not work for you.  Best bet is to go hit them, see what you think of them, then, if you like them, have them fit for you.

I play Apex CF19 clubs, custom fit for me.  I love them.  My friend can't hit them worth a darn, but hits his TaylorMade 790's just fine.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

I played the 2013 Apex pros and loved them, I really want to hit the CF19’s as I’m looking for new irons but COVID has canceled all the demo days and I don’t like buying clubs that I haven’t hit outside. (Mats hid problems)

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I’ve since hit the apex pros outside and though they felt really nice I’m going to hold out until I can try some of the other irons on my list this year. 

really want to try out the titleist t100s irons after reading all of the reviews on her about them. 

What I've always liked about the Apex Pros is that they feel incredibly soft and nice, but are not presented in an intimidating package. I was between the Mavrik Pros and the Apex Pros, and I only went with the Mavriks because I could use the extra distance. The Apex Pros are, to me, one of the few Player's Irons that offer soft feel and consistency in a confidence-inspiring package.

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Callaway seems to have fixed the jumper from the fairway with the latest release. I’ve had or tested the 2014 and 2016 versions. They are good clubs but the jumper was an issue.

I prefer the z5x5 or 7x5 series from Srixon over the apex/apex pro. Ap2 and now t100/100-s have been better options as well for me

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Callaway seems to have fixed the jumper from the fairway with the latest release.

I think the jumper issue is still there. I was hitting PW a couple of weeks ago for most wanted testing and I did hit a couple that were well beyond the normal dispersion pattern I was seeing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

I think the jumper issue is still there. I was hitting PW a couple of weeks ago for most wanted testing and I did hit a couple that were well beyond the normal dispersion pattern I was seeing.

I haven’t read any long term reviews on them but the ones I saw a few moths after release there hadn’t been any report. That’s interesting to hear it’s still there. I don’t recall anyone talking about that issue with the rogue or mavrik irons and I’m surprised that they couldn’t get the apex away from the flaw.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I haven’t read any long term reviews on them but the ones I saw a few moths after release there hadn’t been any report. That’s interesting to hear it’s still there. I don’t recall anyone talking about that issue with the rogue or mavrik irons and I’m surprised that they couldn’t get the apex away from the flaw.

Might have been me hitting it perfectly, but when you have been hitting them about 128 carry and then carry one over 140 it makes you wonder.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Might have been me hitting it perfectly, but when you have been hitting them about 128 carry and then carry one over 140 it makes you wonder.

True. The problem is it puts the thought in your head of will this shot go the distance I’m expecting.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the new ones today at Dick’s....I still love the way they feel....very smooth action, BUT the jumper issue is still there...it’s why I got rid of my 2014 set.

I hit a series of 8 irons today and about every 5th or 6th swing I got a jumper....I hit 5 in a row 145-150 carry then boom....164....then back to 145-150,...then boom 168.

It drove me crazy when I played them as my gamers.....put a perfect swing on a ball and you’re 20 yards long.

Otherwise they are great clubs!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 7/18/2020 at 7:44 PM, TBT said:

I hit the new ones today at Dick’s....I still love the way they feel....very smooth action, BUT the jumper issue is still there...it’s why I got rid of my 2014 set.

I hit a series of 8 irons today and about every 5th or 6th swing I got a jumper....I hit 5 in a row 145-150 carry then boom....164....then back to 145-150,...then boom 168.

It drove me crazy when I played them as my gamers.....put a perfect swing on a ball and you’re 20 yards long.

Otherwise they are great clubs!

Thank you for the information, I have been looking in to Sub 70 irons and they are only an hour away from me, I am going to set up an appointment to go try them out. heard a lot of good things about them on here.

I also want to try the Titleist T100S irons, tried the Taylormade P790 irons and just wasn't a huge fan of them.